The Bro Split: why it sucks & better alternatives

mrmichael

Reaction score
thats my favorite split zilla wrote..Ive been doing it a while

basically PPL,PPL, Rest routine? I'm doing the same thing bro. I listed my exact workout/sets/volume and all on one of the pages on here. Zilla said it was gtg. Seems volume is the key with progressive overload. I get sometimes confused on some of the other threads there with guys posting "to grow ur arms, pound them to the ground" when zilla simply says a few sets on a push day will make them grow and u just need freq.... Confuses me...................................??

Anyways,

can u post ur split in terms of exercises, sets and reps u follow using that protocol? would love u to see them. ALSO, on push day. Do u do chest..arms...shoulders in that order or do u do chest..shoulders...arms..? does it matter? I usually do arms last, but i don't see them growing much tbh compared to delts lol...

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
basically PPL,PPL, Rest routine? I'm doing the same thing bro. I listed my exact workout/sets/volume and all on one of the pages on here. Zilla said it was gtg. Seems volume is the key with progressive overload. I get sometimes confused on some of the other threads there with guys posting "to grow ur arms, pound them to the ground" when zilla simply says a few sets on a push day will make them grow and u just need freq.... Confuses me...................................?? Anyways, can u post ur split in terms of exercises, sets and reps u follow using that protocol? would love u to see them. ALSO, on push day. Do u do chest..arms...shoulders in that order or do u do chest..shoulders...arms..? does it matter? I usually do arms last, but i don't see them growing much tbh compared to delts lol...
I like to do chest then shoulders tris..I modify it according to how I feel..I stick to basic shit with drop sets and super sets throwin in

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ill be honest that routine for me when im not on gear is hard cause of recovery time..On gear I fukkin loved that split

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
basically PPL,PPL, Rest routine? I'm doing the same thing bro. I listed my exact workout/sets/volume and all on one of the pages on here. Zilla said it was gtg. Seems volume is the key with progressive overload. I get sometimes confused on some of the other threads there with guys posting "to grow ur arms, pound them to the ground" when zilla simply says a few sets on a push day will make them grow and u just need freq.... Confuses me...................................??
Anyways,
can u post ur split in terms of exercises, sets and reps u follow using that protocol? would love u to see them. ALSO, on push day. Do u do chest..arms...shoulders in that order or do u do chest..shoulders...arms..? does it matter? I usually do arms last, but i don't see them growing much tbh compared to delts lol...

Dude, this is the second time I'm asking you to not hijack my thread. Seriously, post your own or PM Bundy and I'm sure he'll give you all the details of his training split.

mrmichael

Reaction score
Dude, this is the second time I'm asking you to not hijack my thread. Seriously, post your own or PM Bundy and I'm sure he'll give you all the details of his training split.

Okay sorry zilla. Didn't mean it that way. Just tried to keep the discussion going. Appreciate the thread man

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Forgot about this gem of a thread. Could one of the mods replace my current periodization sticky with this one? Most lifters will be find it far easier to understand & apply. Cheers.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Forgot about this gem of a thread. Could one of the mods replace my current periodization sticky with this one? Most lifters will be find it far easier to understand & apply. Cheers.
I could just leave both of them stickied. I think they are both excellent reads.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
This is fantastic. Really well written out I love the threads and discussions I find throughout the day on this forum.

Rot-Iron66

Elite
Reaction score
I kindly disagree. The Pro-Split has been around for ages, and has been proven, tried and true.
Its how you train, intensity and what you put into any program.

Some "modern day know it all's" think the magic is in the program, and they push their favorite.
If its their favorite, it is the best one (for them). I choose to use the old-school split's (though mine is a bit of a Frankenstein, my days are built around the big-4 (Bench, DL, SQ, OHP) for lower-rep heavy-weights on the main lifts, and hypertrophy stuff on the other sets/exercises. But on paper it looks like a Pro-Split. (Bro-Split is an embarrassingly ghey modern term to call it). The split/program you like the most, is the one that will produce the best results... After 43 years of doing this stuff, Ive tried a ton, and nothing works for me better than the old-school splits. (I enjoy them the most)... I see people program-hopping all the time, and they train like garbage. They will get zero even from the best laid-out routine..

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
@MrRippedZilla is it detrimental to lift twice daily when schedule permits? For example, let’s say I’m slammed with 14 hour workday and can’t workout one day. Would it be okay to say, train back/biceps the next morning, followed by say, shoulders the same evening ?

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
@MrRippedZilla is it detrimental to lift twice daily when schedule permits? For example, let’s say I’m slammed with 14 hour workday and can’t workout one day. Would it be okay to say, train back/biceps the next morning, followed by say, shoulders the same evening ?
In you're example, it would only be OK if you reduce the volume in both sessions to be equal to the volume of a typical day. Doubling, in other words taking 2 full days worth of work and putting into 1, is not OK.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
In you're example, it would only be OK if you reduce the volume in both sessions to be equal to the volume of a typical day. Doubling, in other words taking 2 full days worth of work and putting into 1, is not OK.
Ok. How then do you find your optimal volume ?

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
Ok. How then do you find your optimal volume ?
Log everything so you know if you’re recovering or not. Are you adding weights or reps or improving form each week? If yes you’re recovering. If not you’re not recovering and training, rest, diet or drugs is the issue.

New Threads