Why low protein, high fat keto diets are ****ing stupid

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
I once got into a "debate" with an individual on another board who was convinced that low protein keto diets are just fine at preventing muscle loss due to the fat intake. I originally put this down as 1 narrow minded idiot but then saw the same mindset occur again & again in real life and across the boards (thankfully, never here). I believe this has a lot to do with the anti-protein trend that I've mentioned before.

So I've decided to dive into some basic biochemistry to explain WHY fat intake alone does NOTHING to prevent muscle loss when dieting. You won't see any references here because this is stuff I learnt at college and can be found in any decent biochemistry textbook (I recommend the one by Berg, Tymoczko & Stryer) so without any further delay let's dive in...

The Krebs cycle, Acetyl groups & Oxaloacetate

In order to burn carbs for energy, you first need to have the acetyl group enter the Krebs cycle (also known as the Citric acid/TCA cycle), which is the main cycle used by your body to produce ATP (your body's main energy source).
Now, in order to get that acetyl group into the cycle you MUST have some Oxaloacetate (OAA) lying around so the two can hook up and form citrate.

Where do you find this OAA stuff?

Well, this is called a "cycle" for a reason. Usually things just go round and round, being re-metabolized (the acetyl group is removed from the OAA) and there is no need for any "new" OAA.
However, OAA has other stuff to do outside of the cycle - one of which is to help produce new amino acids such as Aspartate. In fact, the Krebs cycle has a lot of intermediate steps between the OAA-Citrate hook up that involve a bunch of stuff leaving to make other amino acids (alpha ketoglutarate can leave the Krebs cycle to make glutamate, etc) but I won't go deep into this for fear of losing you folks.
The net result is, no matter who leaves during the intermediary steps, you end up with less OAA and you NEED to find some fresh from elsewhere.

What happens on a normal diet

With plenty of carbs available, OAA comes from Pyruvate (which comes from glucose). Pyruvate is mostly used to generate acetyl groups but some will also generate OAA so those two can hook up and enter the Krebs cycle.
The key point here is that carbs are the main provider of OAA under normal conditions. Fat can be broken down into the acetyl groups via beta-oxidation BUT these acetyl groups NEED OAA in order to enter the Krebs cycle and carbs are doing the supplying.
In fact, you could say that the fat is entering the Krebs cycle and is "burning" while OAA is the "flame" that allows it to enter the cycle. This is where the “fat burns in the flame of carbs” saying comes from; it means that acetyl groups derived from fat can only enter the Krebs cycle to be metabolized for energy if sufficient OAA can be derived from carbs.
Remember, fats can generate acetyl groups but not OAA.

So where does protein fit into this little energy circle?

Just as OAA can produce amino acids, amino acids can enter the Krebs cycle and produce OAA (two-way street) by the same process just reversed. This means the "fat burns in the flame of carbs" saying isn't quite accurate - it's more like "fat burns in the flame of OAA" because both carbs & protein can provide the OAA.

What happens on a traditional keto diet (low carb, decent protein & fat)?

Before going deep into detail here I want to add that OAA doesn’t just leave the Krebs cycle to make amino acids, it also leaves the cycle to make glucose via gluconeogenesis (making glucose, your main energy source, from non-carb sources). Keep that in mind.

So, we don't have enough carbs to supply OAA.
OAA itself is being depleted since some of it is leaving to produce new glucose.
Protein is going to be driven to enter the Krebs cycle but we still have that OAA that is being made leaving for the process of gluconeogenesis so OAA depletion seems inevitable.

Now, what is also happening in the liver (home of gluconeogenesis) is that fatty acids are being taken up, entering the mitochondrion, getting beta-oxidized to acetyl groups and with the end result being a massive oversupply of said acetyl groups.
When you combine this massive oversupply of acetyl groups with the massive under supply/depletion of OAA, you have a recipe for mass accumulation of acetyl groups that CANNOT enter the Krebs cycle because the cycle is operating less effectively and there are too many acetyl groups.
This is the event that causes ketogenesis: oversupply of acetyl groups to a depleted OAA pool where the acetyl groups cannot enter the Krebs cycle. Acetyl groups have nothing else to do except condense with one another to make ketones :)
Ketones are an energy source so they reduce the burden on the Krebs cycle, which means less depletion of OAA. This works because we still have SOMETHING to make OAA with, namely protein.

