alleviate their arthritis

Patriot1405

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Wondering what members here do to alleviate their arthritis? I have been diagnosed with osteo not rumitoid arthritis.
It centers mainly on my knuckles and the first joint down my fingers. Can be excruciating at times. I'm in construction, so constantly using my hands. I'm 52 years old, so still a ways off till I retire. My mothers hands are so arthritic that all of her fingers are bent to the side. So I know bad things are coming, lol. Just wondering if anyone has found some form of relief.

RustyShackelford

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was diagnosed earlier this year with the same thing in my hands. My dr prescribed Celebrex. As long as I take it everyday it's tolerable.

IHI

Elite
Reaction score
Ive done jobs for people diagnoised with bad arthritis to help them in their homes because they were still bad, simple things were difficult, and was a "hired gun" for a race car when the wife got rheumatoid so bad she found it painful to get into the car since you have to contort around the rollcage bars in a drag car.

Honestly with all the stories folks shared, i dont believe its a "this will fix it" issue, most all had run the gammet trying different drugs to help alleviate symptoms. A few got onto new experimental drugs, shots, that worked better than various pills theyd tried to date. Didnt make symptoms go away, but when they found what worked for them, it made daily life tolerable and almost normal again.

Ive seen the crippeling effect of it and wish you the best being forced down this road, but dont give up and keep in contact with doc if you have bad sides or its just not working good.

Assassin32

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I feel for ya, Patriot. Arthritis can be miserable. I have arthritis in my hands and elbow and osteoarthritis in my right knee. My main source of pain relief is weed. It helps me sleep through the night with limited discomfort. I haven't found anything else that really helps. When I was still Ironworking, I had some horrible days where my hands would just throb and bother me all day. Especially days where I was pounding drift pins all day during assembly. I finally had to find a new line of work and it helped quite a bit. Along with the kind bud. Good luck my man, I feel your pain.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I feel for ya, Patriot. Arthritis can be miserable. I have arthritis in my hands and elbow and osteoarthritis in my right knee. My main source of pain relief is weed. It helps me sleep through the night with limited discomfort. I haven't found anything else that really helps. When I was still Ironworking, I had some horrible days where my hands would just throb and bother me all day. Especially days where I was pounding drift pins all day during assembly. I finally had to find a new line of work and it helped quite a bit. Along with the kind bud. Good luck my man, I feel your pain.

The job just absolutely beats the shit out of you. I try to blame all my nagging injuries on football, powerlifting, etc. 12 years as a connector did a lot more damage I'm sure. Thank god I stand on the ground and yell at ironworkers now because I don't want to be a borderline cripple at age 50 like most of the cowboys of the sky. I don't know a single ironworker over the age of 45 who doesn't have daily aches and pains or worse...

Patriot1405

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the responses. Gonna talk to the doc about Celebrex. Wish I could use weed, unfortunately we have random drug testing. Been with my company 31 years, so yeah, tons of aches and pains!! Only 10 more years to go!! Lol
Researching cryotherapy as well, might as well cover all bases.
Thanks again for everyone's input. Greatly appreciated.

GotClen

Elite
Reaction score
I know this is a older thread. I'm hit bad in both shoulders.
Degenerated bones full of arthritis. So I continue
To hunt for meds or something that helps.
my range of motion sucks bad.
anyone find the fix
gc

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
I was in constant pain in my hip for 2 years. Limped all the time.
Finally went to ortho and they took xrays.
He shows me I have no cartilage left, only arthritis, wanted me to schedule a hip replacement, lol.

I dealt with it for another 6 months or so and avoided exercising it. I decided to see what happened doing light squats and deadlifts.
After a few weeks I was walking normal and no pain. I guess strengthening the surrounding muscles is the key.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Im on the lookout as well. Nothing i have found really does too much, i have already tried weed too. Helps but is only a bandaid.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
i have some flair ups from time to time, mainly in my wrists, hands and knees. Worse on nights at work when its busy and i spend the entire 12 hours on my feet running around the hospital. Never been diagnosed but im pretty sure thats what it is. Im lucky and a few doses of ibuprofen seem to help a lot and by the next day its usually gone.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i have some flair ups from time to time, mainly in my wrists, hands and knees. Worse on nights at work when its busy and i spend the entire 12 hours on my feet running around the hospital. Never been diagnosed but im pretty sure thats what it is. Im lucky and a few doses of ibuprofen seem to help a lot and by the next day its usually gone.

your lucky it is not daliy pain and discomfort.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
your lucky it is not daliy pain and discomfort.

Yeah i know, it can be brutal for people that deal with it day in and day out. Ill take my occasional aches any day over that crap. Feel for you guys that have to deal with it.

New Threads