Women and HRT Including TRT

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to start a thread on this for awhile. Thing is, I've been doing it a long time and have posted quite a few times my experiences and it doesn't seem to interest many but maybe it will interest older females scanning the boards or open minded male members that have middle aged wives that might be suffering from low testosterone/menopause. I am going to post articles I come across that I deem relevant to the subject. This first article was found after a conversation with my older sister who struggled hard through 5 years of menopause as we discussed my TRT and wondered if it might keep me from having menopausal symptoms. I could easily talk to my Dr. about all of this but would rather do my own research.

Keep in mind, I will be 49 this year and my sister started menopause at 45...of course realistically this means nothing of when I might start as we are all different and it just can't be pin-pointed. As of this moment I have no symptoms, I am on 25mg of test cyp a week. This dose gives me a great sense of well being, healthy libido, clear mind...great energy and I have no plans to stop. After reading this article, I am pretty sure...I will not suffer from any symptoms while on TRT..I will of course do more research but this was a great start.

Not for Men Only: An Unlikely Treatment for Menopause
As her body hurtled into menopause, C.M. Harris was desperate to feel like herself again—until she discovered a most unlikely cure.
By C.M. Harris

At dinner with my family one night, I found myself crying into my soup. What the—I never cry! Then the hot flash fired up. Aha. I had long cursed my periods, and now they were divorcing me. My five-year treatment for estrogen-receptor-positive breast cancer (the kind that afflicts about 70 percent of breast cancer patients) includes a monthly injection that whispers to my pituitary gland to shut down my ovaries. At 42, I was experiencing menopause a decade early and at warp speed.

The result? A greater likelihood that I'd survive. The side effects? Exhaustion. Excessive sleep. Aching bones. A 20-pound weight gain. Brain fog. Forgetting that sex can be fun.

At my three-month visit to the oncologist, these complaints produced pinched smiles and shrugs. I could hear the unspoken reproach: You're alive, be happy. But what was alive? A strong heartbeat and a few random firings from the wet, wadded-up towel passing for my brain? The doctor offered an anti depressant, which seemed like retreat. I went home and vowed to try positive thinking: At least you didn't need radiation. A least you didn't need chemo. At least you kept your hair. But none of that changed how I felt.

When I relayed my symptoms to my gynecologist, he told me that I likely didn't need an antidepressant. Ovaries also produce the "male" sex hormone, he explained, so when my estrogen dropped, so, too, went the hormone of desire—the desire to have sex, yes, but also to learn, to reach. Testosterone helps build strength in your bones and muscles, helps you think clearly. Without it, you're not fully there.

The oncologist seemed skeptical. She had never treated her patients with testosterone before. Her job was to keep people from dying. But she agreed to discuss replacement therapy with her peers. Three months later, at my next appointment, she apologized for not putting me on that path sooner.

According to the National Institutes of Health, total female testosterone levels should be anywhere between 30 to 95 nanograms per deciliter. A blood test determined that my level was only 21. I started off with a shot in my backside and a prescription for cream that I could massage into my thigh every day.

Over the next month, I waited for the magic to happen. Wild passion. Bulging muscles. The ability to leap tall buildings. All I got, though, was a metallic taste under my tongue. But while I was waiting, I stopped sleeping so much. I eased into work. I quit feeling sorry for myself and started volunteering for sex. Many improvements I didn't even register because they were merely facets of who I had been before.

Then came the breakthrough moment. I was riding my bike, absolutely sailing, when the tunnel I'd been living in suddenly dissolved. My scope expanded and everything came into focus: the cottonwood leaves flickering overhead, the Minneapolis skyline so sharp that windows glittered like molten gold. I smelled the fish in the lake, the pollen-drenched air. I had rejoined the pack. No superhero—just me.

But I wonder, now that I'm back to wondering again: If a "male" hormone can make a female feel like a woman, why are so few of us talking about it?

Symptoms in women may include depression, a severe lack of energy, diminished libido, an inability to focus, and decreased muscle mass—in other words, you just don't feel right. While there are many possible reasons for low testosterone, the most common are aging and menopause. In younger women, oral contraceptives may be the culprit because they suppress all sex hormones. If you are concerned about your testosterone levels, talk to your gynecologist. The FDA has not yet approved a specific product for women, and one of the most popular preparations for men, AndroGel, can cost hundreds per month out of pocket. However, your doctor may be able to prescribe a low-dose compound cream that fits your budget.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Symptoms of menopause or peri-menopause may not only be unpleasant, they may be quite disabling for some women. However, since publication of the Women’s Health Initiative (WHI) in 2002, there have been concerns raised regarding the safety of hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for women. Whilst many of the earlier fears regarding the risk of heart attack and stroke have been set aside, at least for short term use, there remain some safety issues relating to treatment with estrogen that result in the reluctance of many women to embrace HRT. There is good evidence now that the unpleasant and limiting symptoms of peri-menopause may be successfully eliminated by treatment with testosterone, either alone or in combination with Estrogen or an estrogen/progesterone combination.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That's a great article. More often when a woman hits meno pause the doc can't get estrogen scripts written quick enough. Which cause breast cancer.

