Keto + ECY

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I was hoping to get some input. I am but a humble natty young guy trying to dial this shit in and try to achieve my goal. The internet is full of tons of BS and I know I am among people wiser than I am.

I've been bulking for a while after a bad cut (shitty diet) and I am trying this again. My current plan is to (leading up to the cut) slowly lower my carbs to the point of keto (I have keto stix) and run ECY. Pretty simple. I'm 5'10" 225lbs and around ~22% BF? (Extra skin, used to be 400, my weight distributes weird, I am NOT below 20%).

A. Over the course of 1 week, slowly lower my carbs to keto (<50g/day? carbs before workout)
B. Begin ECY (I read a sticky talking about a 24 week "cycle" of ECY, this seems long. Thoughts? I was going to run until it just seemed right)
C. After ECY cycle, slowly introduce carbs and begin a new bulk.

Does my plan sound OK? Suggestions/comments?

Now, concerning diet. As I stated above I was going to keep my carbs before my workout and keep them low. Concerning the other macros and daily cals I have a question.

I was going to start with 2800cal/day (6 meals?) and slowly drop them over time (this is where I need some advice). Based on what I understand starting a little less than my current TDEE and slowly dropping over time (say 2600, then 2400, ect) while running ECY would be best. If this is in fact true and a good idea, over how long should I do this?

First 30 days 2800
Next 30 days 2600
Next 30 days 2400

Oh and my last question was concerning training. I will obliviously have to start doing more cardio. I was thinking;

20 min cardio
Lift (6 days a week) (not as long as I did during bulk)
15-20min post
and HIIT on non lifting days

Does this sound like a good plans sirs? I believe I included everything. I'm only 23, still really new to all this.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Here is my advice on the keto diet.

1) I wouldn't recommend easing into it. Your body isn't going to start producing ketones until you're carbs are at a minimum. Slowly decreasing your carbs only prolongs the agony. Until you hit ketosis, your body is going to be looking for carbs. Prolonging your adjustment is going to prolong your "keto flu" and you'll feel like dog sh(&t.

2) A true ketosis diet is 80% fat. That leaves 20% for carbs and protein. Factor that in to your 2,800 calorie diet and you're eating about 140 grams of protein a day (assuming you don't eat any carbs). Does that fit into your goals?

3)Learn to tolerate a boat load of MCT oil, but build up to it or you'll be sorry.

Reaction score
Here is my advice on the keto diet.

1) I wouldn't recommend easing into it. Your body isn't going to start producing ketones until you're carbs are at a minimum. Slowly decreasing your carbs only prolongs the agony. Until you hit ketosis, your body is going to be looking for carbs. Prolonging your adjustment is going to prolong your "keto flu" and you'll feel like dog sh(&t.

2) A true ketosis diet is 80% fat. That leaves 20% for carbs and protein. Factor that in to your 2,800 calorie diet and you're eating about 140 grams of protein a day (assuming you don't eat any carbs). Does that fit into your goals?

3)Learn to tolerate a boat load of MCT oil, but build up to it or you'll be sorry.

1. Makes sense. I was kind of flipping a coin on this one.
2. So if I understand this correctly, I'm looking at a much higher daily calorie intake? 200g has to be my minimum, from what I understand
3. TBH, I'm pretty unfamiliar with MCT. Research time.
Appreciate the reply sir.

Reaction score
I guess I also did not clarify - my goal is fat loss, not a specific %, I'm simply trying to eliminate my love handles.

New Threads