Getting started in PL

Runningwild

Elite
Reaction score
Hey guys so I am a total noob when it comes to powerlifting and meets. First what are some of the Feds that doesn't test. I have no idea where to even start to look to find local meets to compete in? Second what are the weight classes? Third my current weight is 224, what kind of totals would be competitive at this weight in a small local meet. I know either way it's good to just go and start getting the experience I am more just curious. I am thinking about doing my first meet next year depending on what and when something is in my area.

Thanks guys

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Don't think about doing your first meet just do it. Doesn't matter about your lifts. Get the experience of being in one under your belt. Me and a lot of others compete in the RPS. powerlifting watch has lists of meets all over the country.

U could cut a few pounds and be in the 220 class or bulk up in the 242.

Runningwild

Elite
Reaction score
Yea you are right I will be doing a meet. I'll check out rps and powerlifting watch and see what is coming up next in my area

Thanks for giving me a direction to look in order the start

Runningwild

Elite
Reaction score
So doesn't look like RPS has any meets in my area but I do see meets for USPA. Does anyone have any experience with that fed?

ron1204

Elite
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting into PL too. Sub'ed for hopefully more info

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
So doesn't look like RPS has any meets in my area but I do see meets for USPA. Does anyone have any experience with that fed?
Tested fed. If you've ever taken AAS, stay out of it.

ron1204

Elite
Reaction score
How are they able to test if you took gear a long time ago and your completely off with normal test levels though ?

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
How are they able to test if you took gear a long time ago and your completely off with normal test levels though ?
They can't. But if you've used and enter a drug free meet then you're a douche. Like dudes doing a huge blast, coming off, then saying their lifts are drug free.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Most of the tested Feds are a joke anyway. I know dozens of natty lifters who still prefer untested meets.

Reaction score
Don't think about doing your first meet just do it. Doesn't matter about your lifts. Get the experience of being in one under your belt. Me and a lot of others compete in the RPS. powerlifting watch has lists of meets all over the country.

U could cut a few pounds and be in the 220 class or bulk up in the 242.

Listen to ecks. I got the pleasure to meet Ecks at my first PL meet last weekend it was brief the dudes a fcking beast and he was in the zone 505 lb bench..definitely a cool experienceand new to me (I was spectating)...I wouldn't worry about your weights or competition 1st meet, there seemed to be a lot of newbies and also a lot of experienced PL's at this meet so it varies.. technique seemed to be the most important component, a lot of guys weren't getting good lifts because there technique was off (i.e. butts were up on bench etc..) as a newbie myself this is where I'd focus my work on and obviously lifting heavier..

Last edited:

Runningwild

Elite
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll keep an eye on the schedules and let you know the next one that is coming my way and register for it

saltylifter

Elite
Reaction score
They can't. But if you've used and enter a drug free meet then you're a douche. Like dudes doing a huge blast, coming off, then saying their lifts are drug free.

I know lots of guys who do this and it's fukking bull shit cause they walk around the gym and posting I'm natural shit all the time. If u use don't compete in a natural meet unless you haven't used in ten years.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I know lots of guys who do this and it's fukking bull shit cause they walk around the gym and posting I'm natural shit all the time. If u use don't compete in a natural meet unless you haven't used in ten years.
They're douche bags.

New Threads