How to keto diet ?? Ive been doing it all wrong

4acesbro21

Elite
Reaction score
Hey guys i recently posted about how my diet wasnt going according to plan and i felt i was loosing muscle etc ;,, after looking into it i realise i had it all wrong ,, i was eating virtually no fat and no carb only protein , the meats i was eating were all low in fat and after looking further i see that the fat should be about 60 or 70 percent in macro ratio ?

So my question is this , what do you recomend for a ratio for keto and 2nd what foods do you eat when doing keto diet ,,,

I was eating 1,500 calories which if im honest is stupid considering 2 months before this i was on 5,000 ,

And i was eating in the following ratio :protein-245grams
Carbs-49grams
Fats-30grams

As you can see my fat is lower then carn and i realise now i totally fkd up this diet and ive lost some hard earned muscle i gained during bulking but all well im glad this has happened as it led me to doing more research and learning more ,

And advice , comments would be appreciated and food listings that work well on keto diet
Thanks guys

losieloos

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've haven't been on a strict diet in almost a year.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Holy shit man how did you **** up like this? Read anything on keto and it's about fat!

5% carb 60% fat 35% protein.

Meals can be anything loaded with fat

Eggs and bacon or sausage

Chicken with guacamole on a flax wrap

Fatty cuts of beef with a full fat Caesar salad

Bacon

2 McDoubles toss the bun no ketchup

This is a very restrictive diet but is still easy to adhere to.

Reaction score
Shit I've been interested in it I just can't find a general layout I could personally adhere to. I need like a common foods list for this shit.

Reaction score
reddit: /r/keto/
reddit: /r/Keto_Food/

^ sorry, not high enough rank yet to post links.

It's all about the fat.

I'm on week 3 of keto and still not loving it. I had better weight loss with juice fasting. A healthy keto weight loss is about 2 or 3 pounds a week, and that's aggressive. I'm still waiting on the "keto high" but haven't hit it yet. Optimally, I want keto to serve me in endurace activities but currently i'm off about 5% on energy (speed/time). Going to give it another few weeks and if it doesn't take off i'll move to some sort of low carb regular diet. fwiw.

Ryand

Reaction score
Holy shit man how did you **** up like this? Read anything on keto and it's about fat!

5% carb 60% fat 35% protein.

Meals can be anything loaded with fat

Eggs and bacon or sausage

Chicken with guacamole on a flax wrap

Fatty cuts of beef with a full fat Caesar salad

Bacon

2 McDoubles toss the bun no ketchup

This is a very restrictive diet but is still easy to adhere to.

lmao, my thoughts exactly.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
reddit: /r/keto/
reddit: /r/Keto_Food/

^ sorry, not high enough rank yet to post links.

It's all about the fat.

I'm on week 3 of keto and still not loving it. I had better weight loss with juice fasting. A healthy keto weight loss is about 2 or 3 pounds a week, and that's aggressive. I'm still waiting on the "keto high" but haven't hit it yet. Optimally, I want keto to serve me in endurace activities but currently i'm off about 5% on energy (speed/time). Going to give it another few weeks and if it doesn't take off i'll move to some sort of low carb regular diet. fwiw.

You sound like you should invest the time in understanding your total daily energy expenditure.

Juice diets are not for athletes

Keto diets don't work better than a deficit in any other form. And if the keto feels like shit then bail on it.

Eat to perform

Reaction score
I ran keto for well over a year after hearing about it on rogan's show. I lost muscle and added alot of fat on it personally. And then after I had given up it came out that the diet, while in the short term can raise test, in the long term can drastically lower natural test levels at least for some.

i can't post links so just google Shawn Baker bloodwork keto test for more info on this subject it's pretty interesting.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Not a fan of Keto for athletes. It could possibly work for looks but not for performance imho. I feel carb rotations work better.

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
In a nutshell Keto diet is Carbs + Sugar = Fat

So Keto avoids both which forces your body to burn body fat and healthy fats from meats, dairy, and healthy oils for energy.

Documentaries I highly recommend watching:

Fat: A Documentary (older)

Fat Fiction (newer)
https://fatfiction.movie/

Using this knowledge I practice the art of keto without keto! :p

Lost 35 lbs since July 2019 practicing soluble dietary fiber with carbs and very low sugar.

I eat a lot of brussel sprouts, broccoli, oats with a few blueberries, etc.

Basically I just make sure that when I eat carbs that I eat some soluble dietary fiber along with them.

https://www.healthline.com/health/soluble-vs-insoluble-fiber

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods-high-in-soluble-fiber

Last edited:

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
My dinner:

2 chicken breasts pan fried med heat in olive oil with garlic, italian herbs, black pepper.
white button mushrooms, onion, minced garlic sauteed in olive oil and one pat of butter med heat (topping for chicken)
fresh spinach leaves de-stemmed and torn up by hand as lettuce for chicken sandwiches.
2 whole grain buns, toasted with butter
2 slices american cheese
1 large baked potato with butter and black pepper
2 cups brussel sprouts with butter

I eat burgers the same way.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My dinner:

2 chicken breasts pan fried med heat in olive oil with garlic, italian herbs, black pepper.
white button mushrooms, onion, minced garlic sauteed in olive oil and one pat of butter med heat (topping for chicken)
fresh spinach leaves de-stemmed and torn up by hand as lettuce for chicken sandwiches.
2 whole grain buns, toasted with butter
2 slices american cheese
1 large baked potato with butter and black pepper
2 cups brussel sprouts with butter

I eat burgers the same way.
I'm confused...

How is this a keto meal?

Big Mikey

Reaction score
Here's a keto macro split for 2000 calories
Fat has 9 calories per gram protein & carbs 4 calories per gram.

Fat 75% 166g.= 1494 calories
Protien 20% 100g =400 calories
Carbs. 5% 27.5g = 110 calories
Total calories 2004

Keto is highly effective for body fat loss. Part of this effectiveness is once your body acclimates to it & your hormones adjust, you're rarely hungry. So it's easy to run a caloric deficit. The disadvantages are it's macro parameters are quite narrow, which makes it easy to go out of ketosis. With excessive protein intake, that would be burning Amino Acids for fuel rather than fat. Another disadvantage I have found with it is it's not good for making gains. Carbohydrates fuel your muscles through a different mechanism of action that ketones do which makes glycogen a superior fuel for explosive strength, such as that heavy set you spent ten minutes psyching yourself up for to hit a new PR.
So if fat loss is your primary objective over gains, keto is an excellent plan, if you're looking to make sick ass gains, you need to eat a lot of carbs. You need to eat a lot period for that. 2004 calories won't cut it.

Reaction score
I tried keto for about 3 weeks last year, and it was the worst I've ever felt on any diet. It zapped my energy levels, my heart rate went through the roof with any cardio I did. I had bloods drawn for my gp right after, and my cholesterol levels were higher than they've ever been.

My trainer was like "wtf are you doing man, your body needs carbs for energy and to build muscle?!" I was just trying to cut a few pounds lol.

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
I'm confused...

How is this a keto meal?

It is not a keto meal. It's a meal designed from what I learned from watching the two documentaries about keto which taught me the value of soluble dietary fiber.

The soluble dietary fiber is in the brussel sprouts and the whole grain buns. The healthy dairy fats are the butter and cheese. Protein but not much healthy fat in chicken, but the olive oil is a healthy fat. The white button mushrooms are an aromatase inhibitor, pretty good one too.

When I am cutting I use even more keto diet priciples, but currently bulking and carbs are my friend! :)

New Threads