The Bro Split: why it sucks & better alternatives

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score

The Bro Split​

Most of you who've followed my posts across the boards will be very familiar for my passionate hate for the bro split.
The aim of this article is to show exactly why its such a poor way to train (ESPECIALLY on cycle) and then to suggest a few alternative splits that I have used successfully with clients & know for a fact produce very good results.

What is the bro split & why does it suck?

The bro split usually involves training 5xweek with each session dedicated to 1 muscle group in particular. It was commonly seen in many magazines and, as a result, adopted by most bros (including experienced guys who should know better).
Here is a basic example of what it may look like:

Mon - Chest
Tues - Back
Wed - Legs
Thurs - Shoulders
Fri - Arms
Weekend - Off

The main reason why this split sucks, and why no one looking to optimize hypertrophy should adopt it, is because of it's low frequency nature. Without getting too into the specifics of skeletal muscle biology, here is a nice summary of points to illustrate what I mean:

1) The "anabolic" effect of a workout (enhanced protein synthesis, glycogen storage, etc) tends to last around 72hrs and, regardless of the amount of training volume per session, 1 muscle group does NOT need 6 days to ****ing recover.
These 2 points combined basically mean that you end up WASTING away 3 days every single week since their is no continued stimulus for muscle growth and no need for the enhanced recovery time.

2) On cycle, your in a constant anabolic environment and recovery capacity is greatly enhanced.
This is the reason why most guys still grow even with a shitty bro split on cycle - its the AAS doing the majority of the work, not them.
If your recovery capacity is better, why do low frequency?
If your capable of training harder, which means the stimulus to create growth would be stronger, why train less?
Hopefully, you get the point.

Better split alternatives

DISCLAIMER:

The following splits were designed for bodybuilders where muscle growth for aesthetics is the main aim and not for PLers, OLers or other strength athletes where other considerations have to be taken into account. Yes, hypertrophy & strength do share many of the same general principles but the fact is, when we get down to the details, the training approach differs quite a bit.

When creating a split you can either focus on planes of movement or specific areas of the body and, IME, it doesn't makes much of a difference provided the training load is kept under control.
Speaking of training load, don't expect much more then a few sentences about the variables (volume, intensity, progression models, etc) within these splits since I outlined my thought process on these in a detailed article elsewhere that is well worth reading:
A-basic-guide-to-periodization

Now then, let's get down to business...

Full body

Mon - Full body, 12-15 reps
Tues
Wed - Full body, 3-5 reps
Thurs
Fri - Full body, 8-10 reps
Sat
Sun

- This is an ideal split for beginners who have experienced a few months of full body, linear training within a fixed rep range but still produces better results in advanced lifters as well (yes, full body > bro split).
- The incorporation of a high-low-mid undulating rep range is done specifically to max out 8RMs, which IME is the key training indicator for muscle growth (separated from strength, work capacity, etc).
- The mixture of reps also allows us to take advantage of the different pathways for hypertrophy (tension, fatigue, stress, etc).

Advanced, high frequency PPL

Mon - chest, triceps, front/side delts
Tues - Back, biceps, side/rear delts
Wed - Legs, core
Thurs - chest, triceps, front/side delts
Fri - Back, biceps, front/side delts
Sat - legs/core
Sun

- PPL is a well known split that hits everything 2x week (OPTIMAL)
- Not suitable for those with busy lives who may not find the time, or energy, to hit everything hard 6x week.

Intermediate upper/lower

Mon - upper
Tues - lower
Wed
Thurs - upper
Fri - lower
Sat
Sun

- Basic, convenient with good frequency & volume, can't go wrong here.
- Ideal setup for multiple periodization approaches, for example...

