The effects of a cardio-induced deficit on appetite

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Full paper: Dual-process action of exercise on appetite control: increase in orexigenic drive but improvement in meal-induced satiety

BACKGROUND:
Exercise could contribute to weight loss by altering the sensitivity of the appetite regulatory system.

OBJECTIVE:
The aim of this study was to assess the effects of 12 wk of mandatory exercise on appetite control.

DESIGN:
58 overweight and obese men and women [mean (+/-SD) body mass index (in kg/m(2)) = 31.8 +/- 4.5, age = 39.6 +/- 9.8 y, and maximal oxygen intake = 29.1 +/- 5.7 mL . kg(-1) . min(-1)] completed 12 wk of supervised exercise in the laboratory.
The exercise sessions were designed to expend 2500 kcal/wk.
Subjective appetite sensations and the satiating efficiency of a fixed breakfast were compared at baseline (week 0) and at week 12.
An Electronic Appetite Rating System was used to measure subjective appetite sensations immediately before and after the fixed breakfast in the immediate postprandial period and across the whole day.
The satiety quotient of the breakfast was determined by calculating the change in appetite scores relative to the breakfast's energy content.

RESULTS:
Despite large variability, there was a significant reduction in mean body weight (3.2 +/- 3.6 kg), fat mass (3.2 +/- 2.2 kg), and waist circumference (5.0 +/- 3.2 cm) after 12 wk.
The analysis showed that a reduction in body weight and body composition was accompanied by an increase in fasting hunger and in average hunger across the day (P < 0.0001).
Paradoxically, the immediate and delayed satiety quotient of the breakfast also increased significantly (P < 0.05).

CONCLUSIONS:
These data show that the effect of exercise on appetite regulation involves at least 2 processes: an increase in the overall (orexigenic) drive to eat and a concomitant increase in the satiating efficiency of a fixed meal.

Methodology

Anything related to appetite regulation & preventing weight regain intrigues me greatly due to the fact that I primarily deal with clients who have to stay in great shape year round. Cardio, and increasing physical activity levels in general, have been shown numerous times in the literature to be a vital component to this and hence my interest in this paper.

The researchers did a pretty damn good job at controlling most of the variables here by having all the cardio sessions be performed in the lab, with a target of burning 2500cals per week, in order to prevent self-reporting errors that are far too common.
When I say cardio, I mean 70% max heart rate (MHR) with the duration/intensity recalculated every 4 weeks in order to take into account weight & VO2 max changes (both impact MHR).

Breakfast was also provided by the lab in order to get an accurate measurement for the satiety quotient (SQ), which reflects the capacity of the energy consumed to modulate postprandial sensations by looking at both immediate (satiation) and delayed (satiety) effects of a fixed meal.

As for the weak points, well, we don't have any resistance training and the subjects were all obese - both key variables that play a major role in appetite regulation ad therefore this study becomes pretty limited in its applicability.
I also would've liked to have seen a no-cardio group where the deficit of 2500cals per week was diet-induced instead. This would've given us more information on the impact of cardio specifically on the desire to eat, satiation, satiety, etc. I have my own opinions on this topic, based on data & experience, but I'll save them for another time.

Results & discussion

The researchers anticipated in advanced that there would be both responders and nonresponders to this cardio-only approach, which was indeed the case with 32 subjects classified as responders and 26 as nonresponders, and were smart enough to conduct a separate analysis taking this into account.

Body comp changes.jpg
- These body comp measurements were taken via bodpod and we can see the big gap between the responders & nonresponders particularly with regards to fat loss (15.3% vs 4.7%).

Changes in hunger.jpg
- As you can see, the hunger rating stayed about the same for the responders while significantly increasing week-by-week in the nonreponders.

Changes in hunger, desire to eat and fullness.jpg
- Data showing the fasting hunger, hunger through out the day, fullness, and desire to eat levels for the responders and nonresponders.
- Fasting hunger up 24% in responders & 38% in nonresponders, hunger across the day up 9.9 & 43.1%, desire to eat down 8.3% and up 6.4%, Fullness up 0.9% and down 9.8%.

