Help with meal timing for maximum muscle growth

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
Those who havent read my introduction post im coming off a huge weight loss from 472lbs and currently 245lbs. Im starting lifting to add mass and need help with meal timing. I hit the gym at 5am daily to accomodate my work schedule. Do you big guys eat a whole meal prior to lifting of immeadiatly after? I currently eat after my workout but i really want to maximize my gains! Any help with meal timing throughout the day is appreciated! My diet is all clean and i did bump up my calories adding 1000 more a day because i was still dropping weight fast. 18 lbs in the last 2 weeks! I also cut cardio down to 2 days a week. Thanks in advance fellas!

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Unless you're running slin (dont...) then meal timing during the day is far less important than your total macros relative to your TDEE.

FWIW, I take in just over 600 calories first thing in the morning roughly 60 mins ahead of training and then another 200 calories intra. You quickly get used to training with food in your system, no worries.

Post up your macros and we'll have a look see.

mickems

Elite
Reaction score
^^^^Same here. I don't snack but I eat meals when I whenever I can throughout the day.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
I typically eat the same daily. Pretty boring but has allowed me to be sucessful thus far in this journey. These meals are what i started eating since lifting.
Brekfast- 6 whole scrambled eggs, half cup of boiled potatoes in crab boil(yes im cajun)
1030am - 6oz tuna or chicken salad, no mayonaise in it just celery, chopped eggs and relish, 6 wheat crackers and 4 oz fruit
1pm lunch- 6-8oz grilled chicken with chinese orange sauce, 1 cup steamed veggies and half cup rice
330pm- greek yogurt with granola and fruit about 5 oz of yogurt
7pm, dinner- 6-8 oz blackened redfish or ground beef with 1 cup steamed veggies and half cup of rice.
All rice i use is jasmine. I never drink shakes as i have found they bloat me bad. Should i add/delete anything? Im all ears guys!

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Couple thoughts...

* The content of your diet looks ok to me; I'd like to know more about the relish and how much fruit you're taking in if I'm nitpicking you but overall I'd say you're solid. Do you have a sense of your totals here? If I had to guess, just an eyeball, you're around 170 grams of protein, maybe 100 grams of carbs and prolly less than 100 grams of fat...not a lot of calories for a bloke your size so yea, I'd say we need to up your intake if you're looking to add quality mass.

* Add back calories *SLOWLY* to prevent fat gain. Think in terms of 5-10% increments each week. Monitor the scale and your waistline. One needs to move up, the other doesn't. Add calories when you go flat for two weeks in a row. Hold calories constant for a week if your waistline expands. Good chance your metabolism has slowed a bit, we need to edge it back up slowly as well.

Great progress, Mate! Stay the course now.

- Savage

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I eat once a day; it starts in the morning with a protein shake and ends with a glass of milk when I go to bed. Short a stressful workout, I feel the body doesn't take a break metabolizing what I give it so why should I? Just stay fueled up with clean foods and you'll be just fine.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Noble, you make me so proud. Like a mother watching her son leave the nest. :32 (16):

Onrek

Reaction score
Personally I think the only timing that really matters most are this:

1. Eat ASAP upon waking up, and make sure that meal includes at least 30g of protein. (don't use more than one scoop of whey either if you ever decide to use it, it's useless as your body can't really break down and use any more than roughly ~12-15g of whey every 1.5hrs or so).

2. Preworkout meal- (30 minutes-2 hours pre-training) This varies person to person depending on numerous factors mostly being metabolic rate, but I always have at least a scoop of whey + another few hundred calories to fuel my workout. Everyone's metabolism is different but I train within 30-45 minutes of eating and it works great form me.

3. Post workout meal- Basically eat as much as you can as soon as you can after workout. If you want to get anal about it, some claim that you should skip fats and aim directly for protein and fast carbs first. There is some science to this, but personally I think it's way more important that you eat a lot directly after training, period. Imo as long as it's got 30g+ of protein and isn't just a shake, and is more than 500 calories, you're good to go.

tl;dr version-

1. eat a lot asap when you wake up. 30g protein minimum preferably.
2. eat before you train.
3. eat a crapton after you train. 30g protein minimum preferably.