I wonder if women would get hassled about it like men do?

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well what most don't know is when women hit menopause their test drop in the ovaries causing low test. Seems they need a proper Balance of estrogen and progesterone. I think when women take test and are unsupervised, can cause sides because they're unbalanced.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Good Job Jenner

Pay attention my brothers. If for no other reason, the wife may actually ask you for sex.

I just don't get it. The men were so behind the times for years on TRT. Woman were ahead when it came to estrogen replacement but still behind on testosterone replacement. I think what needs to change for woman is the idea of "Steroids". If a woman has diabetes, she has little problem with taking insulin but to take test testosterone, nope. You would be surprised how many woman don't know they have testosterone in their bodies.

FPCouth.gif

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That's a great article. More often when a woman hits meno pause the doc can't get estrogen scripts written quick enough. Which cause breast cancer.

I wonder if women would get hassled about it like men do?

What do you mean? Hassled for HRT (as in E & P replacement?)

Obviously most Dr.'s are still in the stoneage...they don't even want to give men TRT...

I put a lot of it on the women though, there is so much information out there now that there is no need to suffer. My dad's late wife refused to do HRT because ...well, one she was stubborn and IMO not all there and two, because her mother told her she would get fat if she did...menopause destroyed her AND my dad's quality of life for years...and then she got cancer and died...no way to live life...not gonna happen.

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Androgens slowly go down in their 20s just lIke men untill menopause when they produce slim to none.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Pay attention my brothers. If for no other reason, the wife may actually ask you for sex.

I just don't get it. The men were so behind the times for years on TRT. Woman were ahead when it came to estrogen replacement but still behind on testosterone replacement. I think what needs to change for woman is the idea of "Steroids". If a woman has diabetes, she has little problem with taking insulin but to take test testosterone, nope. You would be surprised how many woman don't know they have testosterone in their bodies.

FPCouth.gif

I know, it blows my mind that this just isn't accepted and dealt with...I also can't comprehended a woman wanting to live through hell for no reason.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well what most don't know is when women hit menopause their test drop in the ovaries causing low test. Seems they need a proper Balance of estrogen and progesterone. I think when women take test and are unsupervised, can cause sides because they're unbalanced.

lol, I did test unsupervised at first...just have to be smart about it...hell, even Jan Fonda did TRT from 70-73 and said it was awesome...:)

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What do you mean? Hassled for HRT (as in E & P replacement?)

Obviously most Dr.'s are still in the stoneage...they don't even want to give men TRT...

I put a lot of it on the women though, there is so much information out there now that there is no need to suffer. My dad's late wife refused to do HRT because ...well, one she was stubborn and IMO not all there and two, because her mother told her she would get fat if she did...menopause destroyed her AND my dad's quality of life for years...and then she got cancer and died...no way to live life...not gonna happen.

By hassled I mean their initial reaction to the discussion is just no. Rather than let's explore this. Many in the medical community look at testosterone like it's satans jizz or something.

Also many physicians don't treat things well that can't be clearly distinguished by bloodwork. For men you may have in range test, say 390. But that isn't enough sometimes to abate lethargy low libido no aggression ect. Would be the same for women.

I am curious to see what my wife would test at.

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
By hassled I mean their initial reaction to the discussion is just no. Rather than let's explore this. Many in the medical community look at testosterone like it's satans jizz or something.

Also many physicians don't treat things well that can't be clearly distinguished by bloodwork. For men you may have in range test, say 390. But that isn't enough sometimes to abate lethargy low libido no aggression ect. Would be the same for women.

The issue though is with test levels of 390, the chances of lethargy and low libido, etc beikg attributed to the test levels become very very low.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score

No argument there. I also wonder if like men, there's a ratio the female body likes between T & E. Just as men use testosterone and their estrogen goes up, could the use of anti-estrogen drugs actually decrease a female's total testosterone levels? Maybe I over Bro-scienced that but if this is the case, I see a downward spiral for woman.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Well imagine this...the lady in the articles levels were "21" and she felt all of that....mine was a "5"...and absolutely it would be the same for treating. My Dr. doesn't only go by #'s, he wants to know how you are feeling...that's how he judges to bump or not.

I'm sure some would just shut it down...that's when you have to Dr. hop lol....Thank God I found my Dr...but I was directed to him by a gym buddy ;)

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
hahahahaha...actually I like how she says "only" 21......yea, I was "only" 5

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Think only men need the hormone? Think again.

Testosterone is a hormonal chemical mainly associated with men. However, women produce testosterone as well. Testosterone is very good for the female body. Sure, women will need it if they are trying to tone their bodies. But, research has revealed much more about this so-called male hormone.

