Serratus Anterior

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
Allright so in July I permanently screwed my ability to bench, especially flat barbell. Tore my left anterior axillary fold off the tendon. I think I'm about as healed up as I'm gonna get.
I can do incline dumbbell presses now and that's about it, and even those are relatively light. So the short version of a longer story is that any real benching, of any type, capable of stimulating growth or strength gains is, for at least now, a no go situation.
Now to my question.
When I did heavy incline barbell presses there was something about my form that inevitably did a great job of hitting my serratus anterior. I could count on them getting sore after a good heavy incline session. I cannot do this exercise any longer. So I'm wondering about the best movements for this now.
I think I understand the function of this muscle, I've tried other exercises meant to hit the serratus but with little to no luck.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

And yes!! I know it probably deserves as much consideration as calves to some of you all........but hey I kinda dig having that lumpy bumpy muscle showing up whenever I lift my arms to smell my pits!
:32 (6):

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm with Snake on this one. Seems to me that the serratus get hit as a byproduct of other exercises. I guess pullovers, if you can do those.

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
The sports facility physicians explained to me that the tendon is there intact, sewing the muscle back to it just does not work. They liked to use the analogy of sewing steak together and then it simply pulling itself apart again. I did do as they recommended for PT which amounted to little more that stretching and maintaining ROM while it healed, moving to light weight lifting and going by my comfort level. With them expressing a concern for cramping of the muscle that may require me seeing them for more extensive therapy to keep it from worsening.
Yeah Snake and Bricks I agree with just being in relative lean shape keeps the SA showing but I know that mine would grow when I was able to keep them stimulated, and currently they have lost some size certainly cause I can't hit them like you said as a byproduct of other movements. And sadly pullovers are one of the movements I cant do now at least I cannot get a good deep stretch when I do them. But that may improve. Until recently I couldn't even do pullups, that initial pull from a dead hang was just to much pull on that pec, but I'm back to carefully doing them now, so who knows. Things may continue to improve.

Two other things.....how in the hell do I respond with multiple quotes.....and Bricks what happened with that young pup that was coming to your place to try and put you in your place at the gym, did you leave him on the floor puking??

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Your PT sucks dicks.

Laser therapy graston etc etc etc

Your loss of ROM and pain is likely due to the remaining scar tissue. Get that taken care of.

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
I've read on graston and think we may have a chiropractor that offers it, I'll dig deeper.
No knowledge of laser therapy. I'll learn myself up a bit.
It's no excuse, if I really wanted better treatment I would have found it somewhere outside of my little community.
Pillar with yourself or your client base do you have first hand experience with this type of injury?
Anything you could share as far results and relative recover percentages prior to tearing a muscle from the tendon.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
The sports facility physicians explained to me that the tendon is there intact, sewing the muscle back to it just does not work. They liked to use the analogy of sewing steak together and then it simply pulling itself apart again. I did do as they recommended for PT which amounted to little more that stretching and maintaining ROM while it healed, moving to light weight lifting and going by my comfort level. With them expressing a concern for cramping of the muscle that may require me seeing them for more extensive therapy to keep it from worsening.
Yeah Snake and Bricks I agree with just being in relative lean shape keeps the SA showing but I know that mine would grow when I was able to keep them stimulated, and currently they have lost some size certainly cause I can't hit them like you said as a byproduct of other movements. And sadly pullovers are one of the movements I cant do now at least I cannot get a good deep stretch when I do them. But that may improve. Until recently I couldn't even do pullups, that initial pull from a dead hang was just to much pull on that pec, but I'm back to carefully doing them now, so who knows. Things may continue to improve.

Two other things.....how in the hell do I respond with multiple quotes.....and Bricks what happened with that young pup that was coming to your place to try and put you in your place at the gym, did you leave him on the floor puking??

That young pup hasn't visited yet. I texted my daughter what I did for legs today and said to show him. His response was "no f***ing way". Can't wait to get him in my gym...

New Threads