Intense pain when squatting wrapped

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah yeah they're supposed to hurt like hell and I have no problems with that. However this pain isn't normal. Even with a light wrap, the back of my knee/hamstring tendon area feels like someone is filleting the back of my leg with a red hot butcher knife.
Pretty sure I'm wrapping correctly. Starting one anchor wrap below the patella then working my way up a half a width at a time.
Even descending a quarter of the way is excruciating.
Anyone get pain like this?

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
Yeah yeah they're supposed to hurt like hell and I have no problems with that. However this pain isn't normal. Even with a light wrap, the back of my knee/hamstring tendon area feels like someone is filleting the back of my leg with a red hot butcher knife.
Pretty sure I'm wrapping correctly. Starting one anchor wrap below the patella then working my way up a half a width at a time.

I had a couple of the knee wraps made for weightlifting before and always felt like the were bunching up in the back where you are talking about.

Have you ever tried ace bandages ?

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score

See the first line of your sig ;)

When going for a pr or at a meet I chalk my legs before wrapping. There's blood stains on my wraps.

That said, I'm a stop and go squatter. My wraps are like tow straps. For a rebound squatter you'll generally want a more stretchy wrap which usually is a bit "softer" and not as tough on your skin.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Milo, you're no sissy so something's off. You could try wrapping from top to bottom? Also try using a cross-over method; coming over the patella. This will put less material in the back of the leg and cause less bunching. The cross-over is not as strong but it may help. Good luck.

Reaction score
And you might have something tore. Have you lifted without the wraps?

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I had a couple of the knee wraps made for weightlifting before and always felt like the were bunching up in the back where you are talking about.

Have you ever tried ace bandages ?

Never tried ace bandages. From all the articles I've read, the more material in the back the better. But I'm an amateur at best.

When going for a pr or at a meet I chalk my legs before wrapping. There's blood stains on my wraps.

That said, I'm a stop and go squatter. My wraps are like tow straps. For a rebound squatter you'll generally want a more stretchy wrap which usually is a bit "softer" and not as tough on your skin.
I'm all for some pain it builds character! But this just isn't normal. It's like the wrap isn't letting my hamstring move and it's pulling it apart or something. Even today if I step wrong it hurts like hell. I can't even squat my 1RM in sleeves with knee wraps. It's not like a rubbing or tightness kind of pain. It's like the back of my leg is being filleted.

Milo, you're no sissy so something's off. You could try wrapping from top to bottom? Also try using a cross-over method; coming over the patella. This will put less material in the back of the leg and cause less bunching. The cross-over is not as strong but it may help. Good luck.
Thanks Snake. I'll try that.

And you might have something tore. Have you lifted without the wraps?
Yes I worked up to a 1RM with sleeves then put on the wraps. Couldn't even do what I did with sleeves. Hopefully not an injury.

Put up a vid of you wrapping a knee.
Will put this up when I get home.

Go Away

Reaction score

What does chalk on the knees do for the wrap??

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
It makes it grip better all over IMO. Especially if you're a sweaty **** like me.

New Threads