Pec major tear today

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I had a complete pec tendon rupture a 2 1/2 years ago so I know how you feel. Mine was surgically repaired; I spent 5 weeks in a sling and 3 months of rehab before I was allowed to put weight on the bar. I'm not going to lie to you; it's a dark place you're in right now.

The fact you had such quick bruising would lead me to believe that the damage is all in the muscle. Still, I would request an MRI. If it is in the muscle,they really can't repair it, muscle to muscle stitching doesn't hold well. If it's in the tendon, that can be fixed but like I said, I think this is all muscle.

You need to get that in the sling your doctor recommended and get some PT asap. Also stay away from pain NSAID's, they can help keep down swelling for the first 2 days but the can increase bleeding and prolong the body's natural healing process.

There's more to go over as you get down the road but I can tell you this; you can return to those previous weights you were using but it has to be done right and it will take time. For now immobilize it.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'd have 1001 questions ready for your doc on the follow up. If it happens to turn out that there is a tendon rupture the soon it's surgically repaired the better. You will have scar tissue & limiting that is pretty important. Cross friction massage is used to break up scar tissue.

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
Very good that is my plan. I will be ready to discuss in detail of course.
How about the cycle I started...I don't wanna dump it...what's ur thoughts on that?
And I want to say thank you.
I got on the chat box and asked the guys to read my thread and give some insight. They did. And I appreciate that greatly..

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Very good that is my plan. I will be ready to discuss in detail of course.
How about the cycle I started...I don't wanna dump it...what's ur thoughts on that?
And I want to say thank you.
I got on the chat box and asked the guys to read my thread and give some insight. They did. And I appreciate that greatly..

I'd drop the cycle. No reason to waste it. Plus staying on reduces collagen synthesis.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That does suck. I've had a lot of injuries and my arm in a sling many times. Best thing you can do is let it completely heal. Check with your doctor before lifting again. Other wise, if you get impatient to get back in to the gym even if it feels good enough you can re injure it right away again.
You don't have to stop training, you don't have to stop your cycle either in my opinion. Just train legs for now and whatever else you can do that doesn't pull on that pec. I got some huge legs by doing just that when I was down.
Also get creative with what ever equipment you have, you can use a machine for some thing other than it was made for. adapt and overcome your situation for right now.
For example, when I had my arm in a cast, I couldn't hold a bar to do shrugs. So I used the standing calf raise machine. I put the pads on my shoulders and instead of lifting with my calves I shrugged with my shoulders, worked pretty damn good actually.
Well good luck to you....let that pec heal all the way.

Last edited:

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
View attachment 3060

This is as bad as it got. Swelling was down just a little this morning.
I got in the gym yesterday to carefully see what I can do.
So lower body is gonna be a go. I even did some high rep low weight dumbbell shrugs, super isolated laterals, and found I could brace myself bend over and carefully do some dumbbell rows at just the right angle. All of this of course was very light and with strict attention to zero pec flex, not even to get the bells off the rack.
I guess I could keep this thread alive as I rehab and update as things progress if it would prove useful to others.
Back to sports doc on 8/1/16 to verify the damage and plan going forward.
Thanks the all the have given some input.

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
Couple of odd things happening around this injury.
The swelling of the pec, lower pec especially, is just unreal. I have a nice B cup titty now. Expected that I reckon. But my entire body has gotten softer and holding more water. Nothing in diet or gear has changed. But my whole body seems to have gone into repair\protect overdrive.
And even odder is a constant desire for sweets, usually I can take sweets or leave'em. I want sweets at all waking hours now..huh..

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
PHP:
View attachment 3080

Please mods, doing this from my phone. If this damn pic is not oriented correctly, please fix it.
And after 4 days. I'm surprised at how the swelling and bruising has improved.
ROM has improved slightly. I'll try to give some real detail as this progresses.
Yeah all right then. No more time to try and rotate pic.
I apologize. From my phone I have no clue.?.?

Steak Helmet

Elite
Reaction score
That is a shitty thing. Start your repair plan now. It's not a total tear....you're better off tearing it all the way off and having them reattach it.

Ryand

Reaction score
Get into a physical therapist asap

^^ This, or a physiotherapist, chiropractor, DO --someone trained in active rehabilitation, as well as active release technique, graston, dry needling, kinesiotape, etc.

Get somewhere asap after you follow up with the doctor on 8/1/16. And try to keep mobile, absolutely do not sling that thing. Based on your minor muscle tear, you shouldn't need any orthopedic intervention unless there is significant tendon damage.

Did he suggest MRI at all?

Ryand

Reaction score
That is a beautiful tear BTW lol.

Sucks man that bruising is intense.

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Let it heal bro....no matter the time. Get it straight.

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
Anxious to see the doc tommorow.
Mood has improved as daily ROM improves. Making me hopeful of at least "maintain" type workouts for most other body parts.
Swelling down enuff that I can see there is deformation...that's hard to swallow. Hoping mainly for most strength to be recovered.
I think Snake recently spoke of doing triples on the bench.
Honestly I look at the bench now and feel scared. Almost literally scared of feeling this happen again. Still down mentally from it somewhat.
The bruising actually had continued. As I now have bruising down to my hip and oblique.
The bruising in my forearm and lower bi is now itching and warm to the touch.
I'd post another pic, but from my damn phone I cannot orient it correctly and feel like an asshole.
Ok I will update Tuesday after seeing doc Monday.

