Chris Bell lousy diet advice

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129159/

Not saying they're bad....just saying they're unnecessary and removing them is beneficial to fat loss.

Removing carbs can be beneficial to fat loss bc it usually tends to reduce calorie intake. At the same time, some people cannot control carb intake and could benefit from removing them completely from their diet. I don't think that makes a case for keto being the best diet out there, for some sure, but not for all.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
having done keto and by meaning i did 6 months of being scared to death of eating a single blueberry... all i can say is **** that diet. lost about 10 pounds of muscle and gained 5 pounds of fat. If you feel like torturing yourself and going backwards then go for it. Although, if you ever doubt yourself, there are tons of people on the internet that worship the diet and will preach to you all that carbs do is make you fat and you dont need them.
maybe you just didn't do it right lol.
Calories n vs calories our still applies.
I lost ~60# in a few months on a Keto diet with weekly carb loads (anabolic diet) and gained strength the entire time.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Removing carbs can be beneficial to fat loss bc it usually tends to reduce calorie intake. At the same time, some people cannot control carb intake and could benefit from removing them completely from their diet. I don't think that makes a case for keto being the best diet out there, for some sure, but not for all.

So the body switching fuel sources from glucose to fat is not not preferential?

A calorie is a calorie is the argument being presented by the "any deficit will do" crowd--and calorie is a calorie from a WEIGHT standpoint. Nobody here wants to lose weight. They want to lose fat.

We can post study after study making the case for and against keto, but at the end of the day, as a weight classed athlete in school and a classed lifter even till this day, I've been around a lot of "dramatic" cuts. The most painful--but most successful have always been keto diets. Few people choose to do them, but when in a jam, it's the defcon 1 option.

Keto is also particularly effective because you can set your calorie intake to almost negligible net weight loss, drop the carbs and test with keto sticks until you have ketones present in the urine and recomp without being reliant on scale weight. Keto promotes positive changes in blood lipid profiles, increases insulin sensitivity, and in a high protein environment--burns fat stores for fuel.

The diet is trendy, and while I hate trendy shit myself, that is the reason why most people tend to reflexively reject it. Its just too damn effective to dismiss.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
having done keto and by meaning i did 6 months of being scared to death of eating a single blueberry... all i can say is **** that diet. lost about 10 pounds of muscle and gained 5 pounds of fat. If you feel like torturing yourself and going backwards then go for it. Although, if you ever doubt yourself, there are tons of people on the internet that worship the diet and will preach to you all that carbs do is make you fat and you dont need them.

If you gained weight on any cutting diet, you can't count. That's a math problem.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
He ****ing looks like yoda or some shit. Eat carbs you must not

0PGraCa.png

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
That fool is eaten up with drugs. Man...anything he espouses could be easily written off. Even a broken clock...

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
That guy looks like hes all cracked out and on the verge of death... but I guess thats the look some people are after these days....

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
So the body switching fuel sources from glucose to fat is not not preferential?

I'm the acute setting sure it looks great on paper but over the chronic setting differences are negligible. Consider two isocaloric diets:

One doing keto one doing lower fat higher carbs.

Sure the keto diet burns more fat but you're also eating more fat which is preferentially stored as fat. If you're in a deficit consider it X pounds lost.

Taking in more carbs means less fat burned acutely bc you're not using fats as you're primary energy source. But the flip side to this is you are also storing much less fat bc you're eating less of it and carbs don't get stored as fat unless in some pretty extreme circumstances. Considering the same deficit, you lose the same X pounds of fat in the long run. In the short run I agree there will be a difference but that's due to glycogen and water loss in the first several weeks.

A calorie is a calorie is the argument being presented by the "any deficit will do" crowd--and calorie is a calorie from a WEIGHT standpoint. Nobody here wants to lose weight. They want to lose fat.

Yes but where do you think the weight will be lost from assuming adequate protein intake? It will come from fat as well.

