Lift heavy during deficit- but how heavy?

viktor89

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm almost at my weight loss goal now. So far since Jan 9- i'm down 30 lbs another 10 lbs to go. I've lifted heavy since day one and I was even able to get into 900lb total. My strength did not suffer.

Now I'm on my last leg of weight loss and I tried 305 deadlift today and lol it came off the floor and knees caved in (happens in heavy squat too) and fail.

I can usually do 325lb for 3 reps. SO is that reasonable? Lyle Mcdonald suggests that volume should be cut in more than half of workout during deiting because it could hurt. As for maintaining muscle -keep the intensity same and you would be able to maintain the LBM or at least minimize the loss to a very little amount.

So is percent wise 70% of my TM (never tried PR) a reasonable amount to maintain strength and muscle gains you think?

Volume is down and I've cut down work to 2 exercises per body part and boxing 5 days for cardio now.

DarksideSix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
it's hard to maintain strength while in a deficit. just keep plugging away.

Megatron28

Elite
Reaction score
1-5 reps/set range is probably a good place to be.

saltylifter

Elite
Reaction score
Going strong after a huge weight loss. Get to your goal and start adding solid muscle onto your frame.
Keep up the hard work. Everyone has hit and miss days don't let it discourage u

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
man I lost a lot of strength during my weight loss but its coming back fast. I lost more weight than a lot of guys here actually weigh though!(260lbs lost) just keep working until you get to your goal weight and then eat clean and focus on adding muscle/strength. it will come back faster than you thing. its hard to maintain mass in a deficit.. work hard!

viktor89

Reaction score
So lifting with 70% of TM range is fine then?

One big thing I forgot to tell you guys is that because I've read this over and over again plus heard it all the time -that you lose strength in deficit.

Every workout I went into -My thinking would be- ok today i'll end up missing something. LoL last night I got 4 hours of sleep and woke up thinking Ok today I'm definitely going to miss my 305 and boom lol.

Usually by the time I'm next to the weight I have a clear head and I'm usually able to lift today even during my warm up all this nonsense was in my head.

Turbolag

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yea it's no fun losing strength while you diet. But your strength comes back after about a month from not being in a deficit. Just keep working and you'll get your strength up once your cut is over.

The strength comes back though. :)

Bigmike

Reaction score
man I lost a lot of strength during my weight loss but its coming back fast. I lost more weight than a lot of guys here actually weigh though!(260lbs lost) just keep working until you get to your goal weight and then eat clean and focus on adding muscle/strength. it will come back faster than you thing. its hard to maintain mass in a deficit.. work hard!

Yea, I lost 100 and felt about as strong as a twelve year old girl for a bit, but once you leave the deficit strength comes back quickly.

viktor89

Reaction score
Ok thanks everyone. Last 16 days left of my cut. After that I'll be going on maintenance for a while. Been in deficit since Jan 9 and didn't even take one single cheat day.

Learned so much. I'll post before/after.

Reactions: PZT

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
I always felt if I lost more than 10% I was losing weight too fast. And it would usually show muscle mass wise.

New Threads