The cube

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
"Tool...remember, keep the wrists angled down with the @9 RPE double bicep pose. The judges are sitting below the stage."

--Snake

a20.jpg

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Depends on how he's feeling that day - his 13 might only be a 4 or 5... ;)

All jokes aside, and with all due respect, that comment in itself shows lack of comprehension of RPE.

@X is @X. Doesn't matter how you feel.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
All jokes aside, and with all due respect, that comment in itself shows lack of comprehension of RPE.

It was more a pun at the proposed buggery and yer manhood than a critique of RPE. Everyone has a 13 on the internet.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
I like both styles of training. Both have its advantages.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score

Rate of perceived exertion (RPE) is subjective by definition. If you have Ebola, and your training max is 400lbs, 100lbs can be an RPE of 9. Whereas 100lbs can never be more than 25% of your training max.

I think we could use a reactive training write up from some bro. It could shed some light on this.

Any RPEists want to help old people understand?

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Rate of perceived exertion (RPE) is subjective by definition. If you have Ebola, and your training max is 400lbs, 100lbs can be an RPE of 9. Whereas 100lbs can never be more than 25% of your training max.

I think we could use a reactive training write up from some bro. It could shed some light on this.

So if I am lazy but want to make gains, I give myself Ebola and don't have to lift as much weight. Profit!!!!

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score

Yes it would be @9. But that's the exact point. @9 is @9. Period. You wouldn't call it @3 because you could do 400 on a good day.

I feel you guys are leaning too hard on the "self regulation" side. @9 means ~90% of your max effort. Not 90% of how hard you feel like going.

A guy who feels lazy and calls @7 an @9 is the same guy that's going to cheat his % a few lbs because he's feeling lazy. Or miss a lift but put it in his log anyway.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
So if I am lazy but want to make gains, I give myself Ebola and don't have to lift as much weight. Profit!!!!
Interesting view. The weight is less, yes. But has the % effort changed?

That's the key.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

I have a half written article on this. There are actually a few different uses or applications of rpe. It's not always subjective and it's definitely not an excuse to be a pussy. Just ask any of my guys lol

Although over shooting tends to be more chronic which is almost as bad.

I will try and finish this thing up soon.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have a half written article on this. There are actually a few different uses or applications of rpe. It's not always subjective and it's definitely not an excuse to be a pussy. Just ask any of my guys lol

Well, Milo told me if you didn't finish it by Friday, you were going to get dealt with....

I talked him down a bit...but he was pissed.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
I'm just in the talking shit wagon. I'm all about RPE.

It's good for discussion though.

I feel like grasping rpe is like learning to ride a bike. Seems impossible. You fight it over and over, till suddenly it clicks. Then you look back and say "wow, why was that so hard to understand"

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It's good for discussion though.

I feel like grasping rpe is like learning to ride a bike. Seems impossible. You fight it over and over, till suddenly it clicks. Then you look back and say "wow, why was that so hard to understand"

Tool, I'm going to call you the exception to the rule.

But for the average guy, without a coach, how can you tell him to be objectively subjective with his autoreg training? The answer to that is difficult.

As opposed to %ers saying "what's your best?" and plug and play.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Tool, I'm going to call you the exception to the rule.

But for the average guy, without a coach, how can you tell him to be objectively subjective with his autoreg training? The answer to that is difficult.

As opposed to %ers saying "what's your best?" and plug and play.
If someone is incapable of applying rpe correctly, then I'd say they need to do a daily max with % sets based on that.
Which is in a way rpe for dummies.

I do not think true rpe training is applicable for someone who isn't 100% dedicated. And by that I mean able to be 100% honest with themselves.

Edit:
Granted, I'm always learning. And often my mind works faster than I can put words together.

Last edited:

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
I wanted to hit a few points here but needed to wait till I could sit down and think

The best part of percentage training is that it ultimately builds a lifter that understands his limitations by a measurable amount.
I don't see where rpe fails this
RPE training allows for good days and bad, but there has to be something said about the Bulgarians that go to max percentages every day...some times multiple times per day--very successfully. This in itself demonstrates that lifting maximally is not in psychological preparedness and capability, but in physical capacity in highly trained athletes.
Is that not also going a daily max effort as well? I agree 100% that maximal lifting is about physical capacity. And your capacity is not identical down to the pound every single day
Percentage training produces light-switch lifters that turn it on and off because they train to live and die by a chart--demonstrative maximum strength on demand.
And I am training to demonstrate maximum effort on demand. Whatever that may be.
I've never done RPE training, so I can't speak to its efficacy, but it seems to favor a lifter's mental variability. That may be good for newer lifters on the whole.

Now, I know I am going to get destroyed for this, but here goes: the whole world is full of lifters that don't want to walk into a rack and single a max by percentage of some high water mark. It's mentally tough to attempt to max every week. But that's kind of the idea.

I've said myself that I believe the future of PLing is in RPE. But truthfully that is because competitive lifting has gotten popular and more people are doing it. % training could never hope to be as popular as RPE training. It's too damn taxing. So anything that gets a lifter to follow a program is great. All the better that RPE training is a solid program.

That said, I've been injured....a lot. Take my advice at your own risk. Nothing about singles at or above 100 is safe.
I really think rpe lifters could be separated into two groups in relation to the rising popularity of the sport.
You have those that will push themselves to their true max effort (or whatever is called for that day),
And you will also have those that train rpe because it's easier to "cheat"
Rpe IS a lot harder to be honest with. In % training you have a number on a paper. You either hit it or your don't.
With rpe you have a demanded effort. If you don't "feel" like going heavy, and don't hit what you KNOW you are capable of on that day, than its no different than a % lifter skipping a rep/set or adjusting the weight. In both cases you're only hurting yourself.

SuperBane

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Can you break this shit down in like a RPE for dummies?
Or maybe a brief outline you would use for a guy?
Shit I liked % base training because I know what I supposed to hit, If I miss I just repeat til I don't.
That doesn't leave me with any what If's

Tool is making me feel like I'm leaving shit on the table and I'm missing out.
But y'all are speaking French and I'm feeling remedial plus I can't remember back to any of the lessons from 8th grade
Bonjour mfer!

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Can you break this shit down in like a RPE for dummies?
Or maybe a brief outline you would use for a guy?
Shit I liked % base training because I know what I supposed to hit, If I miss I just repeat til I don't.
That doesn't leave me with any what If's

Tool is making me feel like I'm leaving shit on the table and I'm missing out.
But y'all are speaking French and I'm feeling remedial plus I can't remember back to any of the lessons from 8th grade
Bonjour mfer!
It's simply a measurement of how many reps you had left in the tank. RPE 7 means you had 3, RPE 8 means 2 and so on.

New Threads