Protein Enhances Weightloss / By Cassandra Forsythe

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Protein Enhances Weightloss

By Cassandra Forsythe

This week, Australian researchers published a long-term weight loss study in healthy adult (49 + or - 9 years) overweight women (BMI initially ~32).

In this study, they followed 79 women for more than a year (64 weeks) to see how protein influences weight loss and compliance to a dietary program.

The women were placed on one of two diets: A energy-reduced high protein (HP) diet with 34% of energy from protein, 20% of energy from fat, and 46% of energy from carbohydrate, or a energy-reduced high carb (HC) diet with 17% of energy from protein, 20% of energy from fat, and 64% of energy from carbohydrate. For the first 12 weeks of the study, the women saw a dietitian very four weeks to ensure they were following the plan. Then for the remaining 52 weeks, they were asked to follow the same regimen as during the short-term study if they could, but those consuming the HP diet could substitute chicken, fish, or pork for red meat, whereas those consuming the HC diet could omit biscuits and substitute them with more bread, potatoes, or rice. During this time, they only saw a dietitian every 3 months.

As you probably guessed, not every woman was compliant with the program when they were left to do it on their own. During the free-living 52 weeks, when the results of all the women were analysed, it appeared that there was no difference in weight loss or fat loss(about 10 lbs on average and 6 lbs of fat). However, when the women were seperated into those that actually ate the HP diet and those that actually at the HC diet, there was a significant difference: Women who followed a HP diet lost MORE weight and more fat than those that ate the HC diet. Protein intake was inversly related to weight and fat loss such that for those that are more protein lost an average of 14 lbs and 10 lbs of fat compared to those that ate less protein (and more carbs) who lost 7 lbs and 5 lbs of fat over the course of a year.

Body composition was measured my DEXA, the gold standard for body comp assessment. After 64 weeks, body fat was higher in those that ate more carbohydrate and lower in those that ate more protein. The same was seen for belly fat - more belly fat in those that ate a higher carb diet compared to the higher protein diet.

Bone health was also assessed in response to the diets: Overall, decreases in the 24-h urinary bone turnover markers***8212;ratio of dexoypyridinoline to creatinine and the ratio of pyridinoline to creatine were not different between diets and there was no relation with weight loss or any dietary components. Calcium excretion was also not different from week 0 to week 64 in the two dietary groups.

Overall, as you can plainly read here, eating more protein to help a woman lose weight and fat is more beneficial than eating more carbohydrates and less fat.

Now, there are differences among women such that some women will lose more weight and fat with less dietary fat, but on average, for the majority of women out there, bumping up your protein with fresh meats, fish, poultry, and dairy can help you be a bigger loser

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
I'm not saying that protein doesn't enhance weight loss, bc it does, but there are two problems here:
1) her conclusions at the end are not supported by the evidence in the study
2) protein can also enhance weight gain

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
I'm not saying that protein doesn't enhance weight loss, bc it does, but there are two problems here:
1) her conclusions at the end are not supported by the evidence in the study
2) protein can also enhance weight gain
Agree-
I believe a high protein diet in a non-exercising environment could easily cause weight gain. I'm guessing there would need to be more components to the study to arrive at the end result posted.

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
Agree-
I believe a high protein diet in a non-exercising environment could easily cause weight gain. I'm guessing there would need to be more components to the study to arrive at the end result posted.

This is the portion I have a problem with:

Overall, as you can plainly read here, eating more protein to help a woman lose weight and fat is more beneficial than eating more carbohydrates and less fat.

^^^that is a flat out false conclusion and not one supported by the evidence. This is why ppl say they can find a study saying anything they want; conclusions not being supported by the results and/or bias in the researchers. Either way it does have many good points even if I disagree with some of it.

Reaction score
Can you give specific reference for the publication. Authors, title, journal, year or better yet PMID. As with most of these studies the devil's in the detail and patient compliance is the biggest problem. That being said, this is old news. There are many other studies (probably not done on old women though) that have shown that protein helps to lose weight AND prevent muscle loss while on calorie restricted diets. Yes, yes, I know, you have to do other things as well. Don't eat too much, exercise, etc. Now, if you want to dig deeper, some research suggests that just taking BCAA, glutamine, arginine will work even better than protein. Also amino acids are not calorigenic so you get double bonus. Then again, getting protein might be cheaper.

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
Can you give specific reference for the publication. Authors, title, journal, year or better yet PMID. As with most of these studies the devil's in the detail and patient compliance is the biggest problem. That being said, this is old news. There are many other studies (probably not done on old women though) that have shown that protein helps to lose weight AND prevent muscle loss while on calorie restricted diets. Yes, yes, I know, you have to do other things as well. Don't eat too much, exercise, etc. Now, if you want to dig deeper, some research suggests that just taking BCAA, glutamine, arginine will work even better than protein. Also amino acids are not calorigenic so you get double bonus. Then again, getting protein might be cheaper.

I agree with most of your post but where are you getting your info from on the last bit? Amino acids certainly do contain calories, some countries' labeling restrictions allows them to claim 0cals but that's 'labeling restrictions' not reality. Also there is no chance in hell of a combination BCAA/glutamine/Arginine being better than protein. It is impossible to say it simply.

Reaction score
Yes, it's true protein foods enhance the weight loss because protein foods burn the fat more quickly.
Add some natural protein foods specially fish, nuts, beans, green leafy vegetables, and eggs in your routine diet to enhance your weight loss process.

Reaction score
Yes, it's true protein foods enhance the weight loss because protein foods burn the fat more quickly.
Add some natural protein foods specially fish, nuts, beans, green leafy vegetables, and eggs in your routine diet to enhance your weight loss process.
Any comment?

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
Any comment?

No advertising in your sig. This is the only warning.

You're correct in some ways but wrong in others. Protein can enhance weight loss but absolutely not bc it burns fat quicker. The TEF of protein is highest of all the macronutrients making you expend more energy digesting it. This difference isn't all that much in the grand scheme of things though. Another way protein can help is that it helps maintain muscle mass which is important for weight/fat loss. Protein is also very rarely stored as fat but don't take that to mean you can eat u limited protein and not get fat as protein canstill add up to a calorie surplus meaning the dietary fat you eat will all be stored and not oxidized plus it increases the normally unlikely chance that carbs may be stored as fat as well. The foods you listed will not help with weight loss anymore than not having them in the diet will. The key is creating a sound nutritional plan not throwing in a couple of foods that sound healthy.

ProteinFarts

Reaction score
Remember too that 30% of protein calories are used just digesting it. Cuz it takes so long to digest. Ive gained a hundred times eating all protein and Ive losses a hundred times. What seems no more than whichever way Im focused. Clearly though not all just focus

New Threads