How much to bulk?

Reaction score
Hey,

(i m 19)
Title says it all ...
My stats:

Height - 6 foot
Weight - 180 lbs

I had a goal to bulk to 220 lbs but realized i will only gain a lot of fat in short process so i decided to go to 200 lbs.Is that a good goal?After that i meant to start cutting to 180-185 lbs ...
My biggest concern is my lower belly fat and well cutting(in time),i wouldnt like to lose my muscles just to get a 4 or 6 pack.
So,should i lean bulk for more gainz?

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
I had a goal to bulk to 220 lbs but realized i will only gain a lot of fat in short process so i decided to go to 200 lbs.Is that a good goal?

Only you can answer that. Base your decision on how you look, not some arbitrary number on the scale. As you shift your body composition more towards muscle and away from fat mass, 200lbs is going to look different at lower and lower bodyfat%'s.

In this game, slow and steads wins out if you're looking to minimize fat gain.

Track your macros and keep the gains slow and consistent.

Reaction score
Kind of this... if you keep bulking and cutting like that in the long run you will grow more slowly as some muscle is lost each time you cut. Just slowly gain weight over the course of years imo.

I wanted to get ripped(well actually just to lose lower belly fat)BUT doing that now would be terrible(because of the weight),so i thought to pack on few pounds before i start.
Also,my goal is to compete at classic bb one day.Are you sure i should "never" stop bulking?

ron1204

Elite
Reaction score
Well if your going to compete your obviously going to have to cut. Even with the leanest of bulks your not going to be cutting fat. You will just look leaner since for example 10% on 200lbs will "look" leaner than 10% on 180 lbs. I think when he wrote that he meant more of a lifestyle type of thinking. Like for the long run .

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
I wanted to get ripped(well actually just to lose lower belly fat)BUT doing that now would be terrible(because of the weight),so i thought to pack on few pounds before i start.
Also,my goal is to compete at classic bb one day.Are you sure i should "never" stop bulking?

If your ultimate goal is to compete in classic, you are going to need to put some serious weight on... At your height, guys who are contenders in that catagory are weighing in at 230-240 lbs at 5ish% bf...
Dont be affraid of gaining a little body fat... Plain snd simple, if you want to put size on, theres no way around it... If you want to remain "ripped" you will not reach your goal. Also, dont be affraid of carbs... I once was, now I eat as many as possible.... And guess what, my body is getting more compliments than it ever did when I was 170-180 (when I wanted the "ripped" look)... Just figure your macros out for a "bulk" which might be like 15-20% more calories over maintenance... I personally like 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fats... I started out at around your size and shot for 3500+ calories per day. You will find after a few weeks that your body looks and responds a lot better to a diet like this...

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
The brothers above pretty much covered it. I've never really exclusively bulked or cut, more like one long continous process of doing both simultaneously. If I feel or look too fat for my liking I just reduce carbs and/or increase the cardio till I get where I want. Only step on the scale once every few months.

Rage Strength

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't base it solely on the scale, especially if you're concerned about fat gain. I'd increase your cals slowly week by week starting with 300. Then maybe 500 above maintenance if you're gaining too slow at 300(depends on individual metabolism). The scale really isn't the best marker for progress because you could've gained water, lost water, had more food in your stomach, etc. Focus on heavy compound lifts and low intensity cardio. That and a dialed in diet is a recipe for success! Good luck!

New Threads