Your take on Multivitamins?(B12, Fish oils, magnesium etc you name it) Do they really help the body?

Fruity

Reaction score
Your take on Multivitamins?(B12, Fish oils, magnesium etc you name it) Do they really help the body?

I haven't seen any studies proving the effectiveness of little capsules/pills on health. And I've been told time and again that these little pills do do jack shyt, from Teachers and Doctors alike.

Yet there's such a huge market for them.

Last edited:

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
I take animal pak and love it. When i forget to take it i feel sluggish. I like taking multi!

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
They'll help if your diet is deficient.

It's also a bit of a double edged sword with vitamin toxicity and all.

trodizzle

Elite
Reaction score
Multivitamin to me is an insurance policy, so I take it. (I take Animal Pak)
Fish oil is my other daily supplement, I take it for joints. (I take Muscle Pharm)

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
They'll help if your diet is deficient.

It's also a bit of a double edged sword with vitamin toxicity and all.

Yeah, you need to be careful with overloading. I personally stay away from the ones that have iron in them. I don't need more of that and there's a link to iron and heart disease.

Little evidence they help at all. Waste of money imo.

There's no research that taking in Vit & Mins has any health benefits?

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
Yeah, you need to be careful with overloading. I personally stay away from the ones that have iron in them. I don't need more of that and there's a link to iron and heart disease.

There's no research that taking in Vit & Mins has any health benefits?

Minimal if any and inconclusive at best.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Serious lack of context in this thread.

With regards to multivits, the research does NOT focus on dieting individuals so to suggest that its minimal effects on normal, non-deficient individuals somehow translates to this group would be a serious misapplication of data.
Especially when we consider that practically EVERY single diet causes deficiencies no matter how healthy they may appear on the surface (note that the diets mentioned here were not "severe" by any stretch of the imagination):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20537171

THEN we can focus on athletes where high energy expenditure combined with food selection criteria can also cause deficiencies. Here are two studies illustrating the deficiencies in elity bodybuilders (1) and endurance athletes (2):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8167655
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18500963

And don't even get me started on the plephora of benefits to specific supplements like fish oil, D3, etc.

So yes, in context specific situations like this (dieting, etc) multivit supplementation does make perfect sense in order to play it safe and cover your bases :)

Reaction score
Waste of money and ur gonna piss it out. If you have a solid diet there's no need. If you are gonna waste money on supps the only ones I would use are digestive enzymes, probiotics (enteric coated), & whey protein isolate. Maybe tumeric, fish oil....and niacin (for cholesterol).

Fruity

Reaction score
rippedzilla has given me an interesting viewpoint on this, until now I was with POB.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
I think the Vitamins work great on me I can always tell a difference.

Couple things also to mention I don't use them on a regular basis.

With the b12 I use 1000mcg once a week for 3 weeks than take 2 weeks off.

The whole food multivitamin I will add to my kambucha once every 3 days for 3 weeks then take 2 weeks off.

Yes I know cycling these things isn't necessary but I do it anyway because I don't want to get used to it and not feel the difference anymore type of deal.

VLgUehJ.jpg
8pJ1fy5.jpg

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
I think the Vitamins work great on me I can always tell a difference.

Couple things also to mention I don't use them on a regular basis.

With the b12 I use 1000mcg once a week for 3 weeks than take 2 weeks off.

The whole food multivitamin I will add to my kambucha once every 3 days for 3 weeks then take 2 weeks off.

Yes I know cycling these things isn't necessary but I do it anyway because I don't want to get used to it and not feel the difference anymore type of deal.

Placebo is a hell of a drug :)

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Can you recommend me a good UGL source of placebo? How often do I pin it? Can I stack it with anything else?

I'm not the expert but I keep hearing good things about this "tillacle labs"...quality pharma grade powders from the mountains of Peru...

Pinning frequency is individual specific but the Peruvians, in ancient Spanish textbooks, loved to stack it with a bit of "Mierda de Toro" and plenty of "Disparates" to create an environment known as "Cero Ganancia"...

You will see nothing, but feel everything bro :)

Last edited:

Fruity

Reaction score
I'd like you all to PM or post me your qualifications to take part in this topic.

On one hand I have doctors and teachers and POB saying its silly.
/
On the other hand everyone else here seems to be for it.

Last edited:

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
I'd like you all to PM or post me your qualifications to take part in this topic.

On one hand I have doctors and teachers and POB saying its silly.
/
On the other hand everyone else here seems to be for it.

jr87td.jpg

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Serious lack of context in this thread.

With regards to multivits.......

Rip is always letting the facts get in the way of a good argument.

Nice read brother by the way. The next attack is probably going to be on uptake and timing.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm going to elaborate a bit on what POB said. There is no scientific proof that vitamin supplements prevent disease or improves health. Theirs no denying that long term defiencies can cause illness but for a healthy individual they are not necessary. It can also be a bad thing. Many of these multi vitamins contain 100% or even more of the daily allowance. A person who may have a preexisting medical condition that has a vitamin defiency might consider taking a vitamin to address that defiency but for the rest of is healthy peeps it's unnecessary.

Last edited:

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
I'm going to elaborate a bit on what POB said. There is no scientific proof that vitamin supplements prevent disease or improves health. Theirs no denying that long term defiencies can cause illness but for a healthy individual they are not necessary. It can also be a bad thing. Many of these multi vitamins contain 100% or even more of the daily allowance. A person who may have a preexisting medical condition that has a vitamin defiency might consider taking a vitamin to address that defiency but for the rest of is healthy peeps it's unnecessary.

I respect your opinion, but have to disagree.

Healthy or not, if your dieting, and dieters shouldn't be ignored when making these recommendations, it makes no sense to not consume a basic multivit as an insurance policy when you KNOW that your not going to hit your individual RDI.
There is no such thing as a "healthy, balanced caloric deficit"...this is complete bullshit and it doesn't exist. In fact, IMO, "balanced" and "deficit" are mutually exclusive terms.
To illustrate this, I'll go into the specifics of what a paper I quoted earlier found when comparing popular diet plans:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20537171

- Mediterranean diet was only 55.56% efficient and only provided 100% RDI for 15/27 micronutrients.
- Low fat diet was only 51.85% efficient and only provided 100% RDI for 14/27 micronutrients.
- Low carb diet was only 44.44% efficient and only provided 100% RDI for 12/27 micronutrients.
- "South Beach" diet (low carb, minimal sat fat) was only 22.22% sufficient and only provided 100% RDI for 6/27 micronutrients.
- 6 micronutrients were consistently low on all diet plans and these were vit B7, vit D (good luck getting enough of this through food alone), vit E, chromium, iodine and molybdenum.
- RDI is actually too low when it comes to some micronutrients (Vit D for example) and this exacerbates the results.

This goes to show that no matter how healthy you are, or how healthy you may eat, no matter how much you adjust your macros, the fact that your in a caloric deficit puts you at risk of developing micronutrient deficiencies.
A multivit is a cheap way of safeguarding against this temporary problem.

New Threads