Time on and time off

Reaction score
In terms of results, what's more effective - blasting and cruising or the traditional cycling and coming off? It is my understanding that as the blast/cycle goes on, the catabolic hormones increase because the body is trying to get back into homeostasis, and that's why the gains slow down. It is then beneficial to either cruise or come off altogether in order to let those balance out so that you can get better gains in the upcoming cycles/blasts. The most common number I see thrown around is time on = time off. But why are the pros then constantly on year-round? What is the most optimal way to alternate between time on and time off in terms of long-term results?

mickems

Elite
Reaction score
I would add to what Tool said, you need to do whatever helps YOU reach YOUR goals and do it safely. You're not a pro yet, don't worry about what the "pros" do.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
For best results blast and cruise year around.

For logically thinking and trying to make a full recovery do cycles.

Someday all this muscle magic may not be so important to you.

Weighing out educated pros and cons is a good idea.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
For results, you never come off

I came off for like half a year after being on forever, due to circumstance

Didn't feel that great

Depends on your values. Goals or health..if you can have a guarantee of sources, that helps

Just really think hard about it.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Blast/blast for the best numbers/size and an early death.(flame away) Blast/cruise for some respectable numbers/size and take you're chances. Time on/time off and you'll end up in the long run maybe 10% over what you would have done naturally, with little to no long term effects. Go natural and still be respectable but it will take much longer yet you'll never worry about your health because of AAS use.

All the above depends on compounds used, stacking, length of cycle time and dosing.

Reaction score
What snake said^. If you're really trying to commit and do this sport/hobbie and be a freak or look anywhere near like the pros or guys u see in magazines etc. depending on your genetics & lifestyle I'd say cruising and blasting is the most effective vs. cycling on and off, fluctuating your hormones, pct, losing gains, etc...honestly from a bodybuilding perspective, if you don't truly love it and you're not going to commit to it and do what needs to be done (diet wise, consistently, longterm, training, less partying) then there's no reason to get into AAS and take the unnecessary risks.

But it's up to you, do what u want..there's probably a lot of guys who look sick that cycling on and off or are even all natty.

Reaction score
Thanks for the insightful replies. So it's more of a health concern instead of results oriented reasoning. I'm not new to AAS and this was more of a theoretical question as some people advise you get less gains if you don't come off every once in a while.

Reaction score
I'm gonna bump this up because I'm still convinced it would be beneficial for growth to come off every now and then. Rich Piana says so too. When you're on eventually your body will get used to the hormones and the gains will be less... so wouldn't it only make sense to come off/cruise with the goal of maintaining your muscle mass, so that the levels of your catabolic hormones have a chance to fall back down again, and your body will recuperate to full health. Then you will get better gains when you get back on again.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna bump this up because I'm still convinced it would be beneficial for growth to come off every now and then. Rich Piana says so too. When you're on eventually your body will get used to the hormones and the gains will be less... so wouldn't it only make sense to come off/cruise with the goal of maintaining your muscle mass, so that the levels of your catabolic hormones have a chance to fall back down again, and your body will recuperate to full health. Then you will get better gains when you get back on again.

The whole thing about getting used to the hormones or receptor whatever is broscience. Your body doesn't get used to the gear and it becomes less effective. What's more likely is either calories or training stimulus need to be dialed up in some way.

I like what Zeigler said. Someday the muscles may not be as important to you.