triceps mass builders?

ironhardempress

Lady Member
Reaction score
I have a gimpy shoulder right now so cant do close-grip bench press. Skull-crushers I can do but gotta stay kinda light or my elbow gives me some grief. what are y'all favourite mass-builders for tris? Thanks in advance

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi :) in your case i say cable push down then reverse using the ez curl bar attached to it, what i also like to do is lay down on a flat bench with a dumbbell and do a kick back while bringing the dumbbell down towards my chest and then squeeze on the back up. If i were u i would focus more on the negative part when coming down holding for 3 sec at the bottom then squeeze on top. For the last set do a drop set with 2 other dumbbells and go all out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Weighted Dipps or dipps in general...like jada said tricep push downs are a staple to tri's..you can easily go heavy on these with good form...use different grip handles, ropes etc...dumbell kick-backs but I'm not a fan and never do these.

saltylifter

Elite
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat.
I stick to machines right now which allows me to keep allot of pressure off the shoulder.
My pain is in the front shoulder area.

I work through the pain.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
V handle push downs made my triceps blow up when in first started training. Pyramid style like 8 sets up to a heavy set of 5 to 7 reps. Then a drop set. Used to start every arm day with that. Made them strong too. And don't be affriad to lean into the weight a little once u get into the heavy stuff. Just make sure you're still using just triceps to move it.

Also single arm push downs. Same thing. High reps and heavy sets of low reps. Tris are easy to target and should respond well if you're hitting them hard enough.

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Dips, close-grip bench, Lying Tricep Extensions(skull crusher), Seated Tricep Extensions (above the head for the Long Head).

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
V handle push downs made my triceps blow up when in first started training. Pyramid style like 8 sets up to a heavy set of 5 to 7 reps. Then a drop set. Used to start every arm day with that. Made them strong too. And don't be affriad to lean into the weight a little once u get into the heavy stuff. Just make sure you're still using just triceps to move it.

Also single arm push downs. Same thing. High reps and heavy sets of low reps. Tris are easy to target and should respond well if you're hitting them hard enough.

I call Bullshit, what made your triceps blow up is the fact you bench 500. I rest my case.

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My arms were super ghey and tiny, what made them actually grow was when I started doing for presses. Them bitches started to get ripped. Mix those with some dips and boom.

Last edited:

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Leave it to Jada to be doing tricep kickbacks.

You wear a Jane Fonda leotard and use pink dumbbells when you do them?

ironhardempress

Lady Member
Reaction score

ironhardempress

Lady Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that cable work (which I do a lot since i've had this shoulder/elbow issue) is more for definition and not so much mass. True? No?

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Close dips work your tris hard. They are a staple for me, along with floor presses for strength and they will grow.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Try this; light weight rope push downs but at the bottom of the movement, separate the rope and contract the tricep. Just use light weight, the payoff is in that contraction. If you do it right, you'll know it because you'll feel like you just gave yourself a tricep charlie horse.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If we're talking about mass buildup then you go for the exercises that build massive triceps. You can't do close grip presses because of your shoulder which is too bad because close grip, floor presses, pin presses are the best. So you should do variations of push downs using ropes, and different bars. Heavy sets. Not sure how dips would be on your shoulder. You can also try reverse behind the neck cable pulls. Heavy.

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Seated Overhead Tricep extensions with an EZ Curl bar really helped develop my long head to complete the horseshoe.

Dips, close-grip bench, Lying Tricep Extensions(skull crusher), Seated Tricep Extensions (above the head for the Long Head).

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
It is my understanding that cable work (which I do a lot since i've had this shoulder/elbow issue) is more for definition and not so much mass. True? No?

False - mass is built in the gym, definition comes from the kitchen :)

New Threads