why are my rubbing stoppers falling apart?

Reaction score
wtf? after a few pins my rubber stoppers are falling apart.

i soaked them in alcohol for an hour. and left in tupperware to dry over night. im not sure what can be cause.

i did overfill the vials to 12 ml... im not sure if the BA started to eat through the rubber stopper?

T

TriniJuice

Probably some bootleg vials,
BA wouldn't do that....did you use any EO?

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Pardon me, I thought this was a message thread.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
2% BA won't eat the stopper. EO can but not usually when a minor amount in the vial. Is there EO and what % of the solution is it?

Reaction score
no EO.

i had soaked it in alcohol for a day. and used blow drier to dry it. maybe that messed with it?

the alcohol just wouldnt dry!!

like its not a hole in the stopper. im saying when i draw with the vial facing down with a 23 G the oil slowly comes out of it.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
no EO.

i had soaked it in alcohol for a day. and used blow drier to dry it. maybe that messed with it?

like its not a hole in the stopper. im saying when i draw with the vial facing down with a 23 G the oil slowly comes out of it.

Yeah you probably destroyed it with the alcohol soak and then the blow dryer.

Also keep in mind you contaminated the hell out of those stoppers with that blow dryer. I wouldn't pin that gear. Not at all worth the risk for me. That soak is totally unneeded.

Reaction score
Yeah you probably destroyed it with the alcohol soak and then the blow dryer.

Also keep in mind you contaminated the hell out of those stoppers with that blow dryer. I wouldn't pin that gear. Not at all worth the risk for me. That soak is totally unneeded.

appreciated bro... so what would be the best way to sterilize the stoppers. dip with tweezers in a bowl of BA for 5 seconds and straight onto vial? when i dip them in alcohol. the alcohol takes forever to dry. getting annoyed with it.

gonna toss the batch.

T

TriniJuice

appreciated bro... so what would be the best way to sterilize the stoppers. dip with tweezers in a bowl of BA for 5 seconds and straight onto vial? when i dip them in alcohol. the alcohol takes forever to dry. getting annoyed with it.

gonna toss the batch.

Get those small alcohol wipes from like CVS, walgreens etc.
You don't need to wait forever to let em dry, i take an alcohol patch, wipe the top, get my pin ready and draw
Literally a 10sec process....

Reaction score
You don't need to wait forever to let em dry, i take an alcohol patch, wipe the top, get my pin ready and draw

yea but the bottom part is awkward. if i dip it in alcohol. it wont dry in 10 seconds. and i dont want to put on my vial and risk alcohol get into my vials.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
no EO.

WTF, and this is why most people should not make gear.

Alcohol only needs seconds but why blow dry after you sterilize is my question but please don't answer I don't wanna get stupid from reading it.

Alcohol sterilizes on instant contact, doctors and nurses don't sterilize a body part a day prior to an injection.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score

Bad advice, swipes are not strong enough to sterilize stoppers.

He should be smart enough to prep vials and stoppers prior before use.

metsfan4life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
same as SFG said. why let them soak? I put mine in tubbaware of alcohol for about 30secs. dont leave them sitting out, yes the bottom is "weird" but itll evaporate with some good heat. same with the vials. unless you have a nice setup, 350F in the oven will knock that alcohol off

Reaction score
WTF, and this is why most people should not make gear.

Alcohol only needs seconds but why blow dry after you sterilize is my question but please don't answer I don't wanna get stupid from reading it.

Alcohol sterilizes on instant contact, doctors and nurses don't sterilize a body part a day prior to an injection.
i didnt think it would be an issue as i draw with air before i inject... right? i draw with air and inject into the vial.. unsterile air.. so i didnt think blow drying would cause harm.. but now that i think about it i may have been lucky.. and you make a good point lol.

and how long do u keep them in the oven for. at 350 degrees. im worried it may damage the stoppers...

T

TriniJuice

Bad advice, swipes are not strong enough to sterilize stoppers.

He should be smart enough to prep vials and stoppers prior before use.

Really?
We're talking about cleaning the top rubber part of a seal vial right?

I've been using those alcohol prep pads for the longest
Never any issues....

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Trinni, I dont believe SFG was referring to the top of the stopper, he is talking about the bottom or whats exposed on the inside of the vial....

All u need is a boil bath and some heat in the oven, no reason to make it complicated....But never use a blow dryer for anything other than hair.....

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Really?
We're talking about cleaning the top rubber part of a seal vial right?

I've been using those alcohol prep pads for the longest
Never any issues....

No we are talking about the whole stopper prior to filling and crimping the vial.

Cobra Strike

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I coat my stoppers in tren....shit kills everything!!!

New Threads