Chest Progress Vid Journal Log (Journey to 315 PR)

Reaction score
I have been off and on in the gym in the past 5-7 years, with injuries, night shifts and laziness it was hard to be on a regular schedule. My life time goal was to bench 315, which i have never accomplished, when i was 20 i achieved a 295 PR and that was that and thats when i was in college and weight lifting was one of my classes. Now being 35 i felt like my chances are low of hitting 315 ever, so the motivation was gone and i would just go to the gym when i felt like it. Being married with 2 small kids, working night shift and being on call as a truck driver, always having things to do at home, there was always and excuse to not to go the gym. To top things off i got a herniated lower back disc and every time i wanted to lift the weights that i know i could i would reinjure my lower back and would be out for a month or 2. Excuses after excuses. Well, right by my work there happened to be a gym that is open 24 hours and with my weird schedule i felt like it was perfect. So in June of 2016 it was time to change my mind set, and start all over again with all of my past gains gone. It was no longer about can i lift what i used to lift a few months ago?, its was more about cant i lift today and not reinjure my lower back again?

First thing first, was to test my Chest with lighter weight of 135lbs and see how many reps i can push out. This was i can see where im at and how im moving up.

An example of My Routine is:

Most are 3 or 4 sets 10-15 reps

Day 1: Legs (legs press, lunges, toe raisers, sometimes deadlifts)
Day 2: Chest (incline, bench press, inner pec machine or similar)
Day 3: Back (lats machine or cable, deadlifts, T-bar rows)
Day 4: Arms (scull crushers, tri cables, Curls machine, curls DBs)
Day 5: Shoulders (front raises, side raises, back rows, shrugs, Military P)

Sometimes i go to machines and sometimes to dumbbells, sometimes heavier weight or lighter weight, i try to change things up as i go. I listen to my body and sometimes skip a certain day and go to a routine that i feel more comfortable that day. I dont assign my days to days of the week, because if i skip a week day i try not to skip a workout day, so if monday is Day 1 legs and i dont go to the gym, i try to do day 1 on tuesday and then day 2 etc..

JUNE-8-2016

JUNE-20-2016

Reaction score
On chest LV-3 i felt good bumping up the weight to 155lbs for Incline and Bench

JULY-13-2016

JULY-18-2016

Reaction score
It was time for a bench test #3 i have decided to move up the test to 185lbs and see it how it feels and see how i progress with that weight.

SEP-15-2016

SEP-22-2016

Reaction score
SEP-24-2016

Bench Test #4 with 185lbs felt pretty good and i was able to push out a few more reps from previous test, 12 reps before and at 15 reps now.

SEP-26-2016

Reaction score
it was time to change things up a bit because i felt like i hit a wall with my current routine, si i decided to change it to slower negatives instead and see how it helps me

SEP-30-2016

I now felt more confident and decided to see how many times i can lift 225, back in the day my best was 10 reps, but this is not back in the day so i wasnt expecting to get much at all, but i was excited to see how 225 feels again and what i can do with it

OCT-22-2016

Reaction score
Decided to change a few things up and go on a smith machine. Since a spotter is not needed and you dont have to worry about balancing the weight it would help a bit more with strength building and would give me a little more confidence doing reps with 225 since its a fairly new weight for my body.

NOV-2-2016

Rested another week and decided to give 225 another test, i felt a bit stronger with it and was able to push 1 extra rep out, will stick with a smith machine for another 2-3 weeks and keep trying to push out more reps with the 225.

NOV-17-2016

Reaction score
Back on the smith machine at LV-9 i was able to do more reps, Incline 4x8 and Bench 3x8 with the 225, compared to LV-8 when i was doing 5 reps on incline and bench. So was things are going well and the progress continues

NOV-19-2016

Its been a while since i did 135 for max reps, 2 months ago did about 30 reps, so i figured ill try it again with 135 and got 35 reps this time, i might be able to reach 40 reps, but at this point it comes down to muscle endurance. Regardless, i think about half a year ago i could barely get to 20 reps lol

NOV-24-2016

Reaction score
Back on the smith machine, maybe one more week ill work on it and then go back to free weights and see how it helped me out. My goal Is to reach 10 reps with 225 on bench free weight not on smith machine before 2017!! maybe even bench 315 before 315?? but thats a long shot, but ill try to push it, wish me luck :)

NOV-30-2016

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't get it...

Your goal is 315. But your training is all max reps with very submax weights. That's not even a good way to build muscle nevermind get stronger.

Can you explain your plan a bit here?

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't get it...

Your goal is 315. But your training is all max reps with very submax weights. That's not even a good way to build muscle nevermind get stronger.

Ain't this the same guy u banned last week..looks just like him

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
THink he's the same who posted vidz of himself curling in the squat rack...

Reaction score
I don't get it...

I started out with 135 and with lower back problems I couldn't go to heavy without hurting my back again, so higher reps was my only option, now that I'm getting stronger I can do heavier weight but still like to stay in the 10-12 reps during sets, to not risk an injury. Yes I should go to heavier weight to build more muscle and strength but trying to stay on a safe side.

CardinalJacked

Squat King
Reaction score
Lol bunch of whining babies here seriously... I'm one of them, my wrist get a sharp pain, so I need gloves with wrist wraps, I don't get why everyone is crying about this, lets everyone chill lol

So why don't you just buy wrist wraps, without the glove on them.

ron1204

Elite
Reaction score
Lol bunch of whining babies here seriously... I'm one of them, my wrist get a sharp pain, so I need gloves with wrist wraps, I don't get why everyone is crying about this, lets everyone chill lol

some good quality wrist wraps will be way better than the gloves with the crappy wraps on them. No comparison.
Plus feeling the weight on your hands and working on grip strength instead of getting so much help with gloves is way better. If you cant work out without gloves now because your hands hurt or you get callouses, if you get stronger, your never gonna want to take them off.
take them off now that your still at beginner weight.

New Threads