Intermediate-advanced, undulated upper/lower

Week 1
Mon - upper, 12-15 reps
Tues - lower, 12-15 reps
Wed
Thurs - upper, 3-5 reps
Fri - lower, 3-5 reps
Sat
Sun - optional accessory work (posing, addressing muscle imbalances, extra work for lagging muscle groups, etc)

Week 2
Mon - upper, 8-10 reps
Tues - lower, 8-10 reps
Wed
Thurs - upper, 8-10 reps
Fri - lower, 8-10 reps
Sat
Sun - optional accessory work (posing, addressing muscle imbalances, extra work for lagging muscle groups, etc)

Repeat week 1

- The idea here, again, is to rotate volume in a high-low-mid cycle with the primary focus being the 8-10 rep range.
- We can make this even more specific by rotating volume per MOVEMENT rather than per session.
For example for muscle groups that respond best to high reps like shoulders we could go with 8-10 & 3-5 rep work in week 1 with week 2 dedicated to 12-15 while, at the same time, going with 8-10 & 12-15 rep work in week 1 with week 2 dedicated to 3-5 rep work for faster twitch muscle groups like triceps. This is known as muscle fibre training, something I've written about elsewhere and will happily link to anyone interested.

Advanced, high frequency & low volume
Mon - upper, standard sets
Tues - lower, standard sets
Wed - upper, last sets to failure/rest pause/drop set/other advanced technique
Thurs - lower, last sets to failure/rest pause/drop set/other advanced technique
Fri - upper, all sets to failure/rest pause/drop set/other advanced technique
Sat - lower, all sets to failure/rest pause/drop set/other advanced technique
Sun

- Low volume is key to making this split work; we're talking 1-2 movements per muscle group for 2-3 sets each.
- The idea with the last sets in the mid-week session is to completely exhaust yourself with the advanced method of your choice. Personally, I prefer going to failure on the isolation stuff and rest pausing for the compounds.
- The final sessions of the week are, basically, and advanced form of high intensity training (except with more volume, 1 all out set isn't going to cut it).

Advanced, undulated, low frequency, upper/lower

Week 1
Mon - upper, 12-15 reps last set to failure/rest pause/dropset/etc
Tues - lower, 12-15 reps, last set to failure/rest pause/dropset/etc
Wed
Thurs - upper, 3-5 reps, all sets to failure/rest pause/dropset/etc
Fri - lower, 3-5 reps, all sets to failure/rest pause/dropset/etc
Sat
Sun

Week 2
Mon - upper, 8-10 reps last set to failure/rest pause/dropset/etc
Tues - lower, 8-10 reps, last set to failure/rest pause/dropset/etc
Wed
Thurs - upper, 8-10 reps, all sets to failure/rest pause/dropset/etc
Fri - lower, 8-10 reps, all sets to failure/rest pause/dropset/etc
Sat
Sun

Week 3
Mon - upper, 12-15 reps all sets to failure/rest pause/dropset/etc
Tues - lower, 12-15 reps, all sets to failure/rest pause/dropset/etc
Wed
Thurs - upper, 3-5 reps, last set to failure/rest pause/dropset/etc
Fri - lower, 3-5 reps, last set to failure/rest pause/dropset/etc
Sat
Sun

Week 4
Mon - upper, 8-10 reps all sets to failure/rest pause/dropset/etc
Tues - lower, 8-10 reps, all sets to failure/rest pause/dropset/etc
Wed
Thurs - upper, 8-10 reps, last set to failure/rest pause/dropset/etc
Fri - lower, 8-10 reps, last set to failure/rest pause/dropset/etc
Sat
Sun

Repeat week 1

- Notice how both the high & low rep sessions get a chance with the advanced techniques on the last & all sets depending on the week (1&3).
- For the 3-5rep sessions, I don't recommend failure as the advanced technique of choice (especially when doing it for all sets). Rest pause or dropsets are better suited here.
- Similar to the "Intermediate-advanced, undulated upper/lower" split, we can make all of this more specific by rotating the volume by movement rather than session. Again, PM me for more info since it can get pretty complicated from a tracking perspective.

Upper/lower/full

Mon - upper
Tues
Wed - lower
Thurs
Fri - full body
Sat
Sun

- I like this routine when going on a severe cut (40%+ deficit), or to keep things minimal during the last 1/3 or so of contest prep.
- It's still superior to the bro split due to the higher frequency (everything hit 2x week) and convenience of it all.

