Deadlift issues

Itburnstopee

Elite
Reaction score
So according to a friend, my lumbars are "****ing massive as shit" compared to the rest of my back. I also have pain in between sets and after lifting. I believe they are just getting a super pump, so to speak (thanks to Ecks for mentioning this was a possibility!) and it's causing my back to be tightened. Today I pulled 315x5 for my sets and had to sit down while waiting for the next set while positioned a very precise way to allow my back to not hurt. I tried pulling sumo and even with good form I feel it in my back a little bit. How do I fix this? Do I just not deadlift (**** that!) and let my lumbars atrophy a bit???

Also, will pulling with opposing grip actually cause disproportions?

Last edited:

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Back pumps man. They suck. I've been dealing with them since I was 15 years old. It's from your hips and hamstrings being tight. U gotta stretch and keep them loose. Look up the couch stretch and other hip stretches on Kelly starretts youtube channel. Get a lacrosse ball deep into your glutes and hips as well. All of this has helped me tremendously.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Roll out your quads too. If they're tight they cause pelvic tilt which triggers the pumps also.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
So according to a friend, my lumbars are "****ing massive as shit" compared to the rest of my back. I also have pain in between sets and after lifting. I believe they are just getting a super pump, so to speak (thanks to Ecks for mentioning this was a possibility!) and it's causing my back to be tightened. Today I pulled 315x5 for my sets and had to sit down while waiting for the next set while positioned a very precise way to allow my back to not hurt. I tried pulling sumo and even with good form I feel it in my back a little bit. How do I fix this? Do I just not deadlift (**** that!) and let my lumbars atrophy a bit???

Could be a mobility issue like Ecks said, could be a low back endurance issue, could be a form issue as well as a bunch of other potential causes - difficult to really advise you on this without a video.

Also, will pulling with opposing grip actually cause disproportions?

Yes.
It causes different levels of muscular recruitment and asymmetry across the spine/shoulders over time (not good). Stick with a basic double overhand/hook grip and, when needed, straps.
Honestly, unless someone plans on competing I don't see any reason whatsoever to use a mixed grip under any circumstances - play it safe.

Last edited:

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Ripped makes a good point.

Do u get that feeling on any other lifts? Or at hone just doing anything that puts stress on your lower back? I get back pumps from anything and everything that puts my lower back at an angle. Washing dishes, brushing my teeth, giving the kids a bath and so on. They ****ing suck. But like ripped said it could be something else.

Edit to add I also agree about what ripped said about the straps. Unless u plan on doing a meet then might as well strap it up. Much lower risk of ripping a bicep also.

Last edited:

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Burn post a pic. Shirtless. Front side and back. So 3 actually. I don't think this is what you think it is

Itburnstopee

Elite
Reaction score
Ripped makes a good point.

Do u get that feeling on any other lifts? Or at hone just doing anything that puts stress on your lower back? I get back pumps from anything and everything that puts my lower back at an angle. Washing dishes, brushing my teeth, giving the kids a bath and so on. They ****ing suck. But like ripped said it could be something else.

Edit to add I also agree about what ripped said about the straps. Unless u plan on doing a meet then might as well strap it up. Much lower risk of ripping a bicep also.

I feel it a little on squats but not too bad and I feel it a lot on rows

Reaction score
Some great advice here guys!!!! this is going to help me out i'm a little tight

New Threads