Frenchie's log

Frenchie

Reaction score
Reading tomorrow's routine and I was wondering : do you lift heavier on the floor press ? I was thinking yes because it should be partial range of motion (unless you have a really big chest) but on the other hand it's a lot of arm work ...
I will have to train at the firm I think; I have sets of squat to do but there is no squat rack, only a 2D smith machine (moves horizontally too) ... I'll have to do with that...

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Reading tomorrow's routine and I was wondering : do you lift heavier on the floor press ? I was thinking yes because it should be partial range of motion (unless you have a really big chest) but on the other hand it's a lot of arm work ...
I will have to train at the firm I think; I have sets of squat to do but there is no squat rack, only a 2D smith machine (moves horizontally too) ... I'll have to do with that...

Not necessarily. I certainly dont. Your legs should be straight out in front of you. No leg drive. It's all arms.

Frenchie

Reaction score
I am not sure I understand how the legs can make a difference but okay, I'll do that !
Looking forward to tonight's training.
If anyone is interested. Here is what my schedule looks like :
Capture.jpg
M stands for meal (forgot M5 on Wednesday)
if you want to create your own, i can send you the excel file.

Last edited:

Frenchie

Reaction score
Yesterday was not so good as Monday, I was very tired.

5x5 Bench press @8 until @9
I did it at 105kg for the three first sets, and 100kg for the two last sets.

1x3 5 count paused squat @9
-10% weights and 4x3 from @8 to @9

I did all my sets at 80kg. I am not used to do squats so I don't lift heavy. I will surely be able to put more once I get the movement right.
my only question is : where am I supposed to pause ? At the very bottom or mid-way ? I went ass to grass and paused when my ass was at the lowest...

1x7 Floor press @9
4x5 From @7 to @9

My arms were fine but my chest was destroyed from the first exercise. I don't remember exactly but I think I could only put 80kg on the bar. I tried loading 100 on the first set, it was too much. Maybe I should have done floor press as the first exercice because I felt I could lift a lot but my chest was torn.

Next training is on saturday :)

Last edited:

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yesterday was not so good as Monday, I was very tired.

5x5 Bench press @8 until @9
I did it at 105kg for the three first sets, and 100kg for the two last sets.

1x3 5 count paused squat @9
-10% weights and 4x3 from @8 to @9

I did all my sets at 80kg. I am not used to do squats so I don't lift heavy. I will surely be able to put more once I get the movement right.
my only question is : where am I supposed to pause ? At the very bottom or mid-way ? I went ass to grass and paused when my ass was at the lowest...

1x7 Floor press @9
5x7 From @7 to @9

My arms were fine but my chest was destroyed from the first exercise. I don't remember exactly but I think I could only put 80kg on the bar. I tried loading 100 on the first set, it was too much. Maybe I should have done floor press as the first exercice because I felt I could lift a lot but my chest was torn.

Next training is on saturday :)

On your 5x5 bench don't drop the weight to finish your sets. If set 3 is @9 you stop there.

Paused squats - yes you pause at the bottom. Your 1x3 wasn't heavy enough. You should not have been able to do 5 sets of 3. The 1x3 lifts are VERY HEAVY.

Floor press- don't change the order of the exercises. You hav3 n3ver done a floor press so you shouldn't have any idea what weight you should be using. The weight you should use is determined by your energy level at the time you lift. It cant always be predicted. Also it should have been 1x7 then a rep drop where you do sets of 5 reps.

StoliFTW

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Great log. Keep it going. POB knows his shit.

Runningwild

Elite
Reaction score
Keep up the good work man the gains I have gotten from pillars program are amazing. He definitely knows his stuff just make sure you do exactly as he says.

Frenchie

Reaction score
IMG_0484.jpg
Feel like my legs are going to explode.
(The more pictures I post, the less cloth I have ... ^^)
I will make my report tonight with video of my squat so you can correct.

Last edited:

Frenchie

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Day 3 :
Competition Squat 1*3 @9 : 100kg
Fatigue Drop 10% - 4*3 @8 to @9 : 90kg
I am getting the movement better, I should be able to put more. I just have the problem that I tend to lean forward when i go back up and I lose my balance.
Here is a video of one of the four sets : https://instagram.com/p/BLUnu76A0g-/

Sumo Block Pull 3*1 @9 to @10 : 160-170kg (I don't remember how many lbs)
Here is a video of one of the first sets : https://instagram.com/p/BLUnn3xglZV/
It looks easy but just before I failed at the same weight (bad start) ... Am i leaning to much backwards when I finish pulling ?
I don't have blocks so I put it on the hooks and it was the same height as blocks more or less.

