MLB stretch run

Marshall

Reaction score
Been a good season guys. We were down for most of it. The Orioles are exciting, man I don't think I've ever seen a player be as home run hot, or destroy a team with home runs like Mark Reynolds and him hitting them against the Yankees in the past 2 weeks.

rAJJIN

Elite
Reaction score
Still pulling for st.louis here.
Berkman sure was a let down this year.
I was hoping him and carpenter were just resting
Up the first 1/2.... But damn. Doubting either does much
At all now. Still not out though!

slide

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Big talk about shutting down Strasburg...any thoughts? His last two outings werent that good, but he had a solid year. Man, thats a tough decision to shut him down going into the playoffs. Havent been there since 1933...man thats tough.

-slide

rAJJIN

Elite
Reaction score
He looked awesome in the game I seen!
Davey Johnson may want to re- think that one.
I'd sure want him come playoffs

Marshall

Reaction score
Ya, the Cardinals are definitely still in it. Their starting pitching kind of tanked and Berkman being banged up has hurt. Beltran homered today, but he really cooled off after an amazing start. They still have plenty of offense and the pitching isn't too bad. The NL is up for grabs once the playoffs start. I think the Reds are the best team, but they are beatable in a series.

Marshall

Reaction score
Shutting down Strasburg is just ridiculous. There's zero science in it, I mean hell the guy they named the surgery after averaged 230+ innings for the first 5 years after he had it. It's horrible mis-management, and it's a shame that the agent is so involved with the team. These agents are destroying the sport to some degree imo.

They planned to be competitive, Davey Johnson said in spring training,"if we don't make the playoffs they should fire me". So if they wanted to limit Strasburg's innings and planned on contending, they should have had him do an extended spring training and not come up to the big leagues until mid-May.

It would definitely serve the agent and GM right if the Nationals get bumped from the playoffs, which without Strasburg, I don't see them winning a series.

You KNOW the other teams contending (Reds, Braves, Cardinals, Pirates, Giants, Dodgers) are happy as hell now !! :)

Marshall

Reaction score
Wow, hard to believe the Phillies and Brewers snuck right into the wildcard race. Going to be an exciting last 3 weeks to the season. Pirates are just crumbling away again. Maybe they should go back to the old colorful "We are the Family" uniforms I use to love :)

1980 Pirates.JPG

Marshall

Reaction score
Cards took 2 of 3 from the Dodgers. Braves have a lock on 1 wildcard, should be a dogfight for the other spot.

Rangers are having a scare from the A's, they better step it up.
Yankees and Orioles still battling it out. Tampa hanging in there.

White Sox and Tigers could go down to the last day.

slide

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Tigers are killing me....and they blew a chance today losing that make-up game to Chicago. Now down 3 games w/ only 16 remaining. I hope they get hot.

-slide

Jim550

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Still pulling for st.louis here.
Berkman sure was a let down this year.
I was hoping him and carpenter were just resting
Up the first 1/2.... But damn. Doubting either does much
At all now. Still not out though!

I hear you bro, hopefully we can pull it out!!!

Marshall

Reaction score
White Sox have gotten a great year out of Sale and a good year out of Peavy. Their lineup has been solid top to bottom. Just one of those years where everyone stayed fairly healthy and contributed. Their bullpen is weak though. That could bite them ass eventually.

Marshall

Reaction score
Wow, look at old Ichiro, 11 for his last 15, all Yankee wins. Impressive.

Interesting to see Melky Cabrera remove himself for consideration for the NL batting title. I think it's a professional thing to do, have to applaud him.

slide

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Interesting to see Melky Cabrera remove himself for consideration for the NL batting title. I think it's a professional thing to do, have to applaud him.

Well, I dont know if I applaud him. Had he not gotten caught, he would have gladly accepted that title/award. Doesnt do much for me...

-slide

Marshall

Reaction score
Well, I dont know if I applaud him. Had he not gotten caught, he would have gladly accepted that title/award. Doesnt do much for me...

-slide

True slide, but if you look at the league leaders from 94-2010, there's a lot of tainted ones. Granted they didn't get caught, but still. Braun got openly busted and kept an MVP. The technicality avoided the suspension, not the fact that he was using.

I don't know if it's me, but I do notice the average player somewhat less built than 5-10 years ago. I think the game is slowly getting cleaned up.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ichiro 3-5 with a homer. Who would've thought he'd go on a 14-20 streak in the middle of playoff run. Not a Yankee fan, but they're looking tough to beat. The AL teams seem to be getting weaker outside of NY and Baltimore.

slide

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That Yankees/As game yesterday was crazy. I enjoy baseball, but really, I have a hard time watching games during the regular season...up until/around this time of year. Then, it seems to be a little more exciting (for me). White Sox have dropped a few in a row...Tigers right there, ready to pounce, with Cabrera staring down the Triple Crown...damn, that would be something else.

-slide

Marshall

Reaction score
Ya, the AL Central is going to be the best race. A's/Angels for the AL wildcard spot with probably Baltimore.

Marshall

Reaction score
The A's are just unstoppable. Texas hanging on for their life. Cardinals look like they have the 2nd wildcard wrapped up.

slide

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Tigers w/ a two game lead and four to play. Verlander looked good on the mound yesterday...Cabrera now tied for homers and leading in BA/RBI. Id love to see the Triple Crown happen.

Yankees and Os tied right now...What a race in the AL.

-s

Marshall

Reaction score
I never would have guessed @ game 158, NO ONE has clinched a playoff spot in the AL. Amazing.

Would be great for a Triple Crown for Cabrera. I can't believe he hits for as high an average as he does, considering he has zero foot speed.

New Threads