Chest Progress Vid Journal Log (Journey to 315 PR)

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
always do, i dont know why people still do the death grip version

I use a thumbless bench grip. Take about 50 pounds off my max if I wrap my thumbs. Buttttt after this next meet I'm gonna make the switch to wrapping the thumb. Not because I'm scared of the bar slipping but because it allows me to squeeze the bar even harder which is a plus

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I use a thumbless bench grip. Take about 50 pounds off my max if I wrap my thumbs. Buttttt after this next meet I'm gonna make the switch to wrapping the thumb. Not because I'm scared of the bar slipping but because it allows me to squeeze the bar even harder which is a plus

I feel i can push harder like that too but i dont feel as safe with heavy weight

Reaction score

50 lbs? Lol , it does feel like it gives you a slightly better push angle without thumbs tho, but I'd rather live lol

Anyways, such a failure, feel disappointed, never benching this year again!!! Gosh!! Let's see if anyone notices something haha

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Dude stop trying to hit the 315. Lol
Train hard with submaximal weights for the next month or so before u even consider trying it again.

CardinalJacked

Squat King
Reaction score
How long does it take you to set up all of your cameras per lift?

Reaction score
Dude stop trying to hit the 315. Lol
Train hard with submaximal weights for the next month or so before u even consider trying it again.
I had to try lol... Now I know I suck and will never lift again

How long does it take you to set up all of your cameras per lift?

Put my phone there, then there, edit together, time well wasted lol... I do what I went when I'm the only one at the gym

Reaction score
Hey, I've watched a number of the videos you posted here and was wondering if you know that the more you arch your back, which you do a fair bit of in your vids, the more stress and pressure is placed on your spine?

Not trying to be a dick here, just trying to figure out why a guy with back problems would be using this technique.

Reaction score
Hey, I've watched a number of the videos you posted here and was wondering if you know that the more you arch your back, which you do a fair bit of in your vids, the more stress and pressure is placed on your spine?

Not trying to be a dick here, just trying to figure out why a guy with back problems would be using this technique.

Hey Johny, I do it to plant my back shoulder blades better, it feels just fine, overall whatever i have been doing has improved my back problems a lot. I used to injure my back with 175 or 185 and be out for 1-2 months. But because i started back up again from 135 and slowly worked my way up in the last 6 months by adding 5-10 lbs 2-3 times a month it seemed to do the trick. The arching was never a problem, its the pressure down from like squats, incline, deadlifting, shrugs and even standing curls etc..

Reaction score
Been Trying sideway Press on a machine, i really like it, allows for more chest muscle activation for growth and stength

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
You can only flex your muscle so much. Those sideways presses aren't really doing much more than a fly or of u use that machine normally. It may feel like the contraction is better but like I said u can only contract the muscle so much.

Reaction score
Fair enough, mate. As long as you don't feel the pressure on your spine when benching.

Reaction score
You can only flex your muscle so much. Those sideways presses aren't really doing much more than a fly or of u use that machine normally. It may feel like the contraction is better but like I said u can only contract the muscle so much.

I suppose you are right, i hate doing flies tho lol

Reaction score
Changed up my chest day routine. Will be doing chest 2 times a week now, will be doing this routine for a month then attempting a bench max going for 315PR. Here is my current bench routine:

-12 sets
45lbs X 20 reps
95lbs X 15 reps
135lbs X 10 reps
185lbs X 8 reps
225lbs X 5 reps
250lbs X 3 reps
265lbs X 2 reps
275lbs X 1 reps
275lbs X 1 reps
250lbs X 2 reps
225lbs X 4 reps
225lbs X 6 reps

I wanted to do add 2 more sets of slingshot at the end with a heavier weight, but the squat cage was taken and u didn't want to do slingshot 315 and 295 without a cage.

mistah187

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
maybe something to try here. i am a big believer in at least 48 hours between large muscle groups. working your legs and the straight to chest and the back is very taxing on your body, both muscles and nervous system. i change my split up often but right now it is back, shoulders, chest, arms, legs. that way you you are training your large muscle groups every other day. this helped me a ton when i was trying to increase my deadlift.

Reaction score
maybe something to try here. i am a big believer in at least 48 hours between large muscle groups. working your legs and the straight to chest and the back is very taxing on your body, both muscles and nervous system. i change my split up often but right now it is back, shoulders, chest, arms, legs. that way you you are training your large muscle groups every other day. this helped me a ton when i was trying to increase my deadlift.

I thought it was 48 hours rest between same muscle group training for them to recover? I wouldnt think it effect other muscle groups that you did not work out, but i suppose it also makes sense, since a nervous system is well more connected into one than our muscles are. But regardless, at times i give my body 1-2 days extra rest at times, my work schedule is all out of wack so i do the best i can.

Reaction score
Changed up my chest day routine. Will be doing chest 2 times a week now, will be doing this routine for a month then attempting a bench max going for 315PR. Here is my current bench routine:

-12 sets
45lbs X 20 reps
95lbs X 15 reps
135lbs X 10 reps
185lbs X 8 reps
225lbs X 5 reps
250lbs X 3 reps
265lbs X 2 reps
275lbs X 1 reps
275lbs X 1 reps
250lbs X 2 reps
225lbs X 4 reps
225lbs X 6 reps

I wanted to do add 2 more sets of slingshot at the end with a heavier weight, but the squat cage was taken and u didn't want to do slingshot 315 and 295 without a cage.

New Threads