The immediate & subsequent SQs for both the responsive & non-responsive groups can be found here but the gist of it was that the fixed breakfast had a stronger hunger suppressing effect as the weeks went by for both groups and there was no significant differences between the sexes when it came to appetite regulation.

So, cardio-induced weight loss leads to 1) An increase in fasted & daily hunger for nonresponders and 2) improved satiation & satiety independent of weight loss (for both responders & nonresponders), which confirms the acute anorexic effect of cardio. These are obviously pretty contradictory effects on appetite (feeling hungrier but also becoming fuller quicker) and the researchers describe this dual process as such:

"In essence, these are 2 different measures - one reflects the homeostatic energy state after a period of reduced body energy (exercise energy expenditure or food deprivation), and the other reflects the interaction between the physiologic system and the physiologic action of food on satiety signalling...The exercise regimen apparently raised the sensitivity of the physiologic signaling system, which allowed the same amount of food to realize a greater suppression of hunger."

It is interesting to see this increased sensitivity for appetite regulation via contradictory mechanisms of action (MOAs).
This paper didn't have the data required to pinpoint what exactly these MOAs were, as conceded by the researchers, but it's a good guess that it involves certain peptides that are actively involved in short & long term satiety signalling within the neuroendocrine system. To support this hypothesis there is data showing Ghrelin (the main hunger hormone) to be suppressed after lifting and peptide YY (a weak satiety hormone) to be increased after cardio, at least in folks with a normal circadian rhythm (this is another key factor behind appetite regulation).
However, the multi-factorial nature of appetite regulation makes it likely that there is no singular MOA at work.

Summary

Cardio is not equally effective for everyone as the primary method of fat loss :)
If your one of those people, like me, that finds their hunger levels increasing due to cardio then I would recommend cutting back because the acute anorexic effect will NOT counteract the chronic orexigenic one.

Appetite regulation is an incredibly complex, and flexible, signalling system.
Considering it would take a wide variety of drugs to to target each individual signal, it would be foolish to assume something like cardio will automatically help keep everyone fuller for longer during dieting. Or that it is something everyone needs to do when dieting for that matter.

Last edited:

ron1204

Elite
Reaction score
You posted this at a great time for me. Trying to do a slow cut to drop 5 pounds of fat and been doing cardio 3 to 4 times a week but dam my appetite is hard to control. It almost defies the purpose if i dont have self control.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
You posted this at a great time for me. Trying to do a slow cut to drop 5 pounds of fat and been doing cardio 3 to 4 times a week but dam my appetite is hard to control. It almost defies the purpose if i dont have self control.

It does defy the purpose hence my "acute anorexic effect will NOT counteract the chronic orexigenic one" comment.

Adherence is THE most important thing when it comes to dieting. If your doing something that makes it difficult to adhere to the diet, then you need to make a change.

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score
F
Summary

Cardio is not equally effective for everyone as the primary method of fat loss :)
If your one of those people, like me, that finds their hunger levels increasing due to cardio then I would recommend cutting back because the acute anorexic effect will NOT counteract the chronic orexigenic one.

That sums me up right there. When i'm not doing any cardio, I actually rarely feel hungry. I have experimented with IF a lot in the past and it was always SUPER easy for me.

If I throw in a 30 to 60 minute cardio session a few times a week, my hunger literally never subsides.

Good stuff as usual Zilla.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
You'll forgive me Zilla if I have no data, graphs, pie charts or tables to offer here but I'd like to give my own experience with diet and cardio that may help others. There's no two ways about it; the feeling of hunger is suppressed by exercise. Our bodies are 1,000's of years older then us and has a few good self-preservation mechanisms. The body prioritizes things so the fight or flight takes precedence over foraging. In short, running from a saber-tooth tiger is more important then eating and picking berries. Put on your track shoes and put down the fork.

