Tore abdominal while squatting- on video

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
4 weeks after injury it still hurts and I can not even come close doing a lunge or any other leg exercise. I just saw another doctor this morning who thinks it will be 6 months until the muscle and ligament are completely healed.

Uggghhhhh

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
Video link isn't working. Hope you get better soon. I have never torn a stomach muscle but have torn my left pec. The sound alone can make you nauseous. I was out for 6 months before I could do anything but took almost a year to fully recover from it. By fully recover, I mean I was able to bench again but the tear is still noticeable.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
I think I am going to set up an appointment with an orthopedist.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Just an update...

Since the injury I have slowly started increasing intensity of training except for squat. I still can not squat the bar without pain. I saw an orthopdist yesterday who ordered me to get an MRI Tuesday. Xrays showed the pelvis and joint to be good so it is likely a tendon tear. I hope it does not require surgery. I can't stand holding back when training.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Focus on healing man. Work what you can with bench and other shit but priority should be recovery.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
I saw the 4th doctor today, a surgeon who specializes in hernias. Luckily, it is not a sports hernia. However, it is a completely torn adductor longus where it attaches to the pelvis. He wants me to work on PT for 1 to 2 YEARS before we resort to surgery. He said he does not think that muscle will ever be as strong as it once was after this kind of tear and he hinted all around that I will never be able to squat heavy again.

So, he referred me to a PT and gave me a bunch of exercises to do with a time table for recovery.

This is such a shitty day.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Cant squat even with a narrow stance? Should be a lot easier on the adductors.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Narrow stance is what I was doing when I got hurt.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I saw the 4th doctor today, a surgeon who specializes in hernias. Luckily, it is not a sports hernia. However, it is a completely torn adductor longus where it attaches to the pelvis. He wants me to work on PT for 1 to 2 YEARS before we resort to surgery. He said he does not think that muscle will ever be as strong as it once was after this kind of tear and he hinted all around that I will never be able to squat heavy again.

So, he referred me to a PT and gave me a bunch of exercises to do with a time table for recovery.

This is such a shitty day.

Thats awful news. I'm sorry that you're dealing with that. I can't imagine how frustrated you must be. Keep your chin up, you never know; doctors can be wrong and patients can surprise doctors with determination and hard work.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Today I saw a third surgeon for a third opinion. This guy was THE guy for adductor injuries.

The news was not good. The adductor longus is torn almost completely accross. It is slowly healing but will never be as strong as it was. If I ever squat heavy again I risk a total tear in which case surgery can not be performed and the muscle will remain seperated for the rest of my life. If that happens it is not the end of the world for walking because I have two other adductor muscles, but it would likely be the end of lifting and other physical demanding hobbies I have
His recommendation is to never attempt another squat PR
He said keep training but not do any sets of squats with less than 10 reps. He told me to watch a bunch of Kelly Starrett video and WORK ON MOBILITY. He gave me some other adductor mobility exercises and told me the most important thing to prevent future injury is mobility there.
I live a very active active lifestyle with the main passion in my life being riding quads. I need my adductor for that and for my job.

So, I am going to hang up my dream of doing a meet one day in an effort to have a lifetime of other physical activities. I will be 2/3 powerlifter and 1/3 bodybuilder. I am sure the change in squat training will drag down my dead lift, but it is what it is.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Terrible news man. But at least you can still train.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Today, at 5 months since injury, was my first lift with a belt. It felt good.

NoQuarter

Reaction score
Looks good! Glad to see you still working out and that it is not hurting.