Never say die!!!!

turbobusa

Reaction score
As some of you know I recently was "advised" I needed my left shoulder replaced. My body is fairly beat up from 30 something years of iron, brawling in my youth and heavy labor. A really bad (near fatal) MC accident in 04 was the game changer. Recently I was really devastated when the doctor casually said no more wt training you need a shoulder replacement etc. All that after 30 seconds of moving my arm around. Never reviewed the xrays etc. It was about a 90 second consultation with doc.. We all have stress in our lives .Some more than others . Some very little some way more than is healthy.
I seem to fall in to the second group as I am sure some of my brothers here at the ug do. Last year when I had family and friends dropping like flys ug was a great help to me. Of course the ug is YOU and me. After the bad news I drove over to lake michigan and tryed to relax. Prayed on it and felt relief,
I knew then that God had put me in front of the shoulder replacement salesman to wake me the hell up.
I'm back training and rehabbing my shoulder. It's coming along just fine. I know in retrospect that to go the way of that shady doc is to put my name on the short list here on earth. This life is the only one (I) we have and to put our basic needs (exercise nutrition and postive spiritual state) aside to take care of everyone elses needs is a shortcut to not being here long for anyone. I know this may seem like a rant but really I'm saying go on and be good to yourself .
Never let anyone tell you it's time to be old and waiting for your departure time. Shit i'm wondering what the Next 50 years will bring.
Thanks, T

MR. BMJ

Elite
Reaction score
Great post, turbo! I agree, you are only as old as you make yourself out to be. Obviously we can't jump around like we did in our teens and 20's, but that doesn't mean we are decrepid either. Glad you are making the best of your situation!

I have a very good friend, who also mods at AFboard with me, who is a wealth of information on shoulder issues. He's given so much advice on the subject, it's unreal. If you ever need any advice, let me know and I can try to get him to join here, or send you a link to over there to ask him questions.

Hell yea though....cheers to the next 50 years, my brother:)

vpiedu

Reaction score
right on turbo! im sure your next 50 will be kick ass. glad the shoulder is coming along brother.

VP

Reaction score
Hey Turbo! Let me tell you a little story and its going to make you feel better. And its ironic you mention this subject too.

I went in to see my shoulder ortho sports doc this week. I've been having my typical shoulder pains, but I just wanted him to look at it and see what he thought. Its been a few years since I have seen him and he gives me a script for Mobic (good NSAID) that helps my pain a lot when needed. So it was time for an update.

He comes into the exam room with a nurse practitioner. To make a long story short, they were amazed after looking at my latest x-rays that I am still hitting the gym and maintaining the muscle I have. They were very complimentary and said to just keep doing what I am doing. Even though, technically, I may need a joint replacement, I am doing just fine they said.

So, don't listen to what they have to say according to their opinions. Do what you feel is best for you. Its your body. Make modifications in your training and keep pressing on!

Marshall

Reaction score
Make modifications in your training and keep pressing on!

I think that's an understatement, brick. Too often we just don't change and adapt, especially as we age. I'm trying to constantly adapt to get the most from the least when it comes to throwing weights around.

turbobusa

Reaction score
Thanks so much brothers. I feel good. BMJ can you send me that link? Thanks. Sorry for the title Marsh as that is one sabbath album I know you don't like! LOL Thanks, T

Reaction score
Good motivational story bro. I think we all have shoulder problems of some sort but I just keep an eye on it and keep hitting the gym

Reaction score
I think that's an understatement, brick. Too often we just don't change and adapt, especially as we age. I'm trying to constantly adapt to get the most from the least when it comes to throwing weights around.

Very true Marshall, sometimes as the years progress, I feel my training options become fewer and fewer. Training smarter becomes more important. When you are young, you can just plough through a lot in the gym and get away with it.

turbobusa

Reaction score
So true brick and marsh . Though many of us have much learned experience and knowledge we can become "set" in our ways.
The all or nothing attitude has at times left me with nothing. Training and nutrition changes are the key for me along with
postive mental outlook. The latter is what we all can help one another with.. Thanks, T

Jim550

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear your not going under the knife T, keep rehabbing that shoulder and take it slow.

turbobusa

Reaction score
Thanks jimbo. I am heeding all you guys advice. Just trained and feel good. Everybody have a great day and week. Thanks, T

New Threads