The cube

Frenchie

Reaction score
Hello,

I was recommend to do the cube because I am not really progressing anymore with my bodybuilding programs (OVT at the moment).
I see you have a section on it but only found very little info except some people saying they have a mysterious pdf ^^
So after some research I ended up on this book (i guess that's the pdf people ask in PM) : thebuddyjrises.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/thecubemethod.pdf
I thought it would be useful to people like me who are lost with a "you should try the cube" and a section with very specific questions :p

I went through it quickly, I will have a deeper look this we and start the program next monday !
Looking forward to my first PL program

IHI

Elite
Reaction score
I just began the cube monday, mother****er is all I will say about that. Showed my pissed poor cardio/endurance real fast.

Awesome so far, love feeling like I got my ass kicked.

Frenchie

Reaction score
I'll print that book at the office and read it carefully :)
good luck !

IHI

Elite
Reaction score
Been training going on 4yrs, have ran a few different programs and have put on size, but size to strength ratio, as been the case even when I was younger, is pathetic. So I really dug in reading about the cube method, that lead me to really dig into west side principals, and then seems with everything I read, many guys recommended running cube method first before diving into the wsbb program since it's more/less the Jr high version and a great prep for the real deal.

This a.m. was day 6, the build your own wo on top of the preprogrammed stuff. Wasn't nearly as taxing as prior lower body stuff, but I really need help on lower half. Injury and bad joints have made me shy away from focusing on hitting lower body too much because it stays with me popping vicatin just to be able to walk, but am committed to giving it a hard shot since I believe that is what's really holding up good upper body progress because my base is patheticly weak.

It's awesome, leaves me feeling beat up, and I love that feeling lol.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
The cube is a peaking program. I wouldn't suggest running it over and over. I would run it to test my maxes at the end and that's it. I've ran it a few times and liked it but like I said I wouldnt keep running it after I tested maxes.

I don't know what version u have because there are so many out there but I like how the competition lift percentages are thru out the week for the three and how they change. One thing I don't like is the accessory movement percentages. Some could be higher and some are too much IMO. But run it and test your maxes and go from there. It's fun

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
x2, what Ecks said (Cube = Peaking)

For everyday grind, I'm a fan of Wendler's 5-3-1 or Westside.

SuperBane

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
% training is ghey

What makes it ghey and why do you have a picture of pinkbear as your avatar?
I like the cube just like I liked 5x5. I like %
I didn't like 5/3/1 at all.
But what do I know? My maxes aren't like your guys

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
What makes it ghey and why do you have a picture of pinkbear as your avatar?
I like the cube just like I liked 5x5. I like %
I didn't like 5/3/1 at all.
But what do I know? My maxes aren't like your guys
What makes it ghey is that it's not optimal. You never go into the gym in exactly the same condition every time. How well you ate, how well you slept, life stress, recovery from previous workouts, it all plays into what your actual training max would be for that lift on that day. So training based on a set 1rm, some days you will overshoot and some days you'll have some left in the tank.
Rpe training puts you at the best workout you can do on that day, every time.

THAT SAID:
Rpe does take a while to get the hang of. And the hardest part of it is being honest with yourself.

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
What makes it ghey is that it's not optimal. You never go into the gym in exactly the same condition every time. How well you ate, how well you slept, life stress, recovery from previous workouts, it all plays into what your actual training max would be for that lift on that day. So training based on a set 1rm, some days you will overshoot and some days you'll have some left in the tank.

THAT SAID:
Rpe does take a while to get the hang of. And the hardest part of it is being honest with yourself.

Regardless of the criticisms against its use, percent training has put out more world champions and a much longer history of success than the RPE scale. Don't get me wrong, I like both and have done both, but just as RPE training lets you take advantage of good days, the % training method pushes you on bad days. Both have benefits and trade offs.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Regardless of the criticisms against its use, percent training has put out more world champions and a much longer history of success than the RPE scale. Don't get me wrong, I like both and have done both, but just as RPE training lets you take advantage of good days, the % training method pushes you on bad days. Both have benefits and trade offs.

The best part of percentage training is that it ultimately builds a lifter that understands his limitations by a measurable amount.

RPE training allows for good days and bad, but there has to be something said about the Bulgarians that go to max percentages every day...some times multiple times per day--very successfully. This in itself demonstrates that lifting maximally is not in psychological preparedness and capability, but in physical capacity in highly trained athletes.

