HIIT Cardio - Best Way to Burn Fat

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
299629_10150765977805574_327738720573_20555009_5082617_n-1.jpg

Some of us unlucky meso/endomorph and endomorph body types have the unfortunate requisite for additional laboring to keep the fat off in our quest for greater muscle growth. I'm talking of course about the dreaded "cardio." Cardio, taken to mean simply cardiovascular exercise is intended in the case of a bodybuilder to be used as a fat burning tool. And its a great one, but its often boring. Worse still, the hours of cardio add up after time and all the pavement pounding take a tougher toll on your knees than the pounding that Stunna's as... - well nevermind... The knees take a beating we'll leave it at that!

But other than those long term side effects such as joint pain, there is another downside that is discussed with some frequency on the Boards MUSCLE CATABOLISM!!! There is no disputing the fact that running for periods of time necessary for significant fat burning effects such as for 40 minutes or more causes muscle wasting. But if you wanna look like a runner, then be my guest...

If not - then pull up your big girl panties and get ready to bust your ass and feel pain like you've not experienced before!

HIIT or High Intensity Interval Training​ has been recently popularized due to the resurgence in popularity of a slightly more muscular appearance. There have also been a great many studies and articles recently completed and published on the subject. This idea isn't that new though. The earliest references in the journals I can find go back to the early 90's. And I didn't look that hard. I am sure there are plenty earlier.

This cardio method involves short but extremely intense bursts conducted repeatedly in a short time frame. Twenty minutes is all it should take to get your cardio in. Sure beats an hour on the treadmill, staring at the same dot on the wall while listening to Iron Maiden while screaming in your head GET ME THE HELL OUTTA HEEEEERE!!!!

Let me quickly list some pro's and con's of HIIT before I get into designing a program:

Pros
  • Tons of science behind it
  • PoB recommends it
  • Burns fat greater than long, boring as aerobic activity
  • Increase in Resting Metabolic Rate
  • Increase in the rate of efficiency of oxygen use by the body (VO2 Max). This has carry over effects to anaerobic training as oxygen depletion is a culprit in muscle failure during a set. MORE REPS!!!
  • Reduced muscle catabolism
  • 20 minutes of cardio vs 30 to 60 minutes
  • Not a daily activity. In fact its not recommended to perform HIIT more than three times per week.

Cons
  • Acute injury potential such as torn muscles and ligaments, cramps and tripping and looking like a jackass. Warm ups are tremendously important.
  • May contribute to over training if diet, supplementation and rest do not compensate for this new intensity
  • Nausea and vomiting if done properly
  • Doesn't work well on that treadmill in your basement

Each session includes a warm up and 6-12 bursts with moderate jogging between each burst. The number of bursts depends on your level of conditioning, your ability to withhold vomiting and if you are putting down for a specific method. Setting out on a new HIIT program is very simple. In fact here is a beginners program laid out for you that can be done in 22 minutes three times per week:
Light jog for 5 minutes to warm up (SUPER DE-DOOPER IMPORTANT!!!!)
Run all out for 1 minute/light jog for 1 minute
Repeat step two six times
Light jog for 5 minutes gradually decreasing speed ending in a walk.
A more advanced, conditioned athlete should simply increase the number of bursts according to ability. As this is not an endurance exercise, and we are not training to run the Boston Marathon, going beyond 12 bursts is simply not needed.

Some side notes that in my awesome opinion should be considered - Supplementation: Be sure to supplement potassium, taurine, glutamine and you should consider bumping your protein grams per day. 1 Scoop of whey (23-25 grams) post HIIT should do the trick. I also recommend taking a few extra minutes after each session of HIIT to stretch out the legs and/or foam roll to keep them limber and reduce soreness and cramping. Also, don't forget to increase your water consumption when you increase your workload or intensity level.

I'll put this out as a dare for the faithful treadmillers... Go to the park in your town, and try out HIIT three times per week. Do this three days a week, and for two months. If you're not LEAN by that time, then it isn't meant to be.

----PoB----

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
HIIT is a staple for me when cutting. HIIT has also been shown to increase natural release of human growth hormone, which as we know is a huge plus for fat loss.

Great post PoB!

