Strict form, yes or no?

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The fact that there needs to be a scientific study on everything just pisses me off.

Look at how the people who are bigger and stronger then you lift. The ones in your gym you see everyday. Not some YouTube vid on your favorite BBer who is probably lying about his training anyways. Watch the difference in how underwear model looking physique guys train and how guys who are built like brick shithouses train.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lol, that's why these threads are pointless and stupid as fuuuk to argue about. ..simple solution "you do you, I'll do me"

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lol, that's why these threads are pointless and stupid as fuuuk to argue about. ..simple solution "you do you, I'll do me"
Oh come now, Jen. Be nice to my thread. It has a valid learning point to it.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't actually. And I'm not going to look for one either because whether you agree with my statement or not affects me in exactly no way whatsoever. If you think my statement that muscular stimulation results in muscular growth is an assumption then I'm not even going to waste my time spelling out PE 101 to you. I have never met a dude with a huge back that treated the weights like a pussy. It's everyone's right to train how they like. But saying that forcing reps is not beneficial is plain stupid.

Take a joke

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lol, discussion is great....stressing and arguing is unnecessary. ..that's all I'm saying. I appreciate the thread because it's nice to see what others do for sure.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
...and that is why I mentioned from the beginning that it depends on the individual, the training, the situation, the level of training, and the eventual goal. Jen I think where you are at and your goals what you're doing is the correct method. You have no need to sway or change. Some of the arguments in this thread are valid and some are not.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Please explain. Never heard of it.
However this is one aspect where it IS personal preference. We're now talking about individually unique leverages.

How about a vid.

Last edited:

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Exact same thing my guys had me start doing a few weeks ago and suddenly the bar started to fly again. Where the **** were you with this shit a couple months ago? I thought we were boys and looked out ya know? Haha good post

I can't give away all my secrets

thqmas

Elite
Reaction score
The answer was in the original post: "Yes, and no.". That's all.

Good post Seeker. Very nice thread to read.

Just need to remember that "cheating" is not equal to "fu*king up your body"

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Its the same cue every coach gives their lifter. Tuck the shoulder blades into your back pocket is my version and there are countless others.

The point is to cause the lats and rhomboids to tighten. This brings the chest up.

You won't see rounding in the upper back when done properly by a lifter whose femur and or humerus is in normal proportion.

Which is pretty much never because the vitruvian man doesn't truly exist.

Each lifter has slightly different leverages. Wedging yourself under the bar is how you get speed. Many ways it's accomplished.

Probably one of the most bizarre lifters in this regard is KK. His back is severely rounded and he is one of the top deadlifters in the world.

Both Tool and DYS have interesting leverages for dl as well but I have both of them approaching the bar entirely different.

T4L mentions a cue used by a guy named McGill. Smart man. He was working with Brian Carroll on a back pain issue. This is where it came into play for him. It was a mistake Carroll was making with technique that was causing the issue and McGill quickly corrected it.

Carroll looks up hard when he pulls even at lockout. Round your shoulder forward and snap your head back. Don't feel good does it. Now put 700lbs in your hands and a dl suit that compresses your soul on. Amplified pain. By getting thoracic extension his pain is relieved.

So when pulling rounded it's important to keep the spine and neck neutral and then at lockout look downward. Not straight down.

While rounded the upper back must be strong too of course. There is slack yes, but it's contracted in that position.

Generally I don't jump right into this with a newer lifter. It's a more intermediate to advanced technique. Gotta play to the best leverage for that individual.

The text book form doesn't actually exist.

Thanks for the write up. Very helpful.
However would you agree that a rounded upper back decreases the overall range of motion for the pull? Every top level dead lifter I've ever seen has a fully rounded upper back. Some examples are Lilliebridge, Leaman, Hall, Magnusson, Urbank, and of course KK.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
However would you agree that a rounded upper back decreases the overall range of motion for the pull? Every top level dead lifter I've ever seen has a fully rounded upper back. Some examples are Lilliebridge, Leaman, Hall, Magnusson, Urbank, and of course KK.

Just remember when you pull rounded like that to put your lats in your front pocket. They can be tight either way

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Yes but not necessarily why they do it. Like I said rounded but still contracted. Get what I mean by that?

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of light weights, good form, good focus...
this is how i train:

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes but not necessarily why they do it. Like I said rounded but still contracted. Get what I mean by that?

Kind of. I've noticed that trying to bend the bar will also contract the lats. I guess if you can round your back while decreasing the range of motion and contract lats at the same time that would be ideal to me. Keeping the back arched just seems limiting to me.

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
me too.
If I can do 12 reps, I'm going too light.
I would add 5 lbs. or less

nope, lol.....not how I train is all ;) If I can't do a certain weight for full reps, I lower the weight or I use "pause" but I won't break form...that is more important to me than how much weight I'm lifting.

New Threads