PPL/upper/lower hybrid

Mon - push
Tues - pull
Wed - legs
Thurs - upper
Fri - lower
Sat
Sun

- This is something an old training partner of mine used back in my competitive days and it stuck with me ever since.
- When you compare a 5x week routine like this to the 5x week bro split...the difference in training quality & results is massive.

Summary

You'll see a lot of upper/lower and PPL variations in these examples simply because most people are familiar with those set ups and, as a result, they are the easiest examples to use when demonstrating different setups. Provided your using at least 2-3 muscle groups per session, and hitting everything a minimum of 2x week, you can split it up as you wish.
As you can see, with a little bit of creativity you can come up with a tonne of good split routines that completely trump the classic bro split. Hopefully this article gave you some bright ideas :)

RippedZilla

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I love your threads bro..Very educational for all.

Megatron28

Elite
Reaction score
Zilla: do you recommend diet adjustments on days off or do you find it best to just keep the diet consistent regardless of days on/off?

TheHercWithAMouth

Reaction score
Awesome post, I use something similar to advanced PPL myself but since legs and shoulders are a strong point for me I train them once per week.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
I honestly admit that as of late I have been using the bro split, fuk!

curtisvill

Elite
Reaction score
Great article. Thank you. I have found that 3 days on one day off works best for me.
1- back, biceps, rear/side delts
2- chest, tris, front/side delts
3- legs
4- off
Repeat

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
Here's a full body I like that I made up myself.

1. Squats

2. Behind the neck Press

3. Seated Row or bent over row

4. Flat Benchpress

Last edited:

Franklin Yeti

Reaction score
I've done both the upper/lower split and the Bro split, as just about everyone on here probably has. I feel as though when I have 5 different muscle groups to work on a given day e.g. upper day (Chest, Shoulder, Back, Bis, Tris) 3 of those muscle groups don't get worked out with the intensity they deserve, or even I would like. No matter how much I say I'm going to go 100% on all 5, whatever muscle group is at the end of that workout just isn't going to get the intensity level it needs. My personal opinion is, I like going to the gym knowing that a given muscle is going to get completely blasted. Of course, this may not be ideal based on the above description (that's debatable also), but it's what I enjoy the most. When you boil it down, it's about what you enjoy doing the most that gets you to the gym, right?

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Zilla: do you recommend diet adjustments on days off or do you find it best to just keep the diet consistent regardless of days on/off?

Depends...gimme some more details on the context we're dealing with (bulk/recomp/cut, on/off cycle, insulin sensitivity, etc) and I can give a more specific answer :)

I've done both the upper/lower split and the Bro split, as just about everyone on here probably has. I feel as though when I have 5 different muscle groups to work on a given day e.g. upper day (Chest, Shoulder, Back, Bis, Tris) 3 of those muscle groups don't get worked out with the intensity they deserve, or even I would like. No matter how much I say I'm going to go 100% on all 5, whatever muscle group is at the end of that workout just isn't going to get the intensity level it needs. My personal opinion is, I like going to the gym knowing that a given muscle is going to get completely blasted. Of course, this may not be ideal based on the above description (that's debatable also), but it's what I enjoy the most. When you boil it down, it's about what you enjoy doing the most that gets you to the gym, right?

The intensity critique can be addressed with proper periodization (see the article I linked).
Intensity, as with all training variables, should be rotated because it is unrealistic to expect yourself to go in the gym and kill it 100% for every single muscle group, every single session - unless your a beginner or some sort of genetic freak.

Yes, what's enjoyable to an individual is more important than what's optimal because they're more likely to actually stick to the plan long term (adherence > everything else).
However, it's also important to note that psychological needs (what you enjoy) do not dictate physiological realities (what is needed for optimal growth) - in other words, no matter how much more enjoyable a style of training may be, that doesn't equate to it being "better" when judged in an objective manner.

