Oxadative Stress - Tumueric

Reaction score
Interested in info on Tumueric, as peer reviewed info on pubmed.gov is promising as it relates to reduction of Oxidative Stress - especially in athletes. Anyone?

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Is their a specific reason why your interested in reducing oxidative stress?

Reaction score
Yes. interested in further reducing Free radical damage. FRD directly associated with inflammation, disease, slower recovery, etc. Already take Protandim, but looking to supplement

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding that overdoing it on anti oxidants actually hinders muscle growth. Am I wrong?

Reaction score
No. But forcing the body to create it's own is extremely effective with none of the sides. NRF2 transcription is the key. Telling your cells to create antioxidants instead of ingesting them.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
It's my understanding that overdoing it on anti oxidants actually hinders muscle growth. Am I wrong?

That's exactly why I asked why he was interested in this :)

Interfering in the natural muscle growth process, whether that's reducing inflammation or oxidative stress or soreness or whatever, also interferes with training adaptation.
Interfering with training adaptation delays progress, muscle growth, strength and pretty much everything else we set out to achieve when training.

Unless you have a specific need for antioxidant supplementation, and make sure to space it FAR away from your training session, I don't recommend them at all. Especially for athletes.

Reaction score
That's interesting. Is there anywhere you can point me to read about this? I haven't run across anything on this in research literature. Would like to look it over. Thanks for the reply, zilla :)

Reaction score
Yup, overdoing anti-oxidants can cause negative effects. I use turmeric w/backpepper, it's the only one I use..it has a lot of human studies on it's benefits. You can find a bunch on NCBI but here's a good source I like to use..(scroll down to human effect matrix to see human studies on inflammation/antioxidant etc.)

http://examine.com/supplements/Curcumin/#howtotake

Here's a great podcast on Joe Rogan Experience with Dr. Rhonda Patrick PHd in biomedical sciences and expert on nutrition...she talks about Turmeric at 1 hour 12 minutes in..I recommend everyone watch these if you have the time..

Here's another good one on vitD3 & krill oil.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yup got a ton of inject anti's.... Goin for a deficiency test first before i embark on a bunch of them tho

New Threads