Reaction score
see, i find for me personaly that some Low intensity cardio for about 20 minutes after I lift is great for cutting. HIIT works great if I have a lot to cut, but as I get leaner it almost gets to catabolic.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think that's pretty common. when you are lean HIIT becomes just as much about nutrition as lifting is.

see, i find for me personaly that some Low intensity cardio for about 20 minutes after I lift is great for cutting. HIIT works great if I have a lot to cut, but as I get leaner it almost gets to catabolic.

Lulu66

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Is the only type of cardioi do and works like a charm.

Reaction score
I`ve read recently about HIIT and really makes me think on give it try. Goal for me is to lean after PCT in reduce BF% before start my next cycle. Looks great and the most important Pros I see on this post is this:

•PoB recommends it

dsa8864667

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey pob, At what speed do you jog and then run at on the treadmill?

Reaction score
HIIT is the way to go
I always tell people this that if you do 20 minutes a day you'll shed weight -
On the treadmill I'll start at a walk then run hard for 1 minute, then walk til my heartbeat is around 125, then repeat until 20 minutes is up. It goes by fast and is much easier than jogging for 20 minutes.

Reaction score
Hey pob, At what speed do you jog and then run at on the treadmill?

for me I start walking at 2.3 - 2.5 (mph?) then my run is about a 7.5 and i try to add .1 on the next sprint so 7.6 then 7.7 then 7.8 and my in betweens are 2.3-2.5 always

theminister

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hiit cardio everyday except wednesday and sunday has dropped by bf significantly. I am so hot now I sizzle

Live2Train

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
HIIT is the way to go
On the treadmill I'll start at a walk then run hard for 1 minute, then walk til my heartbeat is around 125, then repeat until 20 minutes is up. It goes by fast and is much easier than jogging for 20 minutes.

I do the same thing bro. I put it on 3.4 to walk and then 11 for the run. I do 1 minute of each until I hit 2 1/2 miles. It usually takes about 20 minutes. I also do HIIT on a huge hill by the house. I like the treadmill better though since I can just do it in the basement. The hill is quite a bit harder though. I would never do LISS as it's boring as hell and catabolic if done in excess.

sfstud33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Im dragging this old thread up because of a recent program airing on PBS. Michael Moseley's "The Truth About Excercise". He visited several universities, got bloodwork done and followed several programs. The last one was the most interesting. 3 x 20 seconds a day of gangbusters HIIT on a bike, done 3 times a week. For a total of 12 minutes a month, the guy reduced triglycerides and increased his insulin sensitivity by 25%. The result was nothing short of astounding. If you can find the program on youtube i would recommend you watch it.

Also there is another program he did on the Trust About Fasting. This was just as interesting and they showed several different fasting programs and their impacts on blood levels.

Reaction score
What's everyone's take on HIIT with the rowing machine? Ive started this routine. Go hard as hell for a minute then slow roll for the next minute. Six rounds. Roll my fat ass off the machine and hope that I don't puke/pass out on the hot girls on the treadmill next to me.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's take on HIIT with the rowing machine? Ive started this routine. Go hard as hell for a minute then slow roll for the next minute. Six rounds. Roll my fat ass off the machine and hope that I don't puke/pass out on the hot girls on the treadmill next to me.

I always use the rowing machine for my high intensity cardio. This boy don't run.

cotton2012

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
HIIT is the way to go

some how this is sooo true.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i sprint for 45 seconds, walk for 90 seconds, repeat 10-20 times. and i mean sprint, the treadmill can barely take it. sounds like its going to fall apart.....literally.

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score
What are your guys thoughts on HIIT early morning, fasted?

I do early morning fasted cardio now. In the past (8 years) when I was training to fight I did hit later towards the end of the night, not fasted. Do you thing the caloric needs for HIIT are too high to do them fasted?

The only way I get cardio in every day or alteast the days I want to are to get them done in the AM before work and family can interject. So The only question is if I switch over to HIIT, which i really want to do, Should I eat something and do it an hour later or do it fasted.

right now Im 210lb, 5'11, roughly 18%BF as I know that matters (Basicly im not lean...)

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
HIIT aside I like to pull a weighted sled. Gets you stronger and provides cardio at the same time. Good recovery work. Thanks coach!