Squat fix: Bar travel

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This training cycle has given me big jumps in bench and deadlift but my squat ain't going anywhere. Did a quick form check on myself with about 80% 1RM and noticed the bar is waaay forward of the centerline of my foot although it doesn't feel that bad when I do it. Question is how important is the bar position in relation to the foot in the hole of the squat?

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Well it can't be more than a couple inches off or you'd fall forward lol. You don't feel like you're on your toes?

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not really. But I did notice that I almost Good Morning the weight down.
Have a look.

kf1XDhu.jpg

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Hard to see in that pic but are you high bar? I lean over more then most but the bar stays low. The lower on your back, the closer you will be to your center of gravity. For my style, it doesn't look all that bad to me but most guys will tell you to stay more upright. Oh, and you'll hear the term box squats a lot. ;)

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's low bar, just hard to tell because of my hood. I prefer to use my back during the squat too but wasn't sure if it's excessive.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Folding over isn't bad. That's just how u squat. A lot of guys do it like that. If youre not falling forward or coming on your toes then I wouldn't worry about it. I wish I could squat like that. My lower back is pretty strong. Just remember to fire your hips thru and chest up and u should be good man.

Last edited:

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks bros.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
I got about 1 minute in and couldn't take any more. Bouncing off the bottom (without wraps), snapping the top and using a bar that has no nurls on it was too much for me.

I fond a lot of his videos entertaining but he does have some crazy butt wink.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well it can't be more than a couple inches off or you'd fall forward lol. You don't feel like you're on your toes?

Folding over isn't bad. That's just how u squat. A lot of guys do it like that. If youre not falling forward or coming on your toes then I wouldn't worry about it. I wish I could squat like that. My lower back is pretty strong. Just remember to fire your hips thru and chest up and u should be good man.

These 2 guys can both squat more than me so i got nothing. But I'd like to see a vid of your squat maybe I can help with your approach to the bar or your initial set up.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks man I'll get a video up on next squat session.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I should do this more often.

saltylifter

Elite
Reaction score
Hahahahahaha. Keep tryin man it just takes a minute to load.

I hit the fing button like ten times wtf.
I dont get the video conan sent you snd how far back his elbows are. I've never seen someone squat like that and it looked like it was a twearking video with how he bounced his ass

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I hit the fing button like ten times wtf.
I dont get the video conan sent you snd how far back his elbows are. I've never seen someone squat like that and it looked like it was a twearking video with how he bounced his ass

That dude is a very powerful guy and knows his shit. He has to work with his leverages. He can get his upper back tighter like that versus holding out wider. He makes up the difference with a powerful trunk.

saltylifter

Elite
Reaction score
That dude is a very powerful guy and knows his shit. He has to work with his leverages. He can get his upper back tighter like that versus holding out wider. He makes up the difference with a powerful trunk.

Ya I can see he is a powerful guy but explain why his elbows are in the position they are with them bwing so far back like that.. please .??
Does it help with his lifting form?
I just never seen them like that but I'm also not around a huge amount of powerlifters.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It helps take pressure off of the wrists for some. Just a preference.

New Threads