Reps or singles?

grizzldsealpoacher

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
A question I have been wondering, I reset completely after ever pull when doing dead lifts . Meaning if I was doing a 5x5 scheme that day I would take my breath at the top then get into position pull release and come back up to take my breath before the next rep.

Is this a proper method of doing reps or am I just doing 25 singles essentially with a big break every 5 reps ? I ask b/c I see a lot of guys reset at the bottom without dis engaging the bar completely like I do and I do not see anyone pulling the way I do

are both acceptable forms of training or should I try and work towards resetting without disengaging the bar

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That's how I do it most of the time with heavy sets. Either way is fine.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
I have to take at least a couple seconds between reps. Hook hurts the worst when you slam the bar down.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Wasn't this something we had you start like a year or two ago? If you have gotten more disciplined and consistent on rep one then maintain tightness and go. If not keep doing singles as you called it.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Personally I lower it enough to where it almost touches the ground then I bring it back up. That's for reps though. Seems to help as my pull has gone up a lot since I started that. Kinda like keeping tension at all times.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Personally I lower it enough to where it almost touches the ground then I bring it back up. That's for reps though. Seems to help as my pull has gone up a lot since I started that. Kinda like keeping tension at all times.

So you're basically doing Romanian Deadlifts?

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I view low rep DL like singles in my head; it seems like it helps me hold my form. As for re grasping, nope. I like staying tight throughout the movement.

grizzldsealpoacher

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Wasn't this something we had you start like a year or two ago? If you have gotten more disciplined and consistent on rep one then maintain tightness and go. If not keep doing singles as you called it.

yep your the one who had me reset at the top. I noticed a lot of guys resetting at the bottom it got me questioning my form . It got me thinking that maybe I needed to not completely disengage but if there is no added benefit then I will stick to what I have been doing I think it's a whole lot safer and gives me time to think myself through the lift before I pull

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
yep your the one who had me reset at the top. I noticed a lot of guys resetting at the bottom it got me questioning my form . It got me thinking that maybe I needed to not completely disengage but if there is no added benefit then I will stick to what I have been doing I think it's a whole lot safer and gives me time to think myself through the lift before I pull

He had me do the same thing. Only I had to take a step back then step up under the bar again. It really helped me get my set up right for a meet.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

One way keeping engaged at the bottom can help is of you are trying to find your leverage point. A slow negative on dl will put you into the perfect mechanical position to pull. If you can mimick that on rep 1 that would be great.

Resetting yourself isn't hurting unless your initial set up for each rep is dog shit.

saltylifter

Elite
Reaction score
I mostly do touch and go.
Need to reset I guess and try that out between reps.
I like slamming the weights down and use the bounce back to help me get it back up. ;)
Bodybuilder for life sucker
Jk powerlifter is in my blood also

New Threads