For me, timing is everything. If I can have some protein, say some yogurt about 3 hrs. before I hit gym for 2 hrs. and then put in 30 min of cardio, I can avoid being hungry. The hunger typically doesn't show up until an hr after my body gets out of its fight/flight mode but when it shows up, it shows up with a vengeance. If there's not something ready within an hr after my cardio, I will tear my arm off and eat it.

I think you can put any physical activity in with "Cardio". I feel once you figure out when your body is going the give you the, "I'm hungry", you can work the activity in accordingly and push back the munchies.

Slightly off the topic but thought I'd share. "Sharing is caring." :32 (16):

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
You'll forgive me Zilla if I have no data, graphs, pie charts or tables to offer here but I'd like to give my own experience with diet and cardio that may help others. There's no two ways about it; the feeling of hunger is suppressed by exercise. Our bodies are 1,000's of years older then us and has a few good self-preservation mechanisms. The body prioritizes things so the fight or flight takes precedence over foraging. In short, running from a saber-tooth tiger is more important then eating and picking berries. Put on your track shoes and put down the fork.

For me, timing is everything. If I can have some protein, say some yogurt about 3 hrs. before I hit gym for 2 hrs. and then put in 30 min of cardio, I can avoid being hungry. The hunger typically doesn't show up until an hr after my body gets out of its fight/flight mode but when it shows up, it shows up with a vengeance. If there's not something ready within an hr after my cardio, I will tear my arm off and eat it.

I think you can put any physical activity in with "Cardio". I feel once you figure out when your body is going the give you the, "I'm hungry", you can work the activity in accordingly and push back the munchies.

Slightly off the topic but thought I'd share. "Sharing is caring." :32 (16):
Disappointed Snake! I wanted a fuking pie chart! But, I agree with the appetite suppression with exercise in "My experience", hell even shoveling snow off the drive way works for me.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
There's no two ways about it; the feeling of hunger is suppressed by exercise...

The hunger typically doesn't show up until an hr after my body gets out of its fight/flight mode but when it shows up, it shows up with a vengeance. If there's not something ready within an hr after my cardio, I will tear my arm off and eat it.

Translated: "the acute anorexic effect will NOT counteract the chronic orexigenic one" as I stated in my summary of the paper :)

Cardio is a pretty useless appetite suppression tool if your hunger levels come back stronger after the activity - acute suppression is useless for fat loss, a long term goal.

I feel once you figure out when your body is going the give you the, "I'm hungry", you can work the activity in accordingly and push back the munchies.

For some people yes, for others no.
Temporaily pushing back the munchies only for them to return later on, stronger than ever is not a good trade-off when dieting.

ron1204

Elite
Reaction score
Translated: "the acute anorexic effect will NOT counteract the chronic orexigenic one" as I stated in my summary of the paper :)

Cardio is a pretty useless appetite suppression tool if your hunger levels come back stronger after the activity - acute suppression is useless for fat loss, a long term goal.

Temporaily pushing back the munchies only for them to return later on, stronger than ever is not a good trade-off when dieting.

i understand both points made by you and snake, I'm no professional, but i do believe you're both right because it can vary by person. perfect example, me and my girl. we work out together and do cardio together most of the time. When i get home, I'm starving (rippedzillas observation) and my girls appetite is shut down for more than an hour (snakes point).

snake

Veteran
Reaction score

I think you need to train in that zone long enough that you can not physically eat the difference. Another trick I use, 16 oz of water to displace the empty stomach. I also like a sugary candy as soon as I get in the house.

Best chart I could find given the topic.

cherry-pie.jpg

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
i understand both points made by you and snake, I'm no professional, but i do believe you're both right because it can vary by person. perfect example, me and my girl. we work out together and do cardio together most of the time. When i get home, I'm starving (rippedzillas observation) and my girls appetite is shut down for more than an hour (snakes point).

That's also exactly what this paper found - it works for some, not for others.
The take home point is to tailor the approach to the individual rather than making a universal assumption about something working for everyone.

New Threads