The part in bold is where I have an issue - how is it debatable exactly? Provided volume is kept equal, how is completing blasting a muscle once a week better than hitting it twice a week?
Not to sound like an ass, but I have a pretty solid understanding of muscle biology from the acute molecular to the long term genetic level and I don't see any pathway that suggests less frequent stimuli to be superior.
My experience with myself & clients certainly doesn't support the bro split.
The data doesn't support it being better, as illustrated by a recent meta-analysis concluding 2x week frequency per muscle group to be superior to 1x week:
Effects of Resistance Training Frequency on Measures of Muscle Hypertrophy: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
So yes, if you have a logical argument as to why it's a better way of training, based off objective data, then I'm all ears :)

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
I did the bro split for years. Worked very well for me. I went from 145 pounds to 196 pounds over aboit ten years. Natural too. I trained hard as hell. Everything to failure . Drop sets. Super sets. Only trained each muscle once a week but I destroyed those muscles.

I didn't read your post cus im at work but I will later when I have more time.

TheHercWithAMouth

Reaction score
However, it's also important to note that psychological needs (what you enjoy) do not dictate physiological realities (what is needed for optimal growth) - in other words, no matter how much more enjoyable a style of training may be, that doesn't equate to it being "better" when judged in an objective manner.

QFT. As far as the bro split working for some people...it can be cycled in like anything else when you need a break from frequency or during off periods. Everything works, nothing works forever. If your intensity is high enough, you can make any split work....BUT what if you were cycling it as another variable with volume and frequency? Could you have gotten better results? The science seems to say so.

Last edited:

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The data doesn't support it being better, as illustrated by a recent meta-analysis concluding 2x week frequency per muscle group to be superior to 1x week:
Effects of Resistance Training Frequency on Measures of Muscle Hypertrophy: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
So yes, if you have a logical argument as to why it's a better way of training, based off objective data, then I'm all ears :)

Dat' footer doe'...inquiring minds wanna know...

"CONCLUSIONS:
When comparing studies that investigated training muscle groups between 1 to 3 days per week on a volume-equated basis, the current body of evidence indicates that frequencies of training twice a week promote superior hypertrophic outcomes to once a week. It can therefore be inferred that the major muscle groups should be trained at least twice a week to maximize muscle growth; whether training a muscle group three times per week is superior to a twice-per-week protocol remains to be determined."

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Dat' footer doe'...inquiring minds wanna know...

"CONCLUSIONS:
When comparing studies that investigated training muscle groups between 1 to 3 days per week on a volume-equated basis, the current body of evidence indicates that frequencies of training twice a week promote superior hypertrophic outcomes to once a week. It can therefore be inferred that the major muscle groups should be trained at least twice a week to maximize muscle growth; whether training a muscle group three times per week is superior to a twice-per-week protocol remains to be determined."

Data is too weak to conclude anything but, IME, the answer is yes :)

I regularly have guys bump up the frequency to 3xweek for 1-2 lagging muscle groups while reducing the total training load for everything else.
Of course you could train everything 3x week (think morning/evening sessions) provided you take into account issues with convenience and programming. Most guys left to their own devices will inevitably go overboard with the volume and end up worse off so its not something I generally recommend.

saltylifter

Elite
Reaction score
Shit I've been training wrong my entire life fukkkkkkkkkkkking son of a bitchhhhhhh..
Time for a change
Thanks for the read
Very good

Cobra Strike

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have to agree that training a specific muscle more than once a week will provide more results. My shoulders use to be lagging and I wanted to build them so I trained them on Thursday and Saturday. Thursday would be hypertrophic and sat would be heavy. The only issue I have with your splits is that I just don't have the time to train for 2 - 3 hours a day. Right now with doing one muscle group and cardio I am already there for an hour and a half. I would love to be in the gym for 2 hours a day but just not feesable in my life. I also don't compete..just like to look like I do lol

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
I have to agree that training a specific muscle more than once a week will provide more results. My shoulders use to be lagging and I wanted to build them so I trained them on Thursday and Saturday. Thursday would be hypertrophic and sat would be heavy. The only issue I have with your splits is that I just don't have the time to train for 2 - 3 hours a day. Right now with doing one muscle group and cardio I am already there for an hour and a half. I would love to be in the gym for 2 hours a day but just not feesable in my life. I also don't compete..just like to look like I do lol

That's where volume control and focusing on quality, rather than quantity, comes in :)

In all seriousness, the most optimal programme on paper means nothing if people cannot follow it in reality...adherence > everything else.

New Threads