New to home brewing

Reaction score
I planned to home brew a while ago but never went through with it because I found a source so it was easier not to. Now I want to try it for real..Need some help. Here is my old thread list but I just need some info. on the sizes/measures of the supplies I need and different methods used:

Hot Plate -(thermolyne lab hotplate HP2305B)
Weighing Scale
Glass Beakers
Graduated cylinders

Pre-sealed vials (5x50mL vials)
Millipore steri cup filter unit? (how many mL receiver 500mL or 1000ml?)
.22um filter tops/papers (these are filter papers for top I believe that are .22um?)
Hand vacuum pump + hose tubing
Whatman syringe filters? (do I need them if I have filter unit? for what?)

Cotton Seed Oil ( or sesame oil?)
Benzyl Alcohol 16 oz.
Benzyl Benzoate 16 oz.

25cc syringe size to draw the brewed product out of receiver and inject into the pre-sealed sterile vials with a 19 gauge needle

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Seems like your lost more so than looking for what u need....I would figure out what your doing before buying anything. U can have all the right tools but if u live in an unsanitary house or have pets your most likely going to cause more harm than good.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I planned to home brew a while ago but never went through with it because I found a source so it was easier not to. Now I want to try it for real..Need some help. Here is my old thread list but I just need some info. on the sizes/measures of the supplies I need and different methods used:

Hot Plate -(thermolyne lab hotplate HP2305B used on ebay)
Weighing Scale (free)
Glass Beakers (50-100-250mL)
Graduated cylinder (10ml?)
Pre-sealed vials (5x20mL sealed vials)
Nalgene Filter Unit? or millipore steri cup filter unit? (how many mL receiver 500mL or 1000ml?)
.22um filters (these are filter papers for top?)
Hand vacuum pump
Whatman syringe filters? (do I need them? for what?)
Cotton Seed Oil (sesame carrier? whats the best oil?)
Benzyl Alcohol 16 oz.
Benzyl Benzoate 16 oz.

5cc or 10 cc syringe size to draw the brewed product and inject into the pre-sealed sterile vials? with a 19 gauge needle?

Thanks for any help.

I will let someone else help with the equipment to brew but let me just offer my experience with this.

This isn't for retail so don't do 20cc bottles. Do 50cc. Also a 5 to 10 cc syringe is small. Get a huge one or at least like a 25cc.

Another option is to just use your media bottle (which I do not see listed). Purchase a glass hybex media bottle with the open caps and a few septa. You can just draw from the media bottle and skip the vials. That gets messy.

Reaction score
I will let someone else help with the equipment to brew but let me just offer my experience with this.

This isn't for retail so don't do 20cc bottles. Do 50cc. Also a 5 to 10 cc syringe is small. Get a huge one or at least like a 25cc.

Another option is to just use your media bottle (which I do not see listed). Purchase a glass hybex media bottle with the open caps and a few septa. You can just draw from the media bottle and skip the vials. That gets messy.

Thanks Pillar. I'll add the glass hybex media bottle to the list and consider what u said about not using vials, but wouldn't this mean the media bottle is unsterile and un-sealed? I'm looking on google now

And @flying dragon thanks for the concern haha but I'm not that lost just want to double check..But yeah this is a new learning experience for me but it needs to be done so expect more questions as I go, any help is much appreciated....I've only ordered the hot plate, glass graduated cylinders, glass beakers so far

Last edited:
Reaction score
Be prepared to botch a couple batches before you get it right. IMO brewing isn't that hard if you know the basics and can handle the waiting--aka don't rush the process.

I also wouldn't sell what you brew, but that's just me. If I were ever to do it, I would do it for myself only. Does it make it legal? No, but does it make it less illegal? Yes. There are many "add on" charges that the LE could give you for distribution.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks Pillar. I'll add the glass hybex media bottle to the list and consider what u said about not using vials, but wouldn't this mean the media bottle is unsterile and un-sealed? I'm looking on google now

And @flying dragon thanks for the concern haha but I'm not that lost just want to double check..But yeah this is a new learning experience for me but it needs to be done so expect more questions as I go, any help is much appreciated. I'll definitely be asking more questions as I go...I've only ordered the hot plate, glass graduated cylinders, glass beakers so far

You filter into a sterilized media bottle. This is what fd is referring to. Him and I both address hygiene first.

Reaction score
Be prepared to botch a couple batches before you get it right. IMO brewing isn't that hard if you know the basics and can handle the waiting--aka don't rush the process.

I also wouldn't sell what you brew, but that's just me. If I were ever to do it, I would do it for myself only. Does it make it legal? No, but does it make it less illegal? Yes. There are many "add on" charges that the LE could give you for distribution.

Tuna I don't plan on selling at all. I also have no pets although I will be getting my gf a baby dwarf bunny for xmas (it will be in separate area) I have good hygiene and understand the importance of sanitary/sterile technique I live in a newer home and have worked in laboratory settings. I am worried about botching my batches though :/ so I want to get it right and follow a step by step procedure I'm definitely planning on taking my time and learning before I dive in

Reaction score
Tuna I don't plan on selling at all. I also have no pets although I will be getting my gf a baby dwarf bunny for xmas (it will be in separate area) I have good hygiene and understand the importance of sanitary/sterile technique I live in a newer home and have worked in laboratory settings. I am worried about botching my batches though :/ so I want to get it right and follow a step by step procedure I'm definitely planning on taking my time and learning before I dive in

There is a lot of info out there, most of it can be helpful. Being sterile is top priority, but if you look at some pictures in some of the cookbooks it will downright frighten you with some "sterile" procedures people use.

If you take your time and follow the directions as they are listed, you shouldn't botch any batches. Some may be a bit lower dosed as there is typical spillage if you haven't done it before, but it gets better with practice. This site has everything you would need to know with regard to "how do I do it," but if you want some more specific answers post them up.

I am a fan of using smaller vials to get my measurements right (10ml bottles for final product). I suppose I could use larger (50ml) as it's for personal use, but I guess I got into a habit and don't wish to break it.

Reaction score
There is a lot of info out there, most of it can be helpful. Being sterile is top priority, but if you look at some pictures in some of the cookbooks it will downright frighten you with some "sterile" procedures people use.

If you take your time and follow the directions as they are listed, you shouldn't botch any batches. Some may be a bit lower dosed as there is typical spillage if you haven't done it before, but it gets better with practice. This site has everything you would need to know with regard to "how do I do it," but if you want some more specific answers post them up.

I am a fan of using smaller vials to get my measurements right (10ml bottles for final product). I suppose I could use larger (50ml) as it's for personal use, but I guess I got into a habit and don't wish to break it.

Gotcha thanks for the info Tuna. I have been reading a lot here and elsewhere it seems everyone uses their own slightly different method so I'll def have more questions in the future. I'm actually excited to do this

metsfan4life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
its fun to do but god it can be a pain in the ass. as many here have told me... DO A SMALL BATCH! dont waste it trying it on a large one. BOL

Reaction score
its fun to do but god it can be a pain in the ass. as many here have told me... DO A SMALL BATCH! dont waste it trying it on a large one. BOL

Reaction score
what vials you usually use? Vials are nit so complicated equipment, are these vails disposable? Or if thay are not, how do you make it sterille when you want to contain another type of liquid? thabks!

New Threads