Info for wife, Possible hormone issues? Birth control?

SoCalMk6GTI

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to start or where to post this but hopefully someone can chime in.

My wife is a personal trainer, uses a very reputable coach and her diet is anywhere from 90-100% clean and to the letter every single day. We both weigh out every meal, with the occasional date night cheat meal. We don't compete so we allow for those meals, and try our best to calculate them into our macros.

In October/November 2014 my wife's primary told her that her birth control was being discontinued and offered up the Depo Provera shot as an alternative, without properly educating her on the potential side effects. Her weight at that time wasn't bad at all, she's much leaner now with more lean mass. However within a month to 2 months on the shot her weight increased, while her diet remained consistent. We were moving across the country at the time so when we got resettled in our current location we got in with a new doctor here. He was very thorough and discussed the negative effects the shot could have had on her, which explained the water retention and the weight gain. She is now on Minastrin 24 FE since March/April 2015, the first month of transition was horrible and she experienced bleeding almost every single day for a month. She eventually became regular but now her weight is stagnant. She's not overweight by any means, in my eyes she's perfect, however her bodily goals are different and she wants to eliminate some more body fat and can't seem to break through this. She's 34 5'5" and 147lbs sitting at 19-20% BF. She keeps staying closer to the 20% mark and cannot seem to lose fat. Her coach is being very supportive and understanding but I wanted to see what other things it could be.

Could it still be the Depo Provera effecting her? I've read where it can take up to 18 months after stopping before a woman's hormones go back to normal. Could her current BC be effecting that as well? We unfortunately do not currently have medical so I thought about just getting blood work done through PrivateLabs and posting it on here, but wanted a recommendation on who to talk to on here with knowledge in this area. As far as physical health she seems perfectly fine but emotionally it's really taking a toll on her and most days it's fine, but some days you can see it really effecting her self esteem when she is seriously busting her ass to try and make changes.

She recently tried a cycle of Clen for 2 weeks on; she started at 20 then each day increased until she noticed sides. I had to stop her at 100mcg because she never felt any real effects from it. She got slight shakes at 80mcg but only for 30-45 minutes after ingestion, and was perfectly fine the rest of the day. She discontinued after 2 weeks and a taper off, but not a single change in scale weight, while her diet was perfect.

If anyone has any insight they want to share I'm all ears, thank you in advance!

Reaction score
My wife has been on a mess of different bc's I am 36 and she is 34 with similar issues. she was having terrible headaches from the nuva ring and depo. she also had weight gain but she eats bad. way too much carbs and free sugars. I was pretty over weight and started monitoring my sugar to try and lower weight. it worked great. does she engage in daily cardio? my wife imo eats too much carbs ie granola, rice cakes, potato chips etc. yogurt and other easy meals tend to have a bunch of sugar. I would start with the eating clean, what are typical meals? do you keep food in the house she snacks on? what is a typical morning like? what does she eat in the evening and at what time?
btw we have stopped all hormone therapy and just use conventional contraception now.

SoCalMk6GTI

Reaction score
She is on a meal plan from her coach, very dialed in. Dude knows his stuff, wish I could put his name on here but he holds a few world titles and I can't release that info. On his end everything seems perfect. That's why we are looking into potential hormone or birth control issues.

I'm sorry about your wife, has her eating improved? Has she noticed any positive effects from stopping birth control?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You may want to consider having her thyroid checked. Losing weight with a hypo active thyroid is a bitch.

SoCalMk6GTI

Reaction score
You may want to consider having her thyroid checked. Losing weight with a hypo active thyroid is a bitch.

If we use a private lab is that something that can be checked by blood work alone? No medical insurance for another 60 days unfortunately.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I wish I had something to add but honestly us females and our hormones are a bitch....I personally have never had these issues but can totally understand how frustrating it can be and of course mess with her mentally. Once insurance kicks in, get her a hormone panel done and sit down with an actual Dr. to discuss anything that might be out of whack.....just my .02 as guesstimating will not fix the problem and you don't want her to start trying all these different supps/compounds "hoping" one works, definitely not the correct way to go about it.

SoCalMk6GTI

Reaction score
I wish I had something to add but honestly us females and our hormones are a bitch....I personally have never had these issues but can totally understand how frustrating it can be and of course mess with her mentally. Once insurance kicks in, get her a hormone panel done and sit down with an actual Dr. to discuss anything that might be out of whack.....just my .02 as guesstimating will not fix the problem and you don't want her to start trying all these different supps/compounds "hoping" one works, definitely not the correct way to go about it.

We will be getting a hormone panel done on our own and talking to a few docs on here and a couple other forums. We are not "guesstimating" anything. There will be hormone panels done and follow ups to follow. We are not throwing supps or compounds into the mix to see what works; not sure where you got that...? No disrespect intended by my post. We're smart people, not 18 year olds looking to jump on gear and eat shitty foods to get swole while jeopardizing our hpta.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lol, sorry you took my post wrong but you're going to talk to Dr.'s on these forums? ??

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
And please don't try and jump when you aren't sure what someone's tone is..not very respectful. I've been on this board since it started and there are a multitude of folks that will tell you I wasn't being an ass...

SoCalMk6GTI

Reaction score
And please don't try and jump when you aren't sure what someone's tone is..not very respectful. I've been on this board since it started and there are a multitude of folks that will tell you I wasn't being an ass...

That's why I prefaced with "no disrespect" I've read many of your posts, I know you're a valuable asset to the forum.

And yes, I know of a few people on this forum and a few other forums that are either doctors or more knowledgable than doctors in this area.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That's why I prefaced with "no disrespect" I've read many of your posts, I know you're a valuable asset to the forum.

And yes, I know of a few people on this forum and a few other forums that are either doctors or more knowledgable than doctors in this area.

It's all good, I realize its not easy to know how to read what people mean but my post was only to be helpful. I personally would not trust my health to someone on a forum but that's just me. Good luck :)

Last edited:

New Threads