So if both carbs & protein can make OAA, and fat can only make the acetyl groups, what happens when you rely on a high fat/low carb/low protein style keto diet?

You lose muscle. It's as simple as that.
You NEED to get that OAA and if isn't coming from diet then it's coming from somewhere within the body. Hmm...I wonder where your body can find a decent supply of amino acids? Oh yea...your gainz. Those muscle gainz are going bye bye. Loss of lean mass is going to be triggered in large part by depletion of OAA, and only carbohydrate/protein together can supply OAA (both of which your stupidly not supplying).

Summary
There you go. A biochemistry lesson, showing what your body does with these energy sources, to justify why low protein keto diets (low protein diets in general actually) are ****ing stupid and there is no justification for it if your goal is to maximize body recomp.

Last edited:

CardinalJacked

Squat King
Reaction score
Also, the simple argument of "you don't eat carbs" is a reason why it's stupid.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Could you define "low protein"

In the context of a ketogenic environment: below 0.8g/lb of LBM for young, fat, inactive men - higher for most others (maybe not young, inactive, fat women where it would probably be 10-20% lower).
Why such a specific number? Because we know from this that going below that amount leads to early muscle loss during the adaptation phase in that very group.

Also, the simple argument of "you don't eat carbs" is a reason why it's stupid.

Not really.

Telling a Type 2 diabetic, or a healthy individual with poor insulin sensitivity, that they MUST consume carbs when dieting is pretty much setting them up for failure in a lot of cases.
Fat/carb macros has always been an individual specific thing - tailor it to whatever helps the person adhere to the plan.

Last edited:

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Why would a bodybuilder eat low protein?

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Why would a bodybuilder eat low protein?

For the same reason the majority of people are stupid :)
As I said in the article, its a trend...a very real trend...that people are following to go against the grain more than anything else. Same thing happened with fats & carbs.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Reason I asked is because I rarely break 1g/# lbm. While I'm not necessarily trying to pack on mass, I have no problem maintaining it either. And strength has continued to rise.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
For the same reason the majority of people are stupid :)
As I said in the article, its a trend...a very real trend...that people are following to go against the grain more than anything else. Same thing happened with fats & carbs.

I am running into this a bit with some of my buddies who have been asking me what I do for my diet... Come to find out, its their wives that have them on a low protein diet.... and they are just too lazy/pacified to think for themselves. This low protein BS diet is probably being heavily pushed in some women's magazines and other woman for women type stuff... I think a major issue is that men have become pacified and tame, almost as if leashed, this is what our culture desires them to be, and our inability to think for ourselves is what is causing the breakdown. This is affecting every aspect of our culture/lives. And its not good.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
Reason I asked is because I rarely break 1g/# lbm. While I'm not necessarily trying to pack on mass, I have no problem maintaining it either. And strength has continued to rise.

I could be wrong here, but I assume it would be a correct presumption that taking AAS would lessen the negative impact, or at least help your body to be more proficient with protein synthesis while taking in less protein....? However, it seems that the more protein the better.... like you are doing okay now at the amount you are currently eating, but would you be doing even better if you were able to increase your protein to 1g/lb of body weight?

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Well I read it twice and I think I'm with Zilla on this from my own experience. I have done my share of dieting from a real world experience and there's nothing here for me to disagree with.

I personally like to shoot for 1g of protein/ LEAN body mass and will slip to .75 at times.

I think when people speak about what works for them regarding losing weight we need to be cautious. There's a big difference on what happens to and within the body when we're talking about the first 5 lbs compared to the last 5 lbs.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score

As an advanced athlete, which I consider you to be, I think your selling yourself short with 1g/lbm when dieting regardless of whether its keto or not.

