HIIT Cardio - Best Way to Burn Fat

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
What are your guys thoughts on HIIT early morning, fasted?

I do early morning fasted cardio now. In the past (8 years) when I was training to fight I did hit later towards the end of the night, not fasted. Do you thing the caloric needs for HIIT are too high to do them fasted?

The only way I get cardio in every day or alteast the days I want to are to get them done in the AM before work and family can interject. So The only question is if I switch over to HIIT, which i really want to do, Should I eat something and do it an hour later or do it fasted.

right now Im 210lb, 5'11, roughly 18%BF as I know that matters (Basicly im not lean...)

Don't do it fasted. You won't be able to have the intensity you need in most cases.

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
HIIT aside I like to pull a weighted sled. Gets you stronger and provides cardio at the same time. Good recovery work. Thanks coach!

I recently purchased a push sled from rogue fitness. It works like a charm so far. Looking to get either a harness setup or a rope and chain to pull it. Any suggestions DTown?

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a push sled from rogue fitness. It works like a charm so far. Looking to get either a harness setup or a rope and chain to pull it. Any suggestions DTown?

AWESOME! Coach Joli has me pulling mine. I if you PM him I am sure he can give you come options and tips.

I pull mine from my belt, not over my shoulders. Builds hip and lower body power. Cleats on grass was the recommendation from coach. Maybe start with like a 150 lbs for 150 yards broken up into three trips. You'll know when it's enough lol. Keep building up each couple of weeks.

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
AWESOME! Coach Joli has me pulling mine. I if you PM him I am sure he can give you come options and tips.

I pull mine from my belt, not over my shoulders. Builds hip and lower body power. Cleats on grass was the recommendation from coach. Maybe start with like a 150 lbs for 150 yards broken up into three trips. You'll know when it's enough lol. Keep building up each couple of weeks.

Funny you mention Coach Jol, he was one of the first ppl I told I was getting one lol. It was highly recommended by him no doubt.

What I've been doing is sprinting about 50-60yds with the vertical poles one way and immediately go back with the lower/horizontal handle bars which really targets the posterior chain and hips. I didn't even think to use the belt, awesome idea!

I should ask Jol this but I'd like your input as well:

Which days do you use it? I've experimented with both off days and right after lifting. On off days I feel like it eats into my recovery for lifting the following day but I don't always have he time or energy to do it after the gym.

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
My impulse but lol

image.jpg

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My impulse but lol

image.jpg

OH MAN that is sweet! Great buy.

I will do it after my workout or maybe later in the day. Say if I train at 2pm I still may go pull the sled later that night. I also will do it on off days sometimes, just depends on how I feel. I usually won't do it after a workout AND on off days though. One or the other.

Experiment with it on your off days as well, start slow. I think what you posted looks good. It should actually aid in your recovery. I have noticed if I used some light active recovery between days it really helps my supercompensation abilities to go up. Helps keep me limber and helps blood/nutrient flow to the muscles. You will just have to find where to fit it in your programming. Maybe it works better after a certain days or on certain days than others. Play around with it. It shouldn't set you back.

Let me know how it goes. If I find something that works extra well I will send it along.

Reaction score
What about doing the HIIT on an empty stomach?
Wouldn't it be better to change HIIT over with LSD training?

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
What about doing the HIIT on an empty stomach?
Wouldn't it be better to change HIIT over with LSD training?

You more than likely won't be able to do HIIT with the requisite intensity if you do it fasted.

Reaction score
Running on a treadmill is much to do fasted than non-fasted. I used to run a HIIT in up to 45 minutes on a treadmill after black coffee and ning-hong tea every 2-3 day. I consider to add LSD between. I found such a combination quite prommisive before.
Is it necessary to do the weight-lifting workout during the fat-burning periods?

curtisvill

Elite
Reaction score
I hate running, actually it is my knees that hate running. HITT on a rower kicks my ass.

Reaction score
HIIT is fantastic for anyone wanting to lose weight, including those who have been working out and have seen little/ no results or those pressed for time and want to achieve a lot in a short space of time. If you’re looking for ripped abs and toned arms, interval training can help get you there – especially if you throw in some weight training sessions. If there is such a thing as a magic bullet for weight loss, then HIIT probably comes closest to it!

Beefcake

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back to life. I am trying to drop 10lbs+. I saw that HIIT is not recommended on an empty stomach but I work out from 6-7am before work every week day and then eat breakfast at work. I chug lots and lots of water during my morning workouts and take creatine pills-3 a day. I have good intensity and focus and usually my dinners are at 7-8pm and contain chicken/beef/tuna and some kind of carbs like pasta, potato's or bread. So what's everyone's thoughts on this?

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
Bringing this thread back to life. I am trying to drop 10lbs+. I saw that HIIT is not recommended on an empty stomach but I work out from 6-7am before work every week day and then eat breakfast at work. I chug lots and lots of water during my morning workouts and take creatine pills-3 a day. I have good intensity and focus and usually my dinners are at 7-8pm and contain chicken/beef/tuna and some kind of carbs like pasta, potato's or bread. So what's everyone's thoughts on this?

You more than likely won't be able to do HIIT with the right intensity if you're fasted. You also don't need HIIT. You can do other types of cardio. My favorite type is doggy style :)

Beefcake

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've been doing hiit with good intensity for 20 minutes-1 minute walk the 1 min jogging then 1 min sprint, then lifting. Intensity goes down towards the end of my lifting as I am starving for breakfast

StoliFTW

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
No matter what type of cardio you are doing. I see/feel more fit with 35min twice a week doing interval type cardio. Coupled with a solid lifting program and diet to meet your goals the fat should drop.

Truth is I just like showing off and looking at the hot girls doing cardio.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I do HITT on the stepmill. Brutal, but effective. Also think it's helped tremendously to bring up my calves

jublhu4

Reaction score
Couple people have asked about hiit fasted and it's gotten shot down, but no one has suggested what to consume and when before training. So, what is the best options for calories before hiit? Food, shake, just coffee? How long before?

Sapper

Reaction score
I do 20 minutes of HIIT and 20 minutes of weights early in the morning for my routine. Working 10-14 hours a day, plus side jobs after. If i want family time I have to work out in the mornings. As soon as i wake up I go straight to the kitchen and down coffee, 1/2 cup oats with applesauce and protein bar. About 30 minutes later...50 minutes on Mondays-Thursdays :32 (1): I'm doing my cardio. I know its not the best way or ideal and I'm sure i could be farther ahead doing my workouts later in the evening when i know i won't go catabolic, but that being said I'm 33 and in the best shape of my life and keep making progress. The first few months were pretty amazing results, shocked the shit out of my body.

Reaction score
This is good stuff man. better results and lest time spent on cardio? perfect.

New Threads