Bulgarian Split Squat 5*7 @7 to @9
That was completely new to me, I just used the bar ... way enough at the end of the workout... I might put some weight next time ... ^^"
Maybe I would be more stable with dumbbells ...

Day 4 :
I don't remember the weights used that day on machines.
Lat pulldowns 5*10 @8
Triceps pulldowns with the bar (not the rope) 5*10 @8
Leg curls 5*10 @8 : I just know it was the max of the machine and it was perfect @8
Straight bar biceps curls 3*10 @8 : 45kg
Adductor and abductor machines 3*20 @7 : Completely new to me, a bit akward to do but I felt like it increased the mobility in my hips.

With regard to feelings, I feel great ! Well my muscles are sore, especially the legs after day 3 but I really like how this is going.
Doing a bit of classic bodybuilding stuff on day 4 gave me a great pump, always good for the mood !
This week I will focus on planning my nutrition to get everything square :)

I hope I keep you interested, don't hesitate with questions or advice.

Last edited:

Frenchie

Reaction score
As you know, I have trouble sleeping these last months and my training could be better.
So I went ahead and got a doctor to do all the blood tests. It appears my test levels are really low and he told me to come back in a week to do more hormon tests (LH, etc.) and he will send me to an endocrinologist if nothing has changed.
FullSizeRender.jpg

I know it does look like I am shutdown but I swear I have never ever taken any kind of PED.

Frenchie

Reaction score
Any opinion or experience on this would be highly appreciated. :)

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Your test is low but in range. They will likely prescribe clomiphene to try and bring that up. This comes with some side effects. You will feel emotional and want to watch sad movies and cry.

About your squats - if you feel like you are falling forward you can try using a lower bar position on your back. You can do extra upper back work like barbell rows on your day 4. Add 5 sets of 7 reps. Also focus on pushing your elbows forward as you come up.

Split squats are easier to balance with dumbbells. Go ahead

Frenchie

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice regarding the squat.

Well I hope they will take a serious solution because I have been feeling like shit for a long time. I used to train harder than this, work all day and still go out. Now I just drag myself to the gym to work out...
I am low but in range true but in the low 5% of the population of my age apparently ! I am only 24 ...
I hope they will find something that brings me back to a young man's life.

Frenchie

Reaction score
WEEK 2

Day 1 :

I went down in weights compared to last week to make sure I was doing the @x properly.

• Competition deadlift : 5 x 5 @8 to @9 : 160 kg (not sure but around that)
    The two last sets I had to reposition my grip during the set but still better than last week. I tried the hook grip with no success, I'll watch a few videos of it. Anyhow, for now it's going to be over/underhand grip until my grip is strong.
  • Double-paused bench press : 5x5 @8 to @9 : 90 kg
  • Deadlift to the knee : 1x5 @9 : 160kg
    2 x 5 @8 to @9 : 140kg (I had to do between 2 and 4 sets but I used every last drop of energy and almost slept in driving back home).

I was not in the mood to train, kept yawning all the time but still managed to do a good workout.
Next training on Thursday :)

Last edited:

Frenchie

Reaction score
Two basic questions :

Should I use a belt on deadlift ? if yes, do you recommend a brand/model ?
Does it matter if I never switch which hand is over and which is underhand grip ? Am I going to develop some kind of mucular imbalance if I never switch ?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Two basic questions :

Should I use a belt on deadlift ? if yes, do you recommend a brand/model ?
Does it matter if I never switch which hand is over and which is underhand grip ? Am I going to develop some kind of mucular imbalance if I never switch ?

Sure use a belt. Inzer forever lever 10mm is a good one.

Yeah you could get a little imbalanced. I think hook grip is a good idea for you. Keep practicing that

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
In all honesty:

Hook grip is not as bad as it sounds. Yes it hurts. But when you're on the platform, nothing else matters. You don't even feel it.
I switched to it due to bicep issues.

How I train: Double overhand until I literally cannot hold the bar any more. From there, I will use hook for singles, doubles, and sometimes triples. 5 rep sets of I'm beyond my grip limit, I use straps.

And before anyone wants to talk shit on straps, you're more than welcome to challenge me to a grip contest.

Frenchie

Reaction score
Well I tried hook and it was hurting everywhere ! Thumb, wrist, hand, ...
I moved from straps to over/underhand grip which is already a big change for me, I will start with that for now. I already feel like my grip is strengthening :)
Thanks for the belt advice, I'll look into it. My trainer at the gym when I started lifting told me that I shouldn't be using one, not using one would help strengthen my lower back ...
I should use it for deadlifts only ? Or squats too ?

Last edited:

New Threads