will this filter work for high volumes?

Reaction score
medical-and-lab-supplies.com/whatman-polycap-36-as-22um-filter-with-filling-bell.html

Whatman Polycap AS 36mm Capsule Filter, 0.2um, Nylon, Sterile

Reaction score
Warm to hot liquids will eat a nylon filter...Even if at room temp nylon is not something I would use

You never had any contamination with PES filters? I did some digging and many people recommend refiltering with nylon or ptfd. PES is supposed to be for auqaline solutions.

Reaction score
as far as I know, filter cartridge is usually for small volumns, filter bags are suggested for high volumns

Reaction score
Warm to hot liquids will eat a nylon filter...Even if at room temp nylon is not something I would use
If not nylon then what material filter do u recommend, and if not a Whatman pollycap, what kind of filter do u recommend for high volume? More than 5000ml at a time?

Reaction score
It will work but the filter will probably clog and you'll need to use a few of them. For big batches use a .45um you can the autofil 1000ml filter on amazon

Reaction score
If not nylon then what material filter do u recommend, and if not a Whatman pollycap, what kind of filter do u recommend for high volume? More than 5000ml at a time?

I have used the Whatman polycap 36 so many times I don't know how it wouldn't be the go to for filtering. However, I have used the bag if having to do super large batches. IMO though the polycap is a very nice filter. Never had problems clogging at say 30-40C and approx. 40-80 vial filtrates or 400-800ml. Occasionally I have ran something like Test E or C or P through at 1500ml and still had no problem. If there is a filter that is better for brew than this I would like to know that as well.

Reaction score
I have used the Whatman polycap 36 so many times I don't know how it wouldn't be the go to for filtering. However, I have used the bag if having to do super large batches. IMO though the polycap is a very nice filter. Never had problems clogging at say 30-40C and approx. 40-80 vial filtrates or 400-800ml. Occasionally I have ran something like Test E or C or P through at 1500ml and still had no problem. If there is a filter that is better for brew than this I would like to know that as well.
I don't know that there is one better if we're talking about capsule filters. However I would like to know what you mean when you say you have used the bag for large batches?

Personally I think the Watling poly chap 36 as nylon is the best. The only reason I asked which one was best for large batches was because if you look back someone commented and said sometimes nylon will deteriorate especially with hotter oils. Personally I never had any problem like that and usually keep it around 100 to 110°F when filtering. I see you said you got something life 1500ml of test through it with no problem. I'm assuming that's because you just didn't have anything else to filter because I can easily get 5000 and most times up to 7000 or 7500ml through one filter before it slows down or clogs. That is using MCT as a carrier oil but I have a buddy that uses GSO which obviously is thicker, and he is still able to get around 7,000ml or more through one filter.

Another good one that I like him but I will not say that it's actually better is hey pall Acropack 200. The reason I like them is because they come with 2 PVDF membranes. Unlike the whatman polycap that uses a glass pre-filter the pall Acropack uses a .8um PVDF membrane as a pre-filter then a .22um PVDF membrane as a final filter. I've never tried to see how much I could get through one filter and I've only used them a few times, but I was able to get 4000ml through 1 no problem.

I'm always willing to share the knowledge I have, and also always willing to learn if you don't mind telling me about the filter bag you talking about?

Also it's always good to see someone else that knows what they're talking about on here..

Reaction score
I don't know that there is one better if we're talking about capsule filters. However I would like to know what you mean when you say you have used the bag for large batches?

Personally I think the Watling poly chap 36 as nylon is the best. The only reason I asked which one was best for large batches was because if you look back someone commented and said sometimes nylon will deteriorate especially with hotter oils. Personally I never had any problem like that and usually keep it around 100 to 110°F when filtering. I see you said you got something life 1500ml of test through it with no problem. I'm assuming that's because you just didn't have anything else to filter because I can easily get 5000 and most times up to 7000 or 7500ml through one filter before it slows down or clogs. That is using MCT as a carrier oil but I have a buddy that uses GSO which obviously is thicker, and he is still able to get around 7,000ml or more through one filter.

Another good one that I like him but I will not say that it's actually better is hey pall Acropack 200. The reason I like them is because they come with 2 PVDF membranes. Unlike the whatman polycap that uses a glass pre-filter the pall Acropack uses a .8um PVDF membrane as a pre-filter then a .22um PVDF membrane as a final filter. I've never tried to see how much I could get through one filter and I've only used them a few times, but I was able to get 4000ml through 1 no problem.

I'm always willing to share the knowledge I have, and also always willing to learn if you don't mind telling me about the filter bag you talking about?

Also it's always good to see someone else that knows what they're talking about on here..

filter.jpg
Thanks for the words of encouragement broski!!! Yeah, posted above is a picture of the bag filters I spoke of. They normally come in lowest micron of 1 but you can get a special order of .45. Sterilization can be obtained through various means to include methanol rinse and sterile dry. Or more advanced autoclave.
You would want to be very inventive and create your own sterile vacuum housing. BASICALLY just like a polycap only your are making it yourself. Once you think of it like that the possibilities are endless. That is if you actually have the need to filter 20,000mls at once. But these filters are to be cleaned, sterilized and reused many many many times.
As to the 1500mls through the polycap I described... That is just simply all I needed to filter through it. I have not done 5000ml batches with polycap. Never had the need lol.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Also, 110F for filtering temp is good. I normally start filtering around 60C and it is 35-40C by the time I am finishing. So our temps are SORT of close. I do admit that when I let it come to 40 and hold it, the gear seems to be SMOOTHER with less risk of crashing or hazing. But instead of waiting and holding I got in the habit of starting at 60 and finishing at 38 or so. This way I don't have to control temp and all that. Just turn off the heating plate, allow stirring to continue on low and start the filtering.

New Threads