Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Thanks
    Good info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    I need a competent spotter who is willing to take feedback.

Different people want different things out of their spotters depending on what they're doing while training but so many people assume they already know everything.
    Communication is key:
    Do you want to go to failure before I jump in?
    Do you need me to keep momentum up and let you rep it out?
    Will you call it out or do you want me to wait until you stall?
    Do you want to grind out that last rep or take it to the rack asap?

When the set is over, its your responsibility to ask how you did as a spotter. It helps both of you get better.

Stuff like that is important especially if you're spotting someone new.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,901 Times in 1,749 Posts
    I have never had a training partner...can't stand it, if I need a spotter I just ask......
    DO FUUCKING WORK! STRENGTH FIRST BOSTON!

"Sticks and stones, they may break these bones...But then I'll be ready, are you ready?
    It's the start of us, waking up come on...Are you ready? I'll be ready
    I don't want control, I want to let go....Are you ready? I'll be ready
    'Cause now it's time to let them know....We are ready, what about us?"

Thanks
    Everyone I get someone to train with me they give up after a couple months. And I'm always the one who's pushing, have a hard time finding someone to push me. So I push myself.

Thanks
    Hard to find someone as dedicated and as aggressive as I want to be. I worked out for years alone. I like it that way. Now I work out with a couple that wont push themselves. One loves to whine and complain on why he isn't bigger, but he eats like shit.

Thanks
    Never had a training parter for more than a day

Thanks
    have sex with your training partner hooooa gggggcome on!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 634 Posts
    Ive lifted alone 99% of the time ive been in the gym or my basement since a teen. Like the same plight we all face
    1. Trying to merge schedules is tough, especially in a typical young family where your/they’re going 5 directions at once
    2. Op sounds like he wants a trainer, not a partner. Or hes been the inexperienced/experienced one getting/giving help on form and what not. The times i do lift with a bud, currently got 2 guys i meet at a new to me gym- we do our thing and lend a hand/spot if/when needed. Other than thats its 3 of us doing our own thing or we make a circuit and the other guys work time is my rest time

having been solo for so many years, i dont find a buddy pushing me harder, i find having more toys at an actual gym allows me to push myself further. At the end if the day, single/paired/trioed i could care less, i do me in the gym. I offer advice to buddies to clean up their form or how better to maximize what they’re working on; but most of the time we do bs about work/family/kids, etc..so its our break from life, a commradery time of like minded men spending a few hours together moving weight vs standing in the shop bsing over a beer

ps. I work with a guy whos a gym rat, tries to go 6/7 days a week, trains like a cross fitter. But he coaches wrestling so has that “try to kill myself with too much work” mentality- which is good aggression wise, but his program stinks and he wonder why his gainz are slower than everybody else. Ive tried for yrs to tell him rest days and smart programming are just as important as the work ethic . Time off is a good thing, but he hurts himself, pushes thru handicapped and extends lower work/less gains because of injury that could be stopped/fixed if hed take time off. But mainly we didnt work out as a team due to shaddy schedule he kept “i couldnt get outta bed/had a late night, so often it was me alone anyhow.
    Last edited by IHI; 01-13-2018 at 07:04 AM.

Thanks
    i like lifting alone and just calling over a spotter if needed. although, i worked out with this hot girl for the first time, and on that day i hit a pr deadlift

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12