As for the rest of the day, eat whenever you feel like it. As long as you hit your macro goals you're good.

Fsuphisig

Elite
Reaction score
I personally don't agree with those who say it's More about total macros compared to tdee, to me that's for the lazy. Keeping the waist tight and the metabolism going you need to get used to eating frequently. I don't care what articles people want to post saying otherwise, bodybuilders have been eating the same way for 40 years save a few. 6 meals a day, or every 2-3 hours. Good Protein good carbs and fats from meats, eggs, coconut oil. Hit a 40/40/20 cal split on your plate as a starting point and go from there.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
Added a shake with i scoop whey, half cup oatmeal and a banana and ate 3 scrambled eggs 30 minutes pre workout. Didnt feel bloated and felt like i had more energy to get through the workout better. I ate the other 3 eggs and boiled potatoes imediatly after. I got a lot of good advice and will adjust accordingly so thanks folks!

Reaction score
Recent research has shown that manipulating certain nutrients and their amounts can significantly increase gains in strength and size and burn body fat.

Take around 20-30 grams of whey first thing in the morning.Another wise move is to take in a good amount of complex carbs in the morning to help refuel your glycogen stores for the day ahead. between 40 -60 grams of a complex carb source such as oatmeal or Ezekiel cereal are great choices.

Pre-Workout Loading,Try 30-40 grams of whey protein.40-60 grams of a quality carb source should be taken with whey protein 30 minutes to an hour prior to lifting. Good sources include oatmeal, 100% whole grain bread, rice or a medium sized apple.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
These are the foods you can eat

Skinless Chicken: This is a good source of high quality protein and it helps in muscle repair and maintenance, weight maintenance and improves the bone.

Eggs: Eggs because of their high quality protein content.

Whey Protein: Whey protein is a quick source of protein. They are best taken after workouts. Whey protein is very important in muscle building.

Lean Beef: While a three-ounce serving of lean beef contains only 154 calories, it provides the body with ten essential nutrients. Leen beef contains high quality protein and amino acid that works with insulin to promote muscle growth. This should serve as an important part of your muscle building diet.

Fruits and Veggies: You should include fruits and veggies to your diet because of their rich nutrient and antioxidant properties.

Oatmeal: A great source of carbs for muscle preservation. The low glycemic index value of oatmeal will help increase your satiety, reduce hunger and burn fat.

Supplements: For quick results, it's best to include a muscle building supplement to your diet to complement your efforts. Crazy Bulk is very effective.

That's all we are allowed to eat? Man I have been doing it wrong for years!

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
That's all we are allowed to eat? Man I have been doing it wrong for years!
I read this post early this morning while at the gym so I didn't get to reply until now. now I don't see the post anymore so im assuming he deleted it? I was however thinking the same thing lol.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
Recent research has shown that manipulating certain nutrients and their amounts can significantly increase gains in strength and size and burn body fat.

Take around 20-30 grams of whey first thing in the morning.Another wise move is to take in a good amount of complex carbs in the morning to help refuel your glycogen stores for the day ahead. between 40 -60 grams of a complex carb source such as oatmeal or Ezekiel cereal are great choices.

Pre-Workout Loading,Try 30-40 grams of whey protein.40-60 grams of a quality carb source should be taken with whey protein 30 minutes to an hour prior to lifting. Good sources include oatmeal, 100% whole grain bread, rice or a medium sized apple.
I workout at 430am so I do a whey protein drink mixed with water, 4 whole scrambled eggs and boiled white potatoes pre and then 4 scrambled and either oatmeal or more potatoes post workout. so far I am have great results with that added in and I also added in another whole food meal at 3pm. weight up to 265, waist still a 36. putting on muscle pretty good but arms and traps-delts are where I notice it in pics the most.. thanks guys!

Reaction score
IMO meal timing can only effect glycogen/water. Not lean muscle. Don't be fooled by the studies, they are funded by supplement companies to brainwash you into thinking you need to spend $$$ every month on bcaas, whey protein, etc.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
you need another 60g pro, 40g carbs, 10g fats.

at least.