The Period and Competing

Cristi

Lady Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I'm new at this forum so forgive me if this is a repeated topic. Anyone have any tricks to avoid your period when is show time ? I competed once last year and my perdido decided to show up 2 weeks earlier which was competing day! Any help will be appreciate it!

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Take birth control. A friend of mine is on birth control and she takes it for months at a time without getting her period. U just don't stop for the week you're suppose to get it or whatever.

Dex

Elite
Reaction score
My wife has a IUD. The only blood that comes out of there now is from when it tears up my pp head.

Lilo

Trusted Lady
Reaction score
I think it should be very rare to have a female competitor without amenorrhea... generally at that low of a body fat level, no one really worries about periods anymore.

Take birth control. A friend of mine is on birth control and she takes it for months at a time without getting her period. U just don't stop for the week you're suppose to get it or whatever.

That is, um... not the best advice. The last thing you need as far as physique is to face the effects of high estrogen levels come peaking, and on birth control you'd be dealing with much higher values than your body would naturally produce. Generally girls who are on BC actually stop it before the show. Of course you can still take it and manipulate your symptoms in other ways, but it's a rather counterintuitive.

Best thing to do is embrace the fact :)

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
I think it should be very rare to have a female competitor without amenorrhea... generally at that low of a body fat level, no one really worries about periods anymore.

That is, um... not the best advice. The last thing you need as far as physique is to face the effects of high estrogen levels come peaking, and on birth control you'd be dealing with much higher values than your body would naturally produce. Generally girls who are on BC actually stop it before the show. Of course you can still take it and manipulate your symptoms in other ways, but it's a rather counterintuitive.

Best thing to do is embrace the fact :)

Well she asked for a way not to get her period. I told her how and come to find out its pretty normal. But thanks for the useless reply. All u can tell her is to embrace it? She can control her estrogen easily if she chose that route

Last edited:

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Well she asked for a way not to get her period. I told her how and come to find out its pretty normal. But thanks for the useless reply. All u can tell her is to embrace it? She can control her estrogen easily if she chose that route

The primary advantage of BC during prep is to avoid the normal hormonal fluctuations and the resulting periodic water retention that comes with that. Since some forms of BC come with their own water retention sides, they can be counterintuitive. So no, Lilo's advice wasn't "useless".

My point is that the TYPE of birth control makes a big difference. For example, most competitors use Nexplanon or a 3rd gen progestin like desogestrel (I like this one quite a bit) that tend to have neutral effects but some, like drospirenon are pretty much as anti-anabolic as your going to get (not good).
Those who choose not to use BC and don't have amenorrohea (a rare group among competitors) tend to go with Nolva, something like 10mg EOD, to deal with the water retention.

Beyond that, its impossible to give more specific advice without knowing more about the OPs situation (age, type of comp, enhanced or not, etc) :)

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Wasn't what I'd call useless; this is why I asked what type of comp.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My wife got her period 2 days before her last show a few years ago and she was well under 10%BF - bodpod verified. It screwed her actually.

OP - best bet is to get pregnant a month before the show to be safe...

That's funny cause she got pregnant and now you're screwed.

Aoutest

Reaction score
I shouldn't know these things but I have it on good authority that the, um, FemmyCycle, um insert, is very effective.

New Threads