Shoulder pain

IHI

Elite
Reaction score
Im sure surgery will go well, doc told me "my job is easy, ill be in and out in 30minutes, but your recovery is going to suck. 4-6 months no work, first month in immobilization sling, no movement. 2nd month pt person will move your arm forward and backwards and you dont help. 3rd month pt doc and you will begin to get a larger range of motion going on. 4th month rom will continue but they will start with a 2lb dumbbell and begin to work on getting stabilizer muscles back in shape. Then if everything goes well, you do as tour told, by month 7 it should be healed as well as it will ever heal and you can then begin to bring in weight slowly but listen to your body and dont get stupid and hurt it again by trying to power thru something that feels odd"

My right shoulder i believe had a slap tear from the millions of nails ive driven over the years but being self employed you just worked through it, plus i took winters off so i assume it sorta kinda healed a wee bit during off season. But to this day if i do alot of hand nailing (side job of siding a house for example) the pain comes roaring back and that shoulder will still lock up once in awhile....but doc renews my vicatin script every year so if i have to pop it back in, ill have a day or two of pain killers to get thru, and itll somewhat go back to the normal pain ive experienced for many many years.

Thats why my left shoulder suddenly shitting the bed last fall literally took me by complete suprise. Hope i dont regret this, our high school strength and conditioning coach blew his shoulder apart literally in a lifting competition last year and it took 3 surgeries to rebuild it with new parts. 7months after his last surgery and all that rehab hes making huge strides to get back to where he left off pre injury, so i got his pt gal lined up for me post op, we'll see how it goes. Prepaid gym membership ahead 4 months since pulling machine pins for leg work on machines will obviously be easier than possibly ruining "good" shoulder lifting big cookies one handed onto a squat bar lol.

But buddy that had the surgery said realistically, your going to hurt so bad that any exercise is going to kick your ass with pain no matter what or how you do it, he tried, said about week 5 was when he was able to get thru a half a normal workout at 1/4 of the weight he was used to slinging, and said the mental aspect is the hardest being handicapped by your own body and pain level...but it will get better. Hes worked back up to clean and jerking 285 already and got his squats back upto 445x7...so about 100lbs down from where he was..but still fantastic considering the almost yr hiatus

Reaction score
Wow sounds like hell of a long road to recovery but at least by the sounds of it you can recover from it maybe not 100% but at least it's not hopeless like I was scared of. I'm hoping mine is nothing to worry about I did a shoulder workout today and it didn't bother it to terribly bad so maybe it's getting better

IHI

Elite
Reaction score
Funniest part is everybody has been telling me to stop bar work, its the absolute worst thing on shoulders, use dumbbells. Oddly enough, dumbbells shut me down faster than anything when doing any bench type exercises, it roared in quick and extremely intense, whereas bar work, alot of the time i could get thru a routine....except incline, I absolutely cannot do any sort of incline or overhead pressing moves, very fast show stopper.

I highly recommend instead of doing bench presses, do floor presses. Lay on the floor and set the pin height accordingly for the bar. This way you cannot over extend your shoulder joint, because the floor is absolute 90*. Really want to burn the ever living shit out of your chest while doing floor presses? Leave your legs flat out, dont bend your knees for added strength; this places all the load on your pectoral and tricep muscles absolutely. You can try it with dumbbells too and do like i did, experiment with every wrist angle possible to find the happy spot where it doesnt kill your shoulder. I tried every angle to manipulate the shoulder joint from as closed as possible to open, but thise dumbbells were the death of my work out during any pressing chest motion flat, decline, and incline...but the bar i could get away with a full workout sometimes

Reaction score
Ya man I am even still having a hard time with incline and over head I'll do incline dumbbell presses with a low weight hurts a little but I just kinda push through it and I don't do over head presses.
But damn I like the sound of these floor presses I'll have to rig something in my gym to do em but I definitely want to try them
Oh ya by the way where I'm from it's a small town with no gym so I have to have my own gym in my basement lol

Reactions: IHI

IHI

Elite
Reaction score
Just a quick think, if ya got some lumber laying around, cut them to 24" lengths and start stacking them up like bricks nailing them together to get required bar height for racking/unracking. On that lay bar will need to sit on, cut 4 chunks to nail on as bar stops so bar cant roll off the blocks forward or backward.

Even when my shoulder gets better its forever going to be a staple exercise, the emphasis on the chest is amazing, especially when doing it flat legged. My bad sticking point is just off my chest, so i was able to handle more weight for more reps than i could think of using a bench. When i was researching the floor press, it was all mutually agreed that once you go beyond 90* that the load is almost all of the shoulders, well not all, but it places them under extreme off angle loading and isnt good for the shoulder..at all.

Another option if you got $200 you can part with, i bought this body solid power rack from jesup gym equipment just up the road from me. Its not fancy, not awesome like a rouge unit, but it was the only one thatd fit my low basement ceiling and sky is the limit, saved my bacon many times too trying that 1 more rep thing
http://www.bodysolid.com/Home/BFPR100/Best_Fitness_Power_Rack

Reaction score
Sounds like to me that you would benifit a hell of a lot more from the floor presses compared to regular benching. Maybe It help me get a better chest.
I like that body solid power rack I'll have to get me one some time I can use that for a squat rack and the floor presses and barbell presses it would be a perfect addition to my gym
Hopefully they will hire me soon at the UFA so I can start investing more into my gym lol

New Threads