Best PL Programs For Bench?

M1seryD1str1ct

Reaction score
In between programs right now

Just finished a great run of 8x3 twice a week for about 3 months but programming has stopped working it's magic. Time for new stimulus.

What are some good powerlifting programs out there (tested and true) that are specifically capable of yielding good bench gains?

Thinking of Texas, Sheiko, Smolov, etc.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Some favor the bench press more than others, each has pros and cons.

Alan Thrall did a great series a month or so ago in which he discusses the most common PL programs (he only speaks to those he's run himself)

Part 1: Starting Strength/StrongLifts, Texas Method, 5/3/1

Part 2: The Juggernaut Method, SuperSquats

Part 3: The Cube Method, Olympic Weightlifting Program

StoliFTW

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nble suggested great PL programs.

I would add Smolov Bench Routine, and of course Sheiko.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What is it about the bench press that makes me feel vulnerable when performing this movement? I can load up the bar with plates in the squat rack and I'm excited and ready to get under the bar. Same with deadlifts, not at all intimidated to try and pull the floor up, but when benching, I get nervous thinking I'm gonna fuking tear something or just Fuk the lift up.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
What is it about the bench press that makes me feel vulnerable when performing this movement? I can load up the bar with plates in the squat rack and I'm excited and ready to get under the bar. Same with deadlifts, not at all intimidated to try and pull the floor up, but when benching, I get nervous thinking I'm gonna fuking tear something or just Fuk the lift up.

Are you a tall guy Seek? I have a 78" reach and feel the same way you do...

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score

U need to make love to the bench press. Take your time. Talk to her. Compliment her. Caress her. Then ****ing destroy that whore!!!!!!

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
U need to make love to the bench press. Take your time. Talk to her. Compliment her. Caress her. Then ****ing destroy that whore!!!!!!

Lol dude, haha damn.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Have u been injured before from benching seek?

Reaction score

I'm with ya Seek. This is me to the tee. Something about those plates just intimidates me. I don't think it is an uncommon thing. I have other guys I train with that have the same issue.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
A good motivator for me to press the weight is the fact that I don't want my face crushed by a knurled steel bar.

Sapper

Reaction score
I do bench in the squat rack, set the safety pins right at chest height so the bar just touches. 5x5 worked well for me and setting the safety pins at my sticking points, then going heavier than my bench really helped it take off. That being said, i still suck at bench compared to squats and deadlifts. Squats scare me more than bench.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I do bench in the squat rack, set the safety pins right at chest height so the bar just touches. 5x5 worked well for me and setting the safety pins at my sticking points, then going heavier than my bench really helped it take off. That being said, i still suck at bench compared to squats and deadlifts. Squats scare me more than bench.
What you are referring is called a pin press. Yes, very effective, so are floor presses. Definitely helped me reach my max.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I personally think Bench needs more volume than squat and deadlift. Recovery is much faster. I would think 5/3/1 wouldn't have enough volume for any of the lifts but especially Bench. I would personally bench AT LEAST twice a week. Find your weak points and address with accessory work.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
I agree with milo about the volume. I've always benched twice a week, one of them being close grip. When I stop doing that my bench suffers.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

It's cause you are a fgt.

But seriously you are holding it over your face. If you have safety pins and or side spotters you can get crazy.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
. Find your weak points and address with accessory correcting technique.

Fixed it for ya. We made some minor tweaks and offered a couole cues for your bench. Then you just put in the work. We saw great progress after that.

A lot of guys who miss at lockout or halfway up or on the chest or wherever always think there is assistance that will fix it. Chances are it's your set up and bar path that need fixing.

New Threads