What's the transition from female powerlifter to a strongwoman?

{'Calcul08'}

Lady Member
Reaction score
Been curious about what separates female powerlifters from strongwomen?

Anything <200kg is powerlifting and beyond 200kg> is strongwoman worthy?

For example, I've stumbled upon a youtube video of a fit couple and the guy mentioned his wife being classified as strongwoman lifting 135kg (deadlift), but that seems a bit light strongweight, no? I get there's differences between the two categories, just wish to know where the line is drawn.

#BecauseConfused.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
Powerlifter: Focus on brutal strength for bench/squat/deadlift

Strongperson: Focus on strength and endurance in a variety of lifts including but not limited to;
Truck pulls, atlas stones, africa stones, fingals fingers, tire flips, farmers walks, log presses, car deadlifts, keg tosses, one arm presses etc etc. Events like this are timed, even if both competitors complete the task, whoever did it first wins.

Awesome events to watch.

Last edited:

{'Calcul08'}

Lady Member
Reaction score
Powerlifting and Strongman are completely different strength sports. That's what separates them.

Is crossing over possible or would it be too long of a process?

Strong woman does all kinds of different challenges just like strong man. Where PL competition is the big 3 lifts .

here's an article I found

http://www.illpumpyouup.com/articles/common-strong-man-events.htm

That's a great article.. Kind of puts everything into perspective..

Powerlifter: Focus on bench/squat/deadlift

Strongperson: Focus on strength and endurance in a variety of lifts including but not limited to;
Truck pulls, atlas stones, africa stones, fingals fingers, tire flips, farmers walks, log presses, car deadlifts, keg tosses, etc etc.

Awesome events to watch.

Oddly this makes powerlifting seem boring.. I've youtubed Hafthór Björnsson and a few others, but am having a hard time finding women who'd have similar stats..

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes I know quite a few people who have done both powerlifting and strongman comps

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm getting confused. Are you looking to compete?

I don't do strongman so I have no words of wisdom there.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey lady, if you join our sister sight The Iron Den, you will see in the forum "Member Online Journals" a log by Rottenrogue and she competes Strongwoman :)

Beedeezy

Elite
Reaction score

Not from personal experience, but many power lifters have taken up Strongman. Besides learning the technique involved in strongman evolutions, I can't imagine the fact that you already have a starting strength and understanding of Squat/DL/Bench technique could possibly hurt you.
Clint Darden only does strongman now if I remember correctly, but still squats ect.
I think no matter what sport someone does, having a powerlifting background can only help.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score

You can cross over into whatever you want.

Start going to local strongman/scottish games and see if it's something you'd like to be a part of.

{'Calcul08'}

Lady Member
Reaction score
I'm getting confused. Are you looking to compete?

I don't do strongman so I have no words of wisdom there.

Honestly, no - don't see myself ever becoming a pro competitor, more along the lines of perhaps refocusing my routines closer to those of strong(wo)men, but am nowhere near to deadlifting a vehicle.

Hey lady, if you join our sister sight The Iron Den, you will see in the forum "Member Online Journals" a log by Rottenrogue and she competes Strongwoman :)

Tyvm, that's amazing! I'll definitely check it out. :)

Not from personal experience, but many power lifters have taken up Strongman. Besides learning the technique involved in strongman evolutions, I can't imagine the fact that you already have a starting strength and understanding of Squat/DL/Bench technique could possibly hurt you.
Clint Darden only does strongman now if I remember correctly, but still squats ect.
I think no matter what sport someone does, having a powerlifting background can only help.

Powerlifting is a solid base, but strongman seems like a mount Everest task to take on. And the more I can challenge myself, the more I can learn - even if it pans out I'm not cut out for it.

You can cross over into whatever you want.

Start going to local strongman/scottish games and see if it's something you'd like to be a part of.

:)

Sadly, where I live, there's no strongman competitions (we barely had a first powerlifting competition for guys in bench and deadlifts last year), which is why I'll need to get my behind to Germany when they have these types of events to see how things work. And to possibly annoy people who compete with noob questions.

Usually a ballsack.

Guess I'll be balls deep then. :D

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If there is not a strongman gym near you, you will have better luck doing a basic PL program in a regular gym then trying to do strongman on your own.

{'Calcul08'}

Lady Member
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQN4ZFugLk0

Some inspiration for you.
Do what you are driven towards and good luck!

<3 <3 <3

If there is not a strongman gym near you, you will have better luck doing a basic PL program in a regular gym then trying to do strongman on your own.

True.. For now I'm doing my normal pl routine with adding on a few sm exercises, hopefully I'll stumble upon at least one person over here that's in that discipline..

New Threads