Rack pulls

BigJohnny

Elite
Reaction score
Lately I've been trying to incorporate rack pulls into my workout to help my shitty deadlift. Can one of you fine fellas give me advice on bar placement? Should it be below knee, slightly above, or even with knee? Thanks for help guys!

CardinalJacked

Squat King
Reaction score
POB would be the one to ask about that.

But I would say wherever you weak point is.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If your deadlift is shitty how about we fix your deadlift. 99% of the time it's technique that hinders progress not some weak point.

And deficit pulls work better anyway

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think rack pulls are only going to strengthen your lats and traps. Which can can obviously help your deadlift but like POB said, fix the problem at the source ie your deadlift. If you pull like shit then rack pulls ain't gonna do much for your complete deadlift. Post up a vid for critiques if you'd like.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I love block pulls. I have 2 concrete blocks I pull off of and they are 8" off the ground. I only pull from the floor 2-3x before a meet in 16 weeks. It works for me but that's me. Anything above the knees is useless for me.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
If u do rack pulls only do them about two or three inches higher than normal deadlift. Don't be that guy doing then with an inch range of motion with 800 pounds on the bar

I used to like them after normal pulls to overload a little bit.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
I do my rack pulls in supersets, switching between overhand and underhand grips. Open to feedback.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Just fix your deadlift..................pull up some articles,done by power lifters or Olympic contenders.......They will have some great tips to improve your tech..

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I do my rack pulls in supersets, switching between overhand and underhand grips. Open to feedback.
So...

You're doing rack pulls with a double underhand grip?

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm an idiot. I meant bent over lat pulls.

Lol the underhand version is called a Yates row. Which was popularized by Dorian Yates. He actually did tear his bicep doing them.

Reactions: Jin
Reaction score
Rack Pulls are useful for trap development. For your DL, concentrate on your form. Usually DL issues come from improper form. Film your DL from different angles or have an experienced lifter critique your lift.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Ideally you want the bar about 2 inches below your sticking point, where the bar starts to slow down.

Rack pulls are for deadlift weaknesses below the knees, I like mats and boxes better.

Can be mats anywhere from 2 inches up to 6 inches as an example of height.

It's not about max effort 1 rep lifts in the rack it's about making the competition lift stronger by slightly overloading the bar so you can pull heavier weight at your sticking point then you would off the floor.

You must know where you are weak and set height accordingly no just jumpin a rack.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Ideally you want the bar about 2 inches below your sticking point, where the bar starts to slow down.

Rack pulls are for deadlift weaknesses below the knees, I like mats and boxes better.

Can be mats anywhere from 2 inches up to 6 inches as an example of height.

It's not about max effort 1 rep lifts in the rack it's about making the competition lift stronger by slightly overloading the bar so you can pull heavier weight at your sticking point then you would off the floor.

You must know where you are weak and set height accordingly no just jumpin a rack.

Agree.

I use racks time to time, but mostly as a max effort rotation with bands and/or chains aeound mid chin level.

If i fail the top set at a certain point, I'll adjust the racks as you're suggesting, and hit some back off sets with roughly 80%.

I have found them to be slighlty harder than regular deads from the minimal leg drive I get from them.

New Threads