quick question, howmuch time off doyou take before a meet

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
it seems the standard to take the week prior off. i hit my opener and 2nd lift the Saturday before, if the meet is on Saturday. but i know guys who start dropping total volume of work up too 3 weeks earlier, seems like you would start losing strength easing off that far out

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Just because you're dropping volume doesn't mean you're dropping intensity. I start backing off 3 weeks out when I set my openers. 2 weeks out 2nd attempts. 1 week out several singles at opener weight.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
it seems the standard to take the week prior off. i hit my opener and 2nd lift the Saturday before, if the meet is on Saturday. but i know guys who start dropping total volume of work up too 3 weeks earlier, seems like you would start losing strength easing off that far out

Also, I forgot you compete bench only. The taper is probably a lot different for bench only guys because your entire soul is not getting crushed peaking for a full power meet.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I hit it hard until the week before when I hit my second attempts for a single. The week of is rest: do nothing; no yard work, not home projects... nothing. This will also be the longest week you've had in a long time.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Also, I forgot you compete bench only. The taper is probably a lot different for bench only guys because your entire soul is not getting crushed peaking for a full power meet.
Valid point. I would think he wouldn't need near as much of a deload since his cns isn't getting assfukked from every direction.

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Valid point. I would think he wouldn't need near as much of a deload since his cns isn't getting assfukked from every direction.
the other thing is i am old as hell and my recoop is a touch slower

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I do this. and I do some real light groove work Monday, Tues and Wed of meet week.
i start doing groove about 3 weeks out after i train, try to visualize the weight on the bar, and do my set up just like a meet, going as far as having someone give commands (i have had a problem in the past with getting over excited and jumping commands)

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If I were to do a bench only it would probably look something like this (working backwards from meet day)

Meet day
Week of meet deload Tuesday thru Saturday
Week of meet Monday 80% of opener single
1 out set opener with a double (2rm)
2 out deload volume and intensity so maybe 60% for 8 doubles
3 out over reach week
4 out and beyond accumulate volume

A bit over simplified but maybe you see what's happening.

New Threads