Testosterone production is substantially lower in women than it is in men. After puberty, a woman begins to produce an adult level of testosterone. The production is split between the ovaries and the adrenal glands. In men, the testes produce testosterone. Women produce just a fraction of the amount of testosterone each day that men do. Here are seven ways testosterone can impact the life of a woman:

1. Weight lifting increases levels of testosterone in women. This helps to build muscle mass without the fear of “bulking up.” Couples who workout together report having improved sex lives. Your repetition range for these exercises should be between 3-5. You would typically do 4-5 sets of each exercise. Rotate heavy lifting days with light lifting days. Do circuit weight training with the lighter weights, with little or no rest between sets.

Women burn more fat by increasing exercise-induced growth hormone. Growth hormone is also important for building muscle. Intense circuit weight training and interval cardio workouts will increase growth hormone levels in the body.

Paul Carpenter is a consultant in endocrinology and health informatics research in Rochester, Minnesota. He has practiced in endocrinology, with a special interest in hormone replacement, for 25 years. He has addressed many questions about the role of testosterone in women. The next five pointers are taken from Carpenter’s research.

2. Testosterone helps maintain muscle and bone mass, in women, and contributes to their sex drive. If you give testosterone replacement to testosterone deficient women, they often feel better, but are not specific as to how.

3. Which women should have their testosterone levels checked? After menopause, testosterone production drops significantly. But, not as sharply as estrogen levels. For women who have had their ovaries removed, testosterone production drops by roughly 50 percent, sometimes resulting in less than normal testosterone blood levels.

Generally, the women who have lower levels of testosterone are those who go to their doctor with concerns such as, “ever since I had my ovaries removed, I do not feel like the same person. I am not as strong, I do not have as much energy and I do not have the same sex drive.” Should we measure testosterone in all women who have had their ovaries removed? I do not know.

However, if a woman says her sex life has diminished since her hysterectomy, her doctor may check her testosterone level. If her levels are low, she can consider taking testosterone replacement. Why You’re Lacking Energy For Work & Play

Another group of women at risk of low testosterone are those who have lost pituitary gland function. The pituitary sends hormone messages to the adrenal glands and ovaries. Without the pituitary signal, hormones are not manufactured. These women require estrogen and cortisone replacement, and are also testosterone deficient.

4. How important is it for women with low testosterone levels to consider replacement therapy? Low testosterone levels is not an immediate health risk. Yet, think about an older woman with osteoporosis who has fallen and fractured her hip. If her testosterone is low, would replacement have prevented her hip fracture? It is possible. Testosterone has the potential to strengthen bones. Additionally, she might have been able to prevent the fall if her muscle mass had been better.

If a postmenopausal woman is on hormone replacement therapy, does that affect her need for testosterone? Yes. Estrogen therapy — with or without progesterone — can further suppress residual testosterone production by the ovaries. This is due to hormone signals from the pituitary gland, taking estrogen partially reduces the pituitary hormone signal to the ovaries and potentially reduces testosterone production. The pituitary senses there is enough estrogen, so it does not send the signal for more estrogen and testosterone.

5. What are the side effects of testosterone replacement? When given in appropriate doses, there are no negative side effects. Today we can measure blood levels, so it is easier to monitor the dosage. Excessive testosterone can cause acne, body hair growth and scalp hair loss in women. Excessive testosterone supplementation, such as with anabolic steroids used by athletes, also tends to drop high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels (HDL). That is the “good” cholesterol. Lower HDL levels increase the risk of heart disease.

6. What about other androgens, such as dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA)? DHEA is a weak male hormone. Although it is true that DHEA levels decline with age, very few research studies show benefit from replacement. Another New England Journal of Medicine study says DHEA treatment improves sexual function in women who have underactive adrenal glands.

In addition, many people are taking DHEA in very large quantities. Excessive amounts of synthetic androgens drive down HDL cholesterol levels, which is considered a cardiovascular risk. People who are ill often have low DHEA or testosterone levels. This appears to be a normal physiological response to illness and not the cause of the illness.

Barbara L. Minton is a school psychologist and a breast cancer survivor using “alternative” treatments. She has also studied the affects of testosterone on women. The last point is taken from her research.

7. Testosterone conveys powerful anti-aging effects. It turns fat into muscle, keeps skin supple, increases bone mineral density, puts women in a positive mood and boosts the ability to handle stress. Testosterone also supports cognitive functioning and keeps the liver and blood vessels clean.

Low testosterone levels have been associated with heart attack, Alzheimer’s disease, osteoporosis, and depression. If you are freezing cold all the time and your thyroid levels are adequate, you are probably low on testosterone. For women, a little bit of testosterone can go a long way in improving looks, figure, energy level, outlook on life, sex appeal and sexual fulfillment. Love Your Body: 35 Ways To Improve Your Health

Women produce increased amounts of testosterone during puberty. Levels of testosterone peak for women in their early 20’s. The decrease in sex drive, due to age, is often exacerbated by oral contraceptives which suppress all sex hormone production. By the time a woman has reached natural menopause, she may have only half of the level of testosterone she once had.

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The issue though is with test levels of 390, the chances of lethargy and low libido, etc beikg attributed to the test levels become very very low.

My test was at 390 and was still able to smack it everyday and still pull 500. I'm sure if it was 2000, it would be alot different.

New Threads