Tore abdominal while squatting- on video

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
I am hoping you guys can tell me what I did wrong here to prevent this type of injury from happening in the future. I was doing 5x3 @ 80% which is 552. I was in my 3rd set when I felt the most horrible tearing sensation of my life. I have never experienced anything like it. It was like someone held a piece of leather against my lower ab and ripped it like a sheet of paper. I was terrified when it happened because I thought I had gotten a very bad hernia. I crawled to my phone and called a friend who drove me to the ER. After being there a few hours the doc examined me and said it was a very unlikely spot for a hernia to happen and thinks it is just a bad muscle tear. The exact location is about half way between my waist line and my member, directly center and to the left. He prescribed pain meds and and advil and told me not to lift for two week. I don't want to sound like a bitch, but it is excruciatingly painful if I try to move my legs, twist my body, or accidentally contract my ab muscles.

I really do not know what I did wrong. I have lifted more weight than that in the past few weeks for the same number of sets and reps. Everything felt OK going into that set except for a slightly sore/strained left groin muscle. I am pretty nervous nervous about even thinking about squatting ever again but I am sure you guys will tell me I can't get by on box squats for the rest of my life.

Palmetto

Reaction score
Man that looked painful. Hope you get well soon.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
How tight is your belt?

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Hernias can happen from your ballbag to your belly button. That had to be a zinger to drop you.

Best of luck healing up, and hopefully they can be sure of what happened.

Georgia

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Holy **** me in the ab hole. This looks awful. Sorry bro. Hate you had to experience it.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Stop with the never squatting again nonsense. You'll heal up man. That's what muscles do, they heal.

Reaction score
Shit Nissan. That's crazy...

You'll squat again my man. It will heal up. Just take it easy for a few weeks. No doubt you will be back

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I know the feeling Nissan. I am just getting over a nasty calf tear myself. Just squatted for the first time since December on Sunday morning. I can barely walk I am so sore lol

This shit happens and some of it is preventable. To protect my abdominal wall I take my mid sized ex wife and crush my abs with it. Roll it up and down.

Anyway, you will squat again. Rest up for a bit and when it stops hurting get with a physical therapist. Laser therapy will be key here in getting moving again.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well that looked like it sucked.

BTW - 5x3 at 550 is moving some good weight! Especially with bare knees.

You'll be back. Look on the bright side, you could have torn your actual ball bag. Treat the rehab like it's more important then training, and you will come out ok.

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Isn't it an inguinal hernia. Rest and keep an eye on it.

trodizzle

Elite
Reaction score
Holy shit man! No clue what you hurt but that looked painful, I hope you figure out what went down and heal up. So sorry.

IHI

Elite
Reaction score
Holy smokes nissan, my gut hurt watching that

God speed towards recovery brotha, youll squat again, brotha, but like many have said, use the belt to help prevent future damage.

I didnt tear any abdominal muscles but had a small abdominal hernia from yrs back with my construction business and heavy, off kilter lifting, that grew like crazy once i began squatting/doing deads until i had to have it fixed with mesh repair; then once i could lift heavy again, blew intestine thru another portion next to that repair, they called it a surgical hernia since the mesh stitching weakened area next to it, and that where 2nd blow thru happened.

Been good since though

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
No fun indeed. Heal up man, you'll be back at it. And strong work squatting that weight.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Typo in the original post. That was 352 not 552.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Typo in the original post. That was 352 not 552.

I'm 280. You had me wondering whether I should even bother continuing to lift or just give up, cause I can't even squat above 500 for a single:)

352 x 3 is still a strong lift for your weight. Hope your recovery goes well.

Last edited:

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Yes, I feel like a bitch for sure. Especially sitting here in my recliner drinking non-green beer on st pattys day because I cant go out.

New Threads