Percentage training produces light-switch lifters that turn it on and off because they train to live and die by a chart--demonstrative maximum strength on demand. I've never done RPE training, so I can't speak to its efficacy, but it seems to favor a lifter's mental variability. That may be good for newer lifters on the whole.

Now, I know I am going to get destroyed for this, but here goes: the whole world is full of lifters that don't want to walk into a rack and single a max by percentage of some high water mark. It's mentally tough to attempt to max every week. But that's kind of the idea.

I've said myself that I believe the future of PLing is in RPE. But truthfully that is because competitive lifting has gotten popular and more people are doing it. % training could never hope to be as popular as RPE training. It's too damn taxing. So anything that gets a lifter to follow a program is great. All the better that RPE training is a solid program.

That said, I've been injured....a lot. Take my advice at your own risk. Nothing about singles at or above 100 is safe.

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
The best part of percentage training is that it ultimately builds a lifter that understands his limitations by a measurable amount.

RPE training allows for good days and bad, but there has to be something said about the Bulgarians that go to max percentages every day...some times multiple times per day--very successfully. This in itself demonstrates that lifting maximally is not in psychological preparedness and capability, but in physical capacity in highly trained athletes.

Percentage training produces light-switch lifters that turn it on and off because they train to live and die by a chart--demonstrative maximum strength on demand. I've never done RPE training, so I can't speak to its efficacy, but it seems to favor a lifter's mental variability. That may be good for newer lifters on the whole.

Now, I know I am going to get destroyed for this, but here goes: the whole world is full of lifters that don't want to walk into a rack and single a max by percentage of some high water mark. It's mentally tough to attempt to max every week. But that's kind of the idea.

I've said myself that I believe the future of PLing is in RPE. But truthfully that is because competitive lifting has gotten popular and more people are doing it. % training could never hope to be as popular as RPE training. It's too damn taxing. So anything that gets a lifter to follow a program is great. All the better that RPE training is a solid program.

That said, I've been injured....a lot. Take my advice at your own risk. Nothing about singles at or above 100 is safe.

RPE can be translated into percent training anyway.

If you're against % training you're against Prilepin and if you're against Prilepin then Joliver will ride his 3 wheel lawn mower with canopy attachment to your house and e-kick your ass using your own damned wifi

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
RPE can be translated into percent training anyway.

If you're against % training you're against Prilepin and if you're against Prilepin then Joliver will ride his 3 wheel lawn mower with canopy attachment to your house and e-kick your ass using your own damned wifi

keeya.jpg

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
What's so wrong with just lifting heavy shit up and putting it down? Words of Bigworm.

Not a god damn thing, sir. I've been quoting worm lately, myself.

Miss that dude.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
I guess it's just hard for me to comprehend someone training rpe and being a bitch about it. That's the only way I see % training having an advantage.
OR
You can train rpe and not allow being a ****ing pussy because your boss yelled at you and let that stop you from giving it your all.
You think I'm not trying to hit a pr every ****ing session? @9 is at ****ing 9. It's one more left in the tank when I'm giving it 100%. Not one more left based on how hard I feel like going.

SuperBane

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

THAT SAID:

I guess I understand that point but
What do you make of this.

Anytime I felt like shit and missed a lift on a particular "day" I repeated the whole "week".
That's how I accounted for what you speak of when I ran the cube.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I guess it's just hard for me to comprehend someone training rpe and being a bitch about it. That's the only way I see % training having an advantage.
OR
You can train rpe and not allow being a ****ing pussy because your boss yelled at you and let that stop you from giving it your all.
You think I'm not trying to hit a pr every ****ing session? @9 is at ****ing 9. It's one more left in the tank when I'm giving it 100%. Not one more left based on how hard I feel like going.

"Tool...remember, keep the wrists angled down with the @9 RPE double bicep pose. The judges are sitting below the stage."

--Snake

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
I guess I understand that point but
What do you make of this.

Anytime I felt like shit and missed a lift on a particular "day" I repeated the whole "week".
That's how I accounted for what you speak of when I ran the cube.
IMO the fact that you weren't using it to peak for a deadline buys you a lot of leeway as far as missed-lift days go.
My only focus in that scenereo would be the days you undershot your ability.

New Threads