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
Front brusing and swelling

View attachment 3092

Last night from the front.
What you see in my mouth is my headset for my braces....:32 (20):
Or maybe a toothbrush, either way. That's how its looking about 7 days post incident.
Got lucky yesterday morning. About 0700 taking my 4 yr old fishing, go to get "his poles", Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle pole, anyway somehow both of his reels are screwed up. I'm squatted down in the driveway fixing one of them and I went into a sneezing fit.
In my back I have something between my ribs, right side, that likes to pop and hurt like hell to.
So the sneezing while hunched over blew that out. And now breathing, and standing is also a suck fest.
Ahhh good times, good times....:32 (19):
But he did manage to catch 5 hand sized pan fish....He had a blast with his gimp of an old man I think. I know I had a blast.
Anyway I'll post up how the doc appointment funnels out. Provided I don't hurt something else and just go ask for a permanent bed at the hospital...ha!

Thank you to everyone that pokes in here with some advise, I'm listening closely and following as I can.

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
By the by if someone could key me in on how to rotate pictures I would appreciate it.
From my desktop I take it to paint, do what I need and put it back on the post.
From my iphone 6 I have no clue how to do it, and I apologize.
Nothing like asking people to look and help and they injure themselves....
PM me or let me know how to do it if you can. Thank you.

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
Update after seeing doc yesterday.
Upon seeing bruising nearly to my wrist and down my back to my waist..."Ok well you maybe you hurt this more than we thought huh.."
I don't know doc, that's why I'm back to make sure of how bad it was I thought. Plus ask a ton of questions.
Well he pulls in a couple other docs, and the surgeon that would be doing the repair if needed. My injury was on parade and I admit I got a bit self conscience of it. The door was left open and people were just coming and going to see "The ****ed up old man, in exam room 3" is kinda how I felt.
Bottom line I will being going for an MRI to hopefully discover exactly what the damage is and make decisions from there.
The surgeon was explaining that on older patients they will purposely cut this tendon to gain access to shoulder injuries and just leave it cut. They are not necessarily concerned with deformation of full functionality of the chest muscle at that age.
Anyway I'll post up how I'm healing and rehabbing until more useful info is gleaned from the MRI.
So yeah more to come I reckon unless this thread is just boring and get's stagnant. I'd like to make it useful for reference by the next member having this injury. But not sure I know enough to include everything relevant for future reference. I'll do what I can. Maybe someone with a bigger brain than me can make a list of bullet points I should hit as this develops...
Thanks to all.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
"They are not necessarily concerned with deformation of full functionality of the chest muscle at that age."

I hope you let them know that YOU! are concerned about deformation & functionality. You want the best fukn repair that they can do. No half assed BS.

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
"They are not necessarily concerned with deformation of full functionality of the chest muscle at that age."

I hope you let them know that YOU! are concerned about deformation & functionality. You want the best fukn repair that they can do. No half assed BS.

Thanks DF. They are fully aware that I need to be able to continue a lifestyle that includes strength training. They asked me directly about it, actually asked about steroid use....
My standing joke about why I like lifting is that I have a 4 year old boy that as he gets through adolescents may need me to whip his ass....ha.
Seriously yes, the plan is to work towards complete recover. MRI is this Friday, follow up is next Monday with surgeon.
My ROM is rapidly improving, I am being very cautious as I exercise, but I was actually able to do some light dumbbell rows (60's) today and some rear delt moves without irritation. The movements are certainly different, more isolated and almost isometric in completion, time under tension has been upped dramatically as I carefully move the weight. Interesting to say the least. Just hoping that I do not completely regress during all of this really.
Thanks to all for concern and comment.
Again maybe someone could bullet out some finer points of interest that I should be sure to capture here, and I will do my best to oblige.

Reactions: DF

Ryand

Reaction score
Thanks DF. They are fully aware that I need to be able to continue a lifestyle that includes strength training. They asked me directly about it, actually asked about steroid use....
My standing joke about why I like lifting is that I have a 4 year old boy that as he gets through adolescents may need me to whip his ass....ha.
Seriously yes, the plan is to work towards complete recover. MRI is this Friday, follow up is next Monday with surgeon.
My ROM is rapidly improving, I am being very cautious as I exercise, but I was actually able to do some light dumbbell rows (60's) today and some rear delt moves without irritation. The movements are certainly different, more isolated and almost isometric in completion, time under tension has been upped dramatically as I carefully move the weight. Interesting to say the least. Just hoping that I do not completely regress during all of this really.
Thanks to all for concern and comment.
Again maybe someone could bullet out some finer points of interest that I should be sure to capture here, and I will do my best to oblige.

Let us know how the MRI goes, I would be happy to read the report for you.

They completely cut tendons of other muscles because it is easy on the surgeon, and it will make your recovery faster; however, it does ruin function.

If you want to maintain your function make sure you request that!!!

They will absolutely cut shit out to make it easy on them....b/c they think you are a sedentary old man that doesn't need his shoulder.

New Threads