We can post study after study making the case for and against keto, but at the end of the day, as a weight classed athlete in school and a classed lifter even till this day, I've been around a lot of "dramatic" cuts. The most painful--but most successful have always been keto diets. Few people choose to do them, but when in a jam, it's the defcon 1 option.

Sure when you're constrained for time bc you can lose an additional 10lbs or so when you include the glycogen and water weight....but you said we are talking about fat not simply weight.

Keto is also particularly effective because you can set your calorie intake to almost negligible net weight loss, drop the carbs and test with keto sticks until you have ketones present in the urine and recomp without being reliant on scale weight. Keto promotes positive changes in blood lipid profiles, increases insulin sensitivity, and in a high protein environment--burns fat stores for fuel.

The diet is trendy, and while I hate trendy shit myself, that is the reason why most people tend to reflexively reject it. Its just too damn effective to dismiss.

Look at the following study by NUSI, a group that favors low carb diets. I mention that bc if anything , they would be biased for keto/low carb diets.

http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2016/07/05/ajcn.116.133561.abstract

The study used a metabolic ward and the gold standard for measurement, plus the team of researchers leading it are among the best in the field. About the only critiques I can see are that it didn't have a control group and wasn't randomized but again, any bias would have been in favor of the low carb diet.

Being in a hypocaloric state improves insulin sensitivity and positive lipid changes regardless of how much or little carbs or fat are eaten. So how much do you attribute to the lack of carbs vs the deficit in calories? I can't find a study to say either way but I can find studies showing high carb diets, up to 65%, to improve the health markers you're talking about.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'm the acute setting sure it looks great on paper but over the chronic setting differences are negligible. Consider two isocaloric diets:

One doing keto one doing lower fat higher carbs.

Sure the keto diet burns more fat but you're also eating more fat which is preferentially stored as fat. If you're in a deficit consider it X pounds lost.

Taking in more carbs means less fat burned acutely bc you're not using fats as you're primary energy source. But the flip side to this is you are also storing much less fat bc you're eating less of it and carbs don't get stored as fat unless in some pretty extreme circumstances. Considering the same deficit, you lose the same X pounds of fat in the long run. In the short run I agree there will be a difference but that's due to glycogen and water loss in the first several weeks.

Yes but where do you think the weight will be lost from assuming adequate protein intake? It will come from fat as well.

Sure when you're constrained for time bc you can lose an additional 10lbs or so when you include the glycogen and water weight....but you said we are talking about fat not simply weight.

Look at the following study by NUSI, a group that favors low carb diets. I mention that bc if anything , they would be biased for keto/low carb diets.

http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2016/07/05/ajcn.116.133561.abstract

The study used a metabolic ward and the gold standard for measurement, plus the team of researchers leading it are among the best in the field. About the only critiques I can see are that it didn't have a control group and wasn't randomized but again, any bias would have been in favor of the low carb diet.

Being in a hypocaloric state improves insulin sensitivity and positive lipid changes regardless of how much or little carbs or fat are eaten. So how much do you attribute to the lack of carbs vs the deficit in calories? I can't find a study to say either way but I can find studies showing high carb diets, up to 65%, to improve the health markers you're talking about.

Doc, you are living proof that eventually statistics will soon be on both sides of any contentious argument.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1373635/
^keto study
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1479303/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2202650/
^carbs negative effects on lipid profiles

A hypocaloric high-protein diet may also help maintain lean body mass and positive nitrogen balance in comparison with a hypocaloric high-carbohydrate diet (16)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3687312/
^Impact of carbs vs no carbs on metabolic risk factors.

In my drunken state, everything you said with a study, I found one that says otherwise...assuming I can read.

All of those damn studies can easily be refuted with even more asinine studies...gold standard and such. But at the end of the day, when bodybuilders want to cut adipose tissue, the macro they eyeball first is the CARB. Carb cycling, low carb, no carb...whatever. Carbs are the preferred source of fuel in the body. You cannot escape this fact. When carbs (simple especially)are present, they are generally prefered over fat. To deny is a lie.

