Sumo deadlift?...

M1seryD1str1ct

Reaction score
So pulled sumo for first time today just bar 3x10 and so far feel fine. With my back (injured a year ago) that's a small miracle. Almost all tension on hamstrings significantly less on back than conventional.

Hm...

Beedeezy

Elite
Reaction score
I'm gonna try sumo for a training cycle. I pulled 315 sumo before I did conventional, and I had pulled conventional solely when that happened.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Master of the underground

What tips/insight might you have on pulling in this stance?

Feels SO much better on my back than conventional

Don't jerk the bar especially with sumo. Pull yourself and try to wedge yourself under the bar if that makes sense. Don't squat the weight up. Open your hips as much as possible. Spread the floor apart with your feet

Real men pull sumo ;)

M1seryD1str1ct

Reaction score
Don't jerk the bar especially with sumo. Pull yourself and try to wedge yourself under the bar if that makes sense. Don't squat the weight up. Open your hips as much as possible. Spread the floor apart with your feet

Real men pull sumo ;)

Sick, thank you. Really excited to give this an honest shot. What about balance with that wide of a stance?

Beedeezy

Elite
Reaction score
Watch the video I recommended and put tips from others together.
The video will give you more than the basics and explain a lot. After that you will have very specific if any questions.

Infantry87

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Real men pull sumo ;)

^^^ This....Seen a guy jerk a texas bar doing sumos. Bar flexed up and violently back down- this guys knees buckled shooting his face into the concrete ground. 3 teeth and stitches in the forehead............. Usually when I set up, I'll plant my feet under the bar then when I bend down to place my grip I'll start at my hams/glutes and tense them and then I imagine I'm trying to squeeze the bar under my arms to tense up my lats. Seems to help me when I start the pull, try to spread the ground with your feet and drive your hips through the bar.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sick, thank you. Really excited to give this an honest shot. What about balance with that wide of a stance?

You should be pushing out hard on the side of your feet. This locks the hips and keeps your balance.

When you pull Sumo in a meet you get a special trophy

Shaped like a dildo

Honesty impressed bro. Well done!

Turbolag

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sumo is fun man. It's really technical.

Have you tried it since your post?

M1seryD1str1ct

Reaction score
My back is why I pull sumo

Alright so about a year ago I deadlifted conventional 3x10 just the bar and couldn't walk for 3 days.

Yesterday I sumo'd 100 lbs. 3x10 and actually also squatted 100 lbs. 3x10...and today my back feels just fine. Injured spot fought me just a little bit yesterday though.

Big difference. Trying to decide if I should keep progressing light or just use this as a status update to tell my doc going into an MRI so I don't re-injure and go back to square one.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I like to bust balls on sumo, but it's really whatever works best for your leverages.

The problem is that I don't think most even really know what that means.

I have herniated L4 and L5 disks in my back. I can't pull sumo. I pull well north of 600 conventional. I can't even properly get down to the bar sumo.

Most people can't do either lift properly and that is why they have problems.

Pillar and Ecks, while not known for huge conventional deadlifts, both pulled a lot more then most conventionally before they realized they weren't going any further without making the change. Nobody would call Dan Green or Chris Duffin a pussy for pulling sumo, and Tom Finn would shit down your neck if you looked at him funny.

If you can't pull 100 lbs conventionally without back pain there are other problems.

New Threads