Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Nay

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
The pawn shop near my work took had this 22 short that I threw down 20 bucks on to layaway with payments of 55 bucks for the next two months.

Wondering if I ought to get the LTC to legally carry it in my pocket or just legally have it in the glove box without an LTC

View attachment 3567

Last edited:

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
Get your LTC. A pistol will do you absolutely zero good if it's not on your person.

Having said that, a .22 is not a great pistol for self defense. It doesn't have enough stopping power to take down someone quickly enough. A .380 or better yet, a 9mm with a magazine of hollow points is what you need.

Last edited:

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Ditto Ron. A .22 short will slow them down, probably, but don't count on it stopping anyone.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
x3 - get your CCP / LTC and yea, look to a 9MM for yer EDC.

Mine is a gen 3 Glock 19. Small enough to not print but enough stopping power to put down a threat if I need it.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'll soon be getting my LCT. It's a long story but I've been chasing it for a few years now. Some towns make it about impossible.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That gun is only good for premeditated murders and fun at the range. To really kill someone with it gotta do it mob style. 1 in the skull. The slug will bounce around inside the head and shred up the gray matter.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Here we have constitutional carry. Definitely get a carry permit if your state requires. I carry a Kahr PM .40, like the brothers said, .22 is small. The purpose is to eliminate the threat, not to piss it off. For all the guys who carry, consider getting insurance. CCW Safe is $150/year for you and the Mrs. If you are in a defensive shooting, even if you are in the clear, you stand a good chance of losing everything in lawsuits and legal fees.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You always get the LTC. You go for the highest license your state offers. Then you make the personal decision on how much you want to use it/what you want to do with it.

I have a class A, high capacity license in my gun-retarded state. I barely ever carry. I'm scared I will shoot someone.

RustyShackelford

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Agreed on the .22
I carry an LCP 380 in a pocket holster. I would rather tote a 9mm, but the LCP fits comfortably and doesn't leave a huge silhouette that says " I have a big ass gun in my pocket"

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
Ya all the guys have already stated this, but that 22 would be handy for popping off maniacal squirrels while deer hunting, or plinking cans, but it is not suitable for self defense. Not even close to being suitable. Plus, reliability is one of the most important factors when looking for a self defense weapon for CC... You NEED to be able to rely upon your weapon at all times, everytime. IMHO, spending the coin to get a firearm that you KNOW will not have reliablity issues is the difference between life or dealth for yourself and your loved ones. Not something im willing to skimp on, ya know?

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Get your LTC. A pistol will do you absolutely zero good if it's not on your person.

Having said that, a .22 is not a great pistol for self defense. It doesn't have enough stopping power to take down someone quickly enough. A .380 or better yet, a 9mm with a magazine of hollow points is what you need.

my buddy whose a marine scout sniper always runs around with 2 - 9's, both with hollow points

hes a little loose in the head tho, he did too many tours in too short of a amount of time. He'll stop by for a drink, or to smoke.......and then has to unload all his toys. But shit, its fun, we end up cleaning and triple checking stuff.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
I'm sure it won't blow any heads off but I think I better start small get the hang of it then get something bigger.

This will be my first hand gun (I have shot 22 rifles 410g 20g and 12g shotguns in the past).

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I think either way life's gonna be uncomfortable for a while. There are very good defensive shooting courses that can be done as well as going to seminars related to defensive shooting situations. It very important to know how to initially present yourself/the situation to LEO who initially respond to the scene. Remember, you shoot to stop the attack. How that ends up, well, better broke than dead.

Reaction score
a 22 can kill a person or help with self defence, I mean it isnt a preferred round for self defense, but in the right hands can be a valuable asset no doubt.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Good read there BRICKS.

That's another thing that scares me about having a larger caliber weapon.

The chances of you killing a dude with a 380 or larger is a lot higher than just putting a couple 22 cal pills in someones belly.

Pretty sure that 22 short round is gunna hurt like a motherfukker and back someone off.

Dead men tell no tales

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
A while back I was in the market for a EDC and settled on 2 guns.
EDC is a .44 special 5 shot revolver
Nightstand is a Browning Hi Power

I have had each of these in the past and like them both so I restocked.

Zig I would hold off and wait.... go try out some other options at the range then decide. I dont like that gun you showed for anything other than a paperweight.

New Threads