Also, to say that the calories subtracted from carbs are added to fat--complete misdirection. I'm all about winning an internet war, but we all know that a low carb diet is generally accepted to be MUCH higher in protein. In fact, add the carbs Cals to the protein when I really need to shed the fat. Only a dipshit takes the carbs out and adds the freed up calories to the fats. That kind of moron would deserve to be fat. And to boot, most people know that they should be consuming more MCTs and not LCTs because they are more readily available to be oxidized and less likely to be stored as fat.

There a good ways and bad ways to drop fat. VLcarb is a fantastic way. People piss on it for the same reason they piss on cardio. It's not cool to do a "fad."

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
He ****ing looks like yoda or some shit. Eat carbs you must not

0PGraCa.png

That's his wife? Does he have money or something? 12 inch cock? Cus he's a fukking doofy looking bastard and she's sexy as fukk. Id put all the carbs he doesn't eat in between her ass crack and eat them for him.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
$5 bucks says I wake up to some mind-**** of a reply that I am too simple to understand. God damn it. Shouldn't have hit post. But I can't stand having a "restore auto-saved content" in every thread. Pisses me off....like an e-stutter.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
its good to know theory in anything you do..For me to get lean it takes a combo of cardio and high protein medium to low carbs and fats..All the carbs have to be oatmeal,rice,sweet potatoes and fruits..This after years of fukking around with food and cardio is the best and only way for me to get shredded..

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
God damn it. Shouldn't have hit post.

I've been dealing with some health issues that prevents me from having the energy to make a detailed response on this topic but do NOT say that shit ^^^ again.

I crave intelligent debates and you & doc are certainly valuable enough members to produce that. Do not starve me of my sustenance :)

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I've been dealing with some health issues that prevents me from having the energy to make a detailed response on this topic but do NOT say that shit ^^^ again.

I crave intelligent debates and you & doc are certainly valuable enough members to produce that. Do not starve me of my sustenance :)

Dear god...I've tricked zilla into thinking I'm all smart and shit. Phase one complete.

Yessir. Best wishes regarding your health situation. May you have a speedy recovery.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lobliner is a bit of a tool IMO, but his article here explains IF in approachable and realistic terms.

Intermittent Fasting – Is Skipping Breakfast a Deadly Decision?

8 votes, average: 5.00 out of 58 votes, average: 5.00 out of 58 votes, average: 5.00 out of 58 votes, average: 5.00 out of 58 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5 (8 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

Intermittent fasting was the biggest diet craze about two years ago. Internet celebrities like the Hodge Twins were the poster boys for this eating lifestyle. People were reporting epic fat loss results, and my email box was flooded with questions about it.

Admittedly, I have never been a fan of intermittent fasting. I feel that depriving yourself of food for an extended period is a recipe for disaster. Starving in the morning and then binging at night is unhealthy.

Related: Intermittent Fasting – Is it For You?

And who can live without having eggs and toast at 7am, especially after a night of lovemaking with their significant other?

In general, I hate the word diet but I LOVE the concept of a lifestyle. From my viewpoint, I want people to lose the fat in a sustainable way in which they can see themselves adhering to that for life.

Afterall, any diet guy worth their weight in whey knows that most people who lose fat gain it all back. Usually they add even more, becoming even fatter than when they started.

But I am a nerd, and I love data. So, I read all about intermittent fasting. What I found out was that I LIKE THE HECK out of intermittent fasting… For some people. Read on and find out if intermittent fasting is right for you.

Intermittent fasting benefits and negatives.
The Latest Research – Is Fasting Deadly?

The latest “news” on intermittent fasting is kind of BS, but it’s been circling around the Internet. Here is the scoop.

Published in a damn good journal, the American Heart Association Journal Circulation, researchers from Columbia University said that meal timing and frequency are indicated in several health issues including heart disease, strokes, high blood pressure, blood glucose levels, obesity, and reduced insulin sensitivity.

In addition, they found that daily breakfast eaters have fewer issues with high cholesterol and blood pressure. Meanwhile, people who regularly skip breakfast are more likely to be obese, have poor nutrition, or be diagnosed with diabetes. [1]

Now, before I get into this, the participants of the study were not really using intermittent fasting. Also, they were making unhealthy snack food choices later in the day.

While not completely a representation of intermittent fasting, this study did match some intermittent fasting protocols and their feeding periods. But for the most part I am not a fan of correlation studies and population studies. This is pretty much a throw-away study.

But here we find data that skipping breakfast is not a good idea. It’s good to look at data from all sides of an argument.. After reading so much about the benefits of the intermittent fasting diet, it’s nice to read something to offset it!

Intermittent Fasting – The Good

This diet has data up the yin-yang. Without getting too resource heavy, here are some benefits I found hidden within some Pubmed searches:

Brain Health: Intermittent Fasting can benefit brain health by potentially increasing a brain hormone “brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF)” and prevents brain damage due to strokes. [2] The data presented here is done on rats. [3] It very well might have some epic neuroprotective benefits.
You might live longer: Fasted rats lived considerably longer (83%) than non-fasted rats. [4]
Insulin levels drop, which can encourage fat burning and less fat storage. This can also help prevent and treat type 2 diabetes. [5]. Study done in humans.
Enhanced metabolism: Intermittent Fasting can enhance your metabolism. [6] Study done in humans.
Inflammation reduction: Intermittent Fasting can inflammation in the body. [7] Study done on humans.
Heart health: Intermittent Fasting can be heart healthy. [8]
You’re probably thinking, “Intermittent Fasting is the best diet ever, sign me up!” While I am Impressed with these results and all of this delicious scientific data, I am also looking beyond the data. Because wherever there is one study, there is another study stating the exact opposite.

But after reading all of this amazing gospel on intermittent fasting, what can possibly be negative?

Intermittent Fasting – The Not-So-Good

Not good for athletes
Not the best for lean mass gains.
Creates a potential for eating disorders.
Those are the downsides in this diet-guy’s honest opinion.

Eating Issues and Adherence

This is all opinion, so take it for what it’s worth. For most of us, forgoing breakfast and meals for an extended period of time is not optimal. Like I said in the opening of this article, breakfast is social. To think that this will be adhered to for life is a bit crazy for most, since it doesn’t fit cultural norms.

I also know that purposely fasting all day and then cramming in all macronutrients at night isn’t the best for you mentally. With eating disorders a seemingly normal occurrence in fitness and the general population, this is a definite concern of mine.

Athletes

Eating frequent meals can help with a lot of things in athletes, including:

Less lean mass loss when on a diet to lose fat. This was done on boxers, very good data here in an extreme athletic setting. [9]
Increase in muscle mass and anaerobic power. [10]
Increased fat loss. [10]
I look to the ISSN (International Society of Sport Nutrition) for guidance here. They state:

“These trends indicate that if meal frequency improves body composition, it is likely to occur in an athletic population as opposed to a sedentary population. While no experimental studies have investigated why athletes may benefit more from increased meal frequency as compared to sedentary individuals, it may be due to the anabolic stimulus of exercise training and how ingested nutrients are partitioned throughout the body. It is also possible that a greater energy flux (intake and expenditure) leads to increased futile cycling, and over time, this has beneficial effects on body composition.

Even though the relationship between energy intake and frequency of eating has not been systematically studied in athletes, available data demonstrates that athletes (runners, swimmers, triathletes) follow a high meal frequency (ranging from 5 to 10 eating occasions) in their daily eating practices. Such eating practices enable athletes to ingest a culturally normalized eating pattern (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), but also enable them to adhere to the principles of nutrient timing (i.e., ingesting carbohydrate and protein nutrients in the time periods before and immediately following physical activity/competition).” [10]

What Can We Learn From This?

We can learn a lot from all bodies of data.

We see that controlling insulin can be healthy for health conditions. The intermittent fasting diet is very proficient at this, as is the keto diet that I discussed here. Adherence is the key to any long-term weight management strategy. The intermittent fasting diet might not be the best for this.

Athletes seem to do better with frequent meals based on current data, although more studies on intermittent fasting and athletes need to be completed. Sedentary or recreational exercisers can certainly benefit from intermittent fasting if it fits their lifestyle.

If you don’t like breakfast, intermittent fasting might be perfect for you.

Most intermittent fasting program are around the 16 hours of fasting and 8 hours of feeding per day. So your schedule would be:

11pm-3pm: FAST
3pm-11pm: FEED
From what I can tell, it is personal preference as to whether you train after a meal or in a fasted state.

Is There a Middle Ground?

Drop Factor Book
Click here to order your copy of The Drop Factor Diet.

I like a diet that combines some of the benefits from the keto diet and intermittent fasting diet, such as insulin and appetite control, but can also have the nutrient timing benefits of a frequent-feeding diet. I also want something with no deprivation that can be adhered to with ease for years or even and entire lifetime (at least the principles of it).

The closest thing we have to that is a book that combines years of research, experience and application, my book The Drop Factor: Transformation Edition. You can read about it and get yours here.

The Take Home

There is no perfect diet. The best diet is one that works for YOU. if you think Intermittent Fasting is right for you, TRY IT.

You might love it and it is a darn good diet. If you are an athlete interested in performance and enjoy eating frequently, do that! If you like bacon and eggs and feel you can live life best in a state of ketosis, slaughter a cow and get to work with a keto diet.

And if you want to try a diet that I feel is the best of all worlds, read my book at DropFactorBook.com and give that a try.

Whatever you choose, give it some time to work and realize that long-term adherence to a lifestyle is the key to weight management success. Because being sexy and enjoying what and how you eat… That’s not a game!

References

1) “Meal Timing and Frequency: Implications for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association.” Circulation, circ.ahajournals.org/content/early/2017/01/30/CIR.0000000000000476.
2) “Dietary Restriction Increases the Number of Newly Generated Neural Cells, and Induces BDNF Expression, in the Dentate Gyrus of Rats. – PubMed – NCBI.” National Center for Biotechnology Information, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11220789.
3) “Age and Energy Intake Interact to Modify Cell Stress Pathways and Stroke Outcome.” PubMed Central (PMC), www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2844782/.
4) www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/212538.
5) “Alternate-day Fasting in Nonobese Subjects: Effects on Body Weight, Body Composition, and Energy Metabolism. – PubMed – NCBI.” National Center for Biotechnology Information, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15640462.
6) “Enhanced Thermogenic Response to Epinephrine After 48-h Starvation in Humans. – PubMed – NCBI.” National Center for Biotechnology Information, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717.
7) “Alternate Day Calorie Restriction Improves Clinical Findings and Reduces Markers of Oxidative Stress and Inflammation in Overweight Adults with Mod… – PubMed – NCBI.” National Center for Biotechnology Information, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17291990/.
8) “Short-term Modified Alternate-day Fasting: a Novel Dietary Strategy for Weight Loss and Cardioprotection in Obese Adults. – PubMed – NCBI.” National Center for Biotechnology Information, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19793855.
9) “Effects of Meal Frequency on Body Composition During Weight Control in Boxers – Iwao – 1996 – Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports.” Wiley Online Library, onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1600-0838.1996.tb00469.x/abstract;jsessionid=F041F6F3BB83DEAEC583C41961B674FE.f02t03.
10) “International Society of Sports Nutrition Position Stand: Meal Frequency | Full Text.” Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-8-4#CR49.

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
$5 bucks says I wake up to some mind-**** of a reply that I am too simple to understand. God damn it. Shouldn't have hit post. But I can't stand having a "restore auto-saved content" in every thread. Pisses me off....like an e-stutter.

I love that auto restore saved content shit. Do you know how many times it's saved my ass from losing a lengthy, referenced post? I get a warm and fuzzy feeling in my belly everytime I see the little bastard box say "content saved" or whatever lol

New Threads