The protein intake/AAS relationship is an interesting one because yes, it allows you to get away with less protein intake due to enhanced efficiency of use but it also allows you to build muscle in an energy balance that normally isn't conducive to building anything regardless of protein intake.
So unless your against getting bigger, weight classes or whatever, I don't see why you wouldn't add at least an extra 0.2g/lbm into the mix.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Tool if you put on weight I will kill you. So will your water cuts lol

mistah187

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Keto is moderate protien high fat. If it works it works. Mostly keto is used to cut fat and it is amazing at doing that. You will not always be jacked and full but that's part of dieting. Sometimes you have to looks like shit to get to where u wanna go.
Keto however is not for everyone and sometimes a low carb diet works better for them. I could post articles and studies to refuse every single one of your arguments but that is a waste of time. Going out and doing these diets is the only way to know how they work. I don't care what u read somewhere. I've done it. Keto works wonderful at what vital is meant to do, cut fat. The I telnet is full of I formation, you can always find studies and things to steer u into believing whatever your beliefs are.
Bottom line is dieting is a fickle thing and not eberyone responds the same to any diet, of training for that matter.

mistah187

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Keto still keeps protien between a gram and a gram and a half per lb. Reason being extra protien "can" be turned into glycogen. Very crude explanation for lack of texting on phone. Lazy.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Keto is moderate protien high fat. If it works it works. Mostly keto is used to cut fat and it is amazing at doing that. You will not always be jacked and full but that's part of dieting. Sometimes you have to looks like shit to get to where u wanna go.
Keto however is not for everyone and sometimes a low carb diet works better for them. I could post articles and studies to refuse every single one of your arguments but that is a waste of time. Going out and doing these diets is the only way to know how they work. I don't care what u read somewhere. I've done it. Keto works wonderful at what vital is meant to do, cut fat. The I telnet is full of I formation, you can always find studies and things to steer u into believing whatever your beliefs are.
Bottom line is dieting is a fickle thing and not eberyone responds the same to any diet, of training for that matter.

He is discussing low protein high fat diets not moderate protein high fats.

Keto isn't better than other methods for losing fat it's just better for some who prefer it.

You can be jacked and full when on a diet. Carb and sodium intake is all it takes. You may have moments where you are depleted but that can often be remedied Ina single meal.

If you have studies to refuse (sic) everything he said you should definitely post those. Because what he posted is basic or maybe at times intermediate physiology. We are all the same species so the ground rules of our physiology apply to all.

Also you kind of accused zilla of cherry picking his info. I don't think that's fair. He has himself posted a thread on how to tell when a study is deeply flawed and should be disregarded.

Lastly dieting is not at all fickle. Caloric deficit = fat loss. That never changes.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Keto is moderate protien high fat. If it works it works. Mostly keto is used to cut fat and it is amazing at doing that

Ok first of all, learn some reading comprehension.
This was never about whether keto works or not, any diet that induces a caloric deficit works. It was about the recent trend of LOW protein keto diets and why they are ****ing stupid. Like seriously, its the title of the thread.

I could post articles and studies to refuse every single one of your arguments but that is a waste of time. Going out and doing these diets is the only way to know how they work.

I know for fact that you cannot post data to refute my "arguments" because I'm not making any "argument" - I'm telling you how the body works. So please go ahead and post this imaginary, non-existent data, that counteracts basic biochemistry that you clearly have no idea how to comprehend. Go on, post it.

Oh and don't give me the "its waste of time" bullshit. This is the science section, if your going to call me out on my facts you better have some ****ing evidence to support you.

I don't care what u read somewhere. I've done it. The I telnet is full of I formation, you can always find studies and things to steer u into believing whatever your beliefs are.

Classic response from someone who has NO IDEA how to interpret data. And again, if you don't care what the data says, your in the wrong sub-forum.

I know that your WAY out of your league on this but I want to see how long its going to take you to realize that or are you going to just let your ego run wild and embarrass yourself? Let's find out :)

Last edited:

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm down almost 7 lbs in week 3 of a diet. I'm eating plenty of carbs...

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Biochemistry flash back! I just broke out in a cold sweat.