Opinions on the new NPC "Classic Physique" class.

Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone's .02 is on the new "Classic Physique" class that is new, starting this year. I think it is a great thing for the sport. Over the past few years, the Bodybuilding Olympia has been sort of fading in popularity. Everybody has an opinion as to why this is happening, as do I , but I'll save that for another thread. I think it will give a "revival" to the sport of bodybuilding and you will see an increase in the number of competitors. I like the height/weight parameters, they are key in keeping the heavy steroid use out of this division, yet still leaving room for some very developed, muscular physiques. The heavy steroid use needed to compete in some major competitions keeps many of us from entering the competitive arena. This gives hope for the future. That's just my .02, feel free to comment on it. If there's already a thread on this topic, I haven't seen it, please give me the link.

Reaction score
I don't have anything against it..they needed it for the sport because there's so much competition and the fact is a lot of people do have a genetic limit. It's just another class that is more obtainable than the olympia freaks. I don't think the olympia is going anywhere though, people will always love seeing the freaks on stage wether they admit to it or not.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Love it and like BC said, it's not to replace Mr. Olympia but rather to supplement it. Tons of people these days are into that look.

GuerillaKilla

Peanut Butter ****Sock
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Never been a huge fan of the mass monsters. Distended bellies and ridiculous proportions, it has never been appealing to me. Shit, if these mass guys were to go against any of the "classic physique" guys on stage it would be a blowout. I also hate the term classic physique by the way. They are the true bodybuilders. Instead the mass monsters should be called something along the lines of "transmogrified weightlifting gorillas"

Zane, Schwarzenegger, columbo, serg.... these guys were the real deal.

grind4it

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think its great. Im competing in three shows. Im 9 weeks out from my first show. If i do well ill continue to compete in classic

Maijah

Elite
Reaction score
I think you need the right build to compete in this class. It seems to me (I am no expert) as though they are going for a certain body type that is unattainable without the right genetics.

Reaction score
I think you need the right build to compete in this class. It seems to me (I am no expert) as though they are going for a certain body type that is unattainable without the right genetics.

Yes, It will be interesting to see what they look for. I think the overall winners will most likely be in the over 5'10" classes. For example, a guy that's
6'2" 232 lbs. (height and weight limits) will dwarf someone like myself, 5'9" 192 lbs. (height and weight limits). You're not going to see the mass monsters, but you will see the bigger guys taking the spotlight. If your under 5'10", I think you should pack as much weight up top as possible (arms, shoulders, chest, traps) and gets abs as ripped as possible. Be conservative with how much weight you carry in the quads, classic physiques weren't really quadzillas, as long as they were muscular and lean. That's just my opinion of course and I'm no expert either